Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burns Supper??

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any Burns Suppers this weekend in Galway or indeed Ireland?? Know there one in Donegal but wee bit far away..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

leebee77 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any Burns Suppers this weekend in Galway or indeed Ireland?? Know there one in Donegal but wee bit far away..

maybe glasgow???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leebee77

riiiight.
    Helpfull indeed. Sure i will just organise my own so. cheers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

leebee77 wrote: »
    riiiight.
    Helpfull indeed. Sure i will just organise my own so. cheers
    The old dear has thrown one a few times. The haggis can be problematic to source in Galway although M&S might have it.

For a true postmodern Burns Night, the booze would have to be Scottish edition Buckfast and Purple Tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Wee, sleekit, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
    O, what panic's in thy breastie!
    Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
    Wi' bickering brattle!
    I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
    Wi' murd'ring pattle!
    :D

Haven't heard of one in Galway to be honest, Leebee.
    And Robbo's right, hard enough to find haggis here.
    Personally, I'll have a wee dram or two & some home-made tablet to celebrate Burns night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Could always go down to McDonaghs for it but ya might get a few funny glances. Had haggis down there one evening after a few and it was tasty enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leebee77

if id been more prepared i could have attempted to poach masel a wee sheep and made my own, but all that gutting and washing out the stomach takes precious time i dont have...
    For those that do here is a recipe:

1 sheep’s pluck. i.e. the animals heart, liver, and lights (lungs).
    Cold water.
    1 sheep’s stomach (empty).
    1lb lightly toasted pinhead oatmeal (medium or coarse oatmeal).
    1-2 tablespoons salt.
    1 level tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
    1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice.
    1 level tablespoon of mixed herbs.
    8oz finely chopped suet.
    4 large onions, finely chopped.
    (lemon juice (or a good vinegar) is sometimes added as well as other flavourings such as cayenne pepper)

Directions

Wash the stomach in cold water until it is thoroughly clean and then soak it in cold salted water for about 8-10 hours.

Place the pluck in a large pot and cover with cold water. The windpipe ought to be hung over the side of the pot with a container beneath it in order to collect any drips. Gently simmer the pluck for approximately 2 hours or until it is tender and then leave the pluck to cool.

Finely chop or mince the pluck meat and then mix it with the oatmeal. Add about half a pint of the liquor in which the pluck was cooked (or use a good stock). Add the seasonings, suet and onions, ensuring everything is well mixed.

Fill the stomach with the mixture, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand into. Press out the air and then sew up the haggis. Prick the haggis a few times with a fine needle. Place the haggis it in boiling water and simmer for approximately 3 hours.

Just need to find yersel a piper to pipe in the haggis then the wee thing needs addressing:

[FONT=ms sans serif, helvetica, monospaced, arial]! [/FONT]
    Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
    Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
    Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
    Painch, tripe, or thairm:
    Weel are ye wordy of a grace
    As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
    Your hurdies like a distant hill,
    Your pin wad help to mend a mill
    In time o' need,
    While thro' your pores the dews distil
    Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
    An' cut ye up wi' ready slight,
    Trenching your gushing entrails bright
    Like onie ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight,
    Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they strech an' strive:
    Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
    Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve,
    Are bent like drums;
    Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
    'Bethankit!' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
    Or olio that wad staw a sow,
    Or fricassee wad mak her spew
    Wi' perfect sconner,
    Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
    On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
    As feckless as a wither'd rash,
    His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,
    His nieve a nit;
    Thro' bluidy flood or field to dash,
    O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
    The trembling earth resounds his tread.
    Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll make it whissle;
    An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,
    Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,
    And dish them out their bill o 'fare,
    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
    That jaups in luggies;
    But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,
    Gie her a Haggis!

Now toast the lassies and laddies, dance a strip the willow and yer flying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

you can buy veggie haggis from the health shop in headford road!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mrsweebri wrote: »
    Why would anyone do such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mrsweebri wrote: »

Where in Headford Rd is it?

(Yes, the idea disgusts me. But I know a scotsman to whom I'd love to serve haggis, and his face on being told it was veggie would be priceless!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I've eaten both veggie and normal haggis before. Both are really nice but the veggie one is so different it's really a stupid substitute. It's like all these 'veggie xmas dinners' and stuff. Look, if you're going to choose to limit your diet, then you're going to limit your diet. Why look for an imitation?

• Advertisement

I've eaten both veggie and normal haggis before. Both are really nice but the veggie one is so different it's really a stupid substitute. It's like all these 'veggie xmas dinners' and stuff. Look, if you're going to choose to limit your diet, then you're going to limit your diet. Why look for an imitation?

It is quite amazing the lengths they go to to justify their eating disorder.

I don't go arranging my steak into carrot or tomato formation yet they'll consistently try to make veg look like meat with tofu rashers, veggie burgers and now replacing entrails with something altogether more pussified....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Robbo wrote: »
    It is quite amazing the lengths they go to to justify their eating disorder.

I don't go arranging my steak into carrot or tomato formation yet they'll consistently try to make veg look like meat with tofu rashers, veggie burgers and now replacing entrails with something altogether more pussified....

A steak tomato sounds rather nice. Could ya imagine having a mince meat and liver smoothie with a generous pour of pepper sauce!!! Mmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

JustMary wrote: »
    Where in Headford Rd is it?

(Yes, the idea disgusts me. But I know a scotsman to whom I'd love to serve haggis, and his face on being told it was veggie would be priceless!)

The shop is right opposite tescos, inside the same building. If he's a real scotsman i don't think he'll be fooled though, it's a totally different colour to real haggis.

Advertisement