Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party Counciller resigns disillusioned with party

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Cork council member Chris O'Leary has quit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

rats

ship

sinking

I'd have more respect if he'd quit before they went into government with FF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He quit in December but they were trying to convince him to come back since then, but he announced his decision today, I think the cuts in the number of buses are going to cause the Green party some issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A very interesting development for the Greens in Cork, this will be a very big blow to their structure in the city. I used to work with Chris very briefly at a community development centre in the northside and he is a solid and committed activist; however his council seat is based on the other side of the city, a RAPID area also, Mahon.

Mahon consists of about half of the South East Ward, both in terms of size and population; it is an overwhelmingly working-class area with a long history of deprivation. Currently there is now only one party-aligned candidate from the Mahon area, which is Sinn Féin. Personally I predict that Chris will retain his seat, albeit loosely, and the SF candidate will get in as well as the ward has been expanded into a 7 seater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Chris has seen the future. It ain't Green. I think it's pretty spineless. He did'nt see fit to resign over the cancer vacine or the medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This is a blow to the greens, Chris was pretty active for them,

Gormless looking pretty depressed:

http://www.johngormley.com/underconstruction.html

He would throw himself in, but greens are not biodegradlable. He's hoping to be reclylced as a FFer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Villain wrote: »
    I think the cuts in the number of buses are going to cause the Green party some issues

+1 The policy of charging €200 for having a parking space in the City Centre (is it just Dublin City Centre?) is very obviously going to cause even more hatred for them.

FF are making sure the Greens don't survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They're screwed tbh. I don't see how anyone but the most extreme eco-nut would vote for them after their performance of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Bronwyn Maher is thought to be the next to leave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

spadder wrote: »

It been like that for months!! Interesting to see theyre being destroyed even before they are up and running :)

turgon wrote: »
    It been like that for months!! Interesting to see theyre being destroyed even before they are up and running :)

This site is currently closed for maintenance - please visit www.we were elected after promising sun, moon and stars, but we sold out, let down our grass root support and hepled bertie shaft the taxpayer.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i think another councillor left in Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

This would be a major break for the Greens. They have lost more than enough local reps in the past 18 months...one a prominent as Maher will be a major blow. Co-optees dont carry the same weight, and unless they are family based, find it difficult to maintain seats.

If this continues to happen the Greens canrest on the laurels, wait to get slaughtered at the locals as established councellors like Maher and Childers walk the plank, before getting well and truly torn apart in 2012 (Cuffe, White, Gormley, and poetntially Gogarty or Sergent getting the jackboot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Looks like the wobble from government has started. If they are having issues now, wait 'til the savage pay cutbacks start and they start closing hospitals...

I gave them a first preference vote in the last election and never again. I didn't vote for this sh*te...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

He would throw himself in, but greens are not biodegradlable. He's hoping to be reclylced as a FFer

Best thing that could happen him is comeone come up behind him and f*ck him into that river that he is standing in front of there...

Looks like another one is going to walk the walk instead of talking the talk according to this mornings papers. She's called a press conference for this morning...

http://www.greenparty.ie/people/bronwen_maher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

I find them the most pointless polictical party we've ever had,yeah the environments important but lets face it,who cares,we are more concerned about our own lives and our loved ones in the present then if the planet dies in a million years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Irlbo wrote: »
    I find them the most pointless polictical party we've ever had,yeah the environments important but lets face it,who cares,we are more concerned about our own lives and our loved ones in the present then if the planet dies in a million years

I'm sure your children will thank you for that sentiment. I don't get why people still think that the impacts of our abuse of the environment are way off in the distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

She's left. On Pat Kenny now.

Green party in govt is a disgrace :mad:

Lovely here comes a General Election, the last thing we need

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

taconnol wrote: »
    I'm sure your children will thank you for that sentiment. I don't get why people still think that the impacts of our abuse of the environment are way off in the distant future.

Ive got a mortgage,loans,kids,insurance,tax,and everything under the sun to worry about,the environment and its problems are low on my worries list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Villain wrote: »
    Lovely here comes a General Election, the last thing we need

BM is a cllr not a TD.

And yes actually an election is exactly what we need so that we can put in parties that dont allow major borrower mates to withdraw deposits from anglo bank, post-nationalisation. Bastards :mad:

Out, out, out - general election now

I really don't see how people think a General Election is going to help us, I truly detest what FF have done in power but this State is the middle of a huge mess and a 4 week general election with false promises is the last thing this state needs.

The Greens need to sit tight for the sake of the State imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Irlbo wrote: »
    Ive got a mortgage,loans,kids,insurance,tax,and everything under the sun to worry about,the environment and its problems are low on my worries list

But can you not see that you are not separate from the environment? You need clean air, food, recreational facilities, clean water, your waste to be disposed of, etc. These are all things that depend on the environment. The environment's problems are your problems. Look at all the people and businesses in Galway that reaped the rewards of bad environmental (ie water treatment) planning.

The taxes that you pay are being badly managed by this government (Greens included) and that ends up costing you and the environment. You probably spend a lot of time commuting - if proper planning had been implemented, you would have decent public transport to avail of: better for you and environment.

The idea that it's us vs the environment is not a constructive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

taconnol wrote: »
    You probably spend a lot of time commuting - if proper planning had been implemented, you would have decent public transport to avail of: better for you and environment.

The idea that it's us vs the environment is not a constructive one.

So are you defending the Green or just the idea that we have an impact on the environment? Whatever about the planning, the greens have totally dropped their policies to do with public transport. Standing by while Dublin bus and Irish rail cut services. In this time we need our public transport more.

The on the ground greens are right to be jumping ship in protest as this is not the Green party that were elected into government!

murfie wrote: »
    So are you defending the Green or just the idea that we have an impact on the environment? Whatever about the planning, the greens have totally dropped their policies to do with public transport. Standing by while Dublin bus and Irish rail cut services. In this time we need our public transport more.

The on the ground greens are right to be jumping ship in protest as this is not the Green party that were elected into government!
    Oh, I'm not defending the Greens at all. I voted for them in 2007 and am very disillusioned.

My point was that the idea that we are somehow separate from the environment and that environmental issues are something that don't affect us is a false one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If the Greens have any desire not to completely disappear they will kick up a major fuss over the next controversial policy FF try to introduce or the next scandal etc. and issue an ultiamtum to FF that will eventually lead to the collapse of the government. They must realise the extent to which they have alienated there voters, and the longer they stay in power the more likely they are to disappear after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Chris has seen the future. It ain't Green. I think it's pretty spineless. He did'nt see fit to resign over the cancer vacine or the medical cards.
    That's fairly cynical. I know nothing about the man but I can see how, as a Green Party representative, he could sit through (in fact feel obliged to sit through) the healthcare fiascos provided he still felt the Greens could make an impact on the environment. This is what Gormley has been spouting for the last year, and it would sort of make sense, except that the Greens, having already dumped a ton of their key environmental policies from the election manifesto, are now presiding over an environmental disaster.
    carlop wrote: »
    If the Greens have any desire not to completely disappear they will kick up a major fuss over the next controversial policy FF try to introduce or the next scandal etc. and issue an ultiamtum to FF that will eventually lead to the collapse of the government. They must realise the extent to which they have alienated there voters, and the longer they stay in power the more likely they are to disappear after the next election.
    If they didn't do it over the bus service cutbacks, I can't see them doing it at all, unless their grassroots members force their hand.

Advertisement