Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in Dublin - hidden costs??

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice re renting.

Re. costs/charges: I assume the tenant will have to pay for the usual utility bills - electricity, gas, refuse etc, but what else is there to pay? if it's an appartment block, is there some sort of maintenance fee to pay?

when they say work reference in the ad, would a new contract be enough?

many thanks.
    sf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

A reference is usually justa simple letter from your employer on headed paper saying you are employed by them, as for hidden costs such as maintenance this should be paid by the landlord and has nothing to do with the tenant this maintenace is about upkeep of the property which is the landlords responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

thanks Rob_I,

that's great - I lived in countries where this maintence cost came on top of the rent, sometimes as much as 20-40% extra, hence my worry.

re. work ref. again, it's a new job, but should get the contract/letter of employment any day now.

many thanks
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a list of typical bills here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75233
    scaryfairy wrote: »
    They want to know that you have the money to pay the bills and / or aren't a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Depends,I live in apartment complex all I pay is rent and ESB,everything else is provided

Hi,

I need some advice re renting.

Re. costs/charges: I assume the tenant will have to pay for the usual utility bills - electricity, gas, refuse etc, but what else is there to pay? if it's an appartment block, is there some sort of maintenance fee to pay?

many thanks.
    sf

You need a permanent contract to rent,if its a landlord he may give you benefit of doubt

• Advertisement

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    You need a permanent contract to rent,if its a landlord he may give you benefit of doubt

:eek: ah. it will be only a mat. leave contract :( for about 11.5 months... however, I don't know if they do bank checks as well, 'cos that would show that we have enough regular income to pay whatever there is to pay (mr sf has a perm contract in Cork and we have a joint account). I am hoping that being non-smoker, professional female, staying there only during the week, might be good enough... please..

but what I meant to say is: thanks

and our current landlord in Cork gave me a glowing ref., should help, no? can get ref. from past employer too, just don't want to bother them unless it's really required.

anyway, will see..

and our current landlord in Cork gave me a glowing ref., should help, no? can get ref. from past employer too, just don't want to bother them unless it's really required.

anyway, will see..

They dont care if you smoke or drink etc,all they want to know is are you quiet and wont cause problems hence the landlord reference,and most importantly they want assurances you can pay your rent every month and on time hence proof of a permanant contract,if you have a reference from a landlord happy days,but you'll need proof that you've been in your job at least 6 months and have permanant contract,especially during these bleak times,an agency wont touch you,your best bet is through a landlord and hope he/she is willing to compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

anyway, will see..

No they wont do credit checks they just want to know your in employment really in fact while most say they want a work reference rarely is this a sticking a point i have found

Rob_l wrote: »
    No they wont do credit checks they just want to know your in employment really in fact while most say they want a work reference rarely is this a sticking a point i have found

They dont do credit checks,but they make sure you have a stable permanant job to pay them,and most will ring your employment,agnecys wouldnt entertain her

• Advertisement
Advertisement