Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising clarification

• 21-01-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Dragan posted
    "It doesn't matter, the night was run for a profit, this was advertising, with ONE post on the board.

The only thing up for discussion here is my stupidily not deleting the thread as a should have.

From now on, anything that looks like advertising will be shot down quicker than a Spitfire over Berlin.

I have tried to arrange a lenient attitude towards advertising over the SDMA and MMA boards, as we have so many posters here who run events and such and to be honest i am just tired of this type of thing.

If i let one go, i'm a bad guy.
    If i shut one down, i'm a bad guy."

So Just to get some sort of clarification, i see MMA seminars and events advertised on here all the time. Unless i am mistaken you are charged admission or entry fees into these things. I presume there is some profit to be made, big or small. So how do they differ from an MMA after party or social get together with a cover charge?
    I would just like to know as there seems to be double standards depending on if you're known or not around here.
    IMO i think you should be allowed mention your event (seminar, promotion, afterparty) if its of interest to the people who post on here, if you make a profit from it well done. If you don't enjoy it, Nobody is forcied you to go so chalk it down to experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

So Just to get some sort of clarification, i see MMA seminars and events advertised on here all the time. Unless i am mistaken you are charged admission or entry fees into these things. I presume there is some profit to be made, big or small. So how do they differ from an MMA after party or social get together with a cover charge?
    I would just like to know as there seems to be double standards depending on if you're known or not around here.
    IMO i think you should be allowed mention your event (seminar, promotion, afterparty) if its of interest to the people who post on here, if you make a profit from it well done. If you don't enjoy it, Nobody is forcied you to go so chalk it down to experience.

I am currently trying to decide exactly what way i want to go with this, so i'll post an answer for you all when i decide what i am doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

in fairness a nightclub thing and a seminar are not the same. It wasn't double standards, the warriors mma shop got worse treatment then the nightclub guy so if fairness he was given the benefit of the doubt.

it's rare anything of a commercial nature pops up so no need to get your knickers in a twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

A seminar and a fight promotion aren't the same thing either but they are all MMA related and of interest to the users of this board.
    I don't wear knickers:confused:

Seminars and MMA events are not gonna be censored. I encourage people to post about those kinds of things. It'd be a shame if people stopped posting things like that here.

However people abusing the forum needs to be addressed. We had a thread last week with a lad tryin to flog his tickets to 93 on eBay and posting the link here. Now, had he been offering the tickets for face value to posters here, and the first to PM him got them then that would have been cool, a bit of forum goodwill. But trying to use this forum to up the price (and the profit) of his eBay item is not what people had in mind when this forum was set up. This forum certainly wasn't set up for people to make a profit out of free advertising. Seminars don't usually see anyone make profit and MMA events, well we have to support the sport don't we. However, we don't have to support your nightclub events etc (unless you have a cage in the club and are hosting fights ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Touche Neil1984, I totally agree and had great night at the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

i see MMA seminars and events advertised on here all the time. Unless i am mistaken you are charged admission or entry fees into these things. I presume there is some profit to be made, big or small.

Might want to presume again...

I am bringing Chris Brennan over for his 5th visit this year and last year was the first year I broke even ie it didnt cost me anything. Transatlantic flights, Seminar fees, accomodation,transport to and from Belfast etc arent exactly cheap. Im certainly not doing it for profit, Im doing it so that my students and outside people get a chance to train with someone I feel is one of the best at what he does.

I was offered tickets on 2 or 3 occasions for the post UFC mma party, whilst Im sure the motivation behind the event was genuine, I dont drink, dislike hanging around town on a Saturday anyway and dammed if I was going to pay €30 on top of 2 already overpriced UFC tickets not to mention overpriced food in the o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I agree with Dave.Last years seminar with Chris was the first time I broke even myself and that was because I cut costs to a minimum..........which turned out to be a mistake as well on my part.
    How else are we to advertise seminars etc if not on the various forums?I defy any instructor/promoter on the boards to say that they make a profit on every event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Okay guys, here is my take on it.

The general rules that i go by are:

1) Does the person has a history of posting on boards? If yes, then check point two.
    2) Does the person have a history of positive input to the community? If yes, then check point three.
    3) Is there benefit to boards.ie and it's members to have the information on the board?

Those are really my three rules when I decide to bend the ones that boards have laid down for us to follow.

I have no problem at all with the likes of David and Roper and JK letting us know about events, seminars, fight nights etc. Personally i think it is pretty fantastic that we have the chance to chat and share opinion with these guys, who are all heavily involved in the scene. It's also nice to be able to offer a little bit of support to them as well, and maybe get a few extra people in the door at fight nights, or for classes etc.

However, when someone has no history in the community and is just using boards as a way to advertise, i will happily shut that down, be it the MMA shop, the afterparty, whatever it is.

If these people want to advertise then they can take it to the proper channels, it's just that simple.

It should also be noted, the this will always, and i mean ALWAYS come above the benefit for the users. If someone comes on here offering a trip to Russia to train with Fedor for 50 bucks, i'll still shut it down.

Any questions?

Advertisement