Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing con artists - Help!

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm looking for help with a problem my friend has with a roofing job she had done. Basically, she paid a company to sort out 2 roof problems before Christmas. They were there for 2 days, took photos for insurance company to show storm damage, and seemed ligit. She paid them when they were finished and they were to drop in pics and receipt after Christmas. But they've done a runner (phones disconnected, no address) and her roof is still leaking. All she has is the company name. Eircom won't give her the billing address for the disconnected land-line so I wanted to see if anyone out there had any advice on she can do to track them down or otherwise.

There is at least one other legit Roofers out there with the same name as the crew who ripped her off. She has called them, and they told her that they're aware another Atlas Roofers van that they've seen around. And more importantly they've had 10 other people phoning them with the same problem as my friend!

Any help, suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

She's been conned, pretty much nothing can be done. Report it to the Gardai, though there's little they can do. Give them all the details anyway, and reg number for the van if she has it.

She won't get her money back, unless she can find them and bring them to civil court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

She can get their details from cro.ie

Costs a fiver or something i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What area?

MC

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

craichoe wrote: »

Costs a fiver or something i think
    Dont they have to be a limited company for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I doubt these guys are registered.

Gardai will do SFA as it's a civil matter, not criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

craichoe wrote: »

It would appear that these guys are pretending to be Atlas, when they are not part of that company at all. Just some con men. Atlas might have a case for fraud against them, but nobody else would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Sleipnir wrote: »

Gardai will do SFA as it's a civil matter, not criminal.

While the Gardai may not do anything to achieve a result for the OP.....I am not sure you are right about it being just a civil matter.

Last I heard fraud was a criminal activity that can carry a heft punishment (if the buggers are caught)

The OP should report this anyway because if enough reports are made about the same company/people and the more details that are gathered, the more chance there is (however slight) of catching these scumbags.

Conmen like these rely on people not reporting anything to the Gardai because they "can't be bothered" or "it's not worth it".

All the OP needs to do is document as much info as they can and hand it over to their local Garda station and they may be asked to make an official statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I never said "don't report it", I just said the gardai probably can't do anything for her in this case. I spent a year and a half in a house with no heat, running water or sanitation and half a roof so I know a thing or two about dodgy builders. Even though my builder actually did do something criminal which the gardai are investigating, the detective tells me that if he hadn't done that one thing, they wouldn't be investigating it as it would be a civil matter.

While fraud is a crime, doing a poor job isn't. People don't get arrested and charged for being a crap roofer.

Advertisement