Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Obama's Speech - what did it do for you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

The Raven. wrote: »
    To say ‘the white are all right’ could also suggest that all the white people are politically conservative. To say ‘the white won't have to live in fright’ could be construed as casting aspersions on other races.

The whole sentence points a finger at white people. In the interests of the ‘feel good sense’ he should have left it out altogether, as it is hideous rubbish anyway.

is was trying the follow a parallel of oppression due to racism

the original speech
    "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

some revisions

in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest,
    and in the joy for new beginning that we will do our best
    to bring the day
    . when black will not be asked to get in back, (black oppressed)
    . when brown can stick around (brown oppressed)
    . when yellow will be mellow (???)
    . when the red man can get ahead, man; (red oppressed)
    . the white won't have to live in fright; (white oppressed )

yellow could use a rewrite
    "where yellow isn't the other fellow"
    *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

So who is doing all this oppressing :confused:??

those practicing racism

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont see anyone complaining about this:

Try googling. It has incited a lot of unnecessary anger, which is growing. It was a particularly foolish thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I'll reserve judgement on Obama until some time has passed but my opinion of him is pretty positive so far.

However, I thought that the end of the benediction was totally inappropriate and somewhat offensive.

Apart from anything else I don't think that the inaugeration of a President is time for light humour.

It was Obama's hero, Martin Luther King who said
    "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin".

Well it sounds to me that the good Reverand was generalising certain ethnic groups with one negative sentence and he certainly seemed to be judging people by the colour of their skin.

"When yellow will be mellow" - are we to presume that this refers to Asians?
    Any Asian people I've met couldn't have been more 'mellow'.

"Work for%

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    We all have our opinions about that nation, but im wondering what you people thought and your views on the speech and what his Presidency will be like?

In response to the OP's question, 'What did Obama’s speech do for you?':

It reminded me that it was written by Obama’s chief speechwriter, 27 year old John Favreau. Obama was the singer, not the songwriter ;)!!

jon-favreau-obama-speechwriter-1208-lg.jpg

It is difficult to tell as yet what Obama's presidency will be like. He has a few interesting people to help him :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The bastard. He's so young! I'd love that job/to be that good/to be at all good/to have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Guess NOT one person on this board, educated on politics or not.

Does NOT have a clue about how politic's are run in America. It's so shocking. That I'm not going to bother explain what Obama is, and what is actual position in his post for the next few years. I'll just give you all a hint. He's a puppet. This could well be a dead giveaway. Get with it. seriously.

The inauguration and speech was pre ordain, pre destined, pre organised, pre examined. etc etc. He learned his words, his stances, his key punch lines, his persona, his speeking style was all put into him over the last few (maybe even years) months trained as a CFR agent. He is not the leader of this world..............:rolleyes:

His speech is almost a replica to the bull**** of Bill Clinton said in his inaugeration(bill is another genuine man, like Obama)
    Infact the patriotism, false hope, god bless America is bet into all of you every four years by each of the next American "leader". They all give you hope, to pretend another 4 maybe 8year fantasy. Give you wars, then start with "lets hope". then its you "must fear" terrorism. Get the terrorist. It's absaloute balls...........

Seriously none of you have a f***** clue, about this world:D I did my research, now you all do yourself a favour and study how the world is run and operated by. Who is actually running it, and look back at history and see which families, which leaders and of such powers of be are running the globe. Public figures such as Tony blair and George bush, don't make the case of actually ruling the world at all. They are just taking the orders. ;)

None of these puppets are actually running the show. The manager in the head office lays down the rules". I.e man behind the scenes.

stevoman wrote: »
    I watched President Obama's Inauguration speech yesterday evening live and i have to say i found it inspiring. From my opinions of being somewhon who lived in America for a couple of years and watched the Bush Administraion first hand I am delighted to see a change and to see the optimism in America spreading once again. I really think it hit an all point low about a year into Bush's second term and it is definitly time for America to lift herself up again. After watching President Obama's speech yesterday it gave me the feeling that we are going to be looking a new and better and fairer America in the future.

We all have our opinions about that nation, but im wondering what you people thought and your views on the speech and what his Presidency will be like?

What was inspiring? please tell me.

Since you lived in America, do you know much about politics? how they control the masses, and no I didn't say T.V. go and ask me, bet you'll be surprised, to know how flawed your paragraph is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

mysterious wrote: »

The inauguration and speech was pre ordain, pre destined, pre organised, pre examined. etc etc. He learned his words, his stances, his key punch lines, his persona, his speeking style was all put into him over the last few (maybe even years) months

Bull, I dont believe a politician would ever do that.

Lol, troll.

• Advertisement

politics is not funny

~bowie
    NO WAR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Guess NOT one person on this board, educated on politics or not.

Does NOT have a clue about how politic's are run in America. It's so shocking. That I'm not going to bother explain what Obama is, and what is actual position in his post for the next few years. I'll just give you all a hint. He's a puppet. This could well be a dead giveaway. Get with it. seriously.

...LARGE SNIP...

Dude...do us all a favour and take it to the conspiracy forum.

Ludo wrote: »
    Dude...do us all a favour and take it to the conspiracy forum.

Look kido. I'm discussing politics. I've done my research on American politics. I'm keen on this subject. i'm not stopping you or anybody else from giving their opinions. Unless you can prove my statements are conspiracy theory or even untrue, then fire ahead. If you don't like "reality talk" then ignore me.

If your right that it's conspiracy then everything about politics is conspiracy, at the rate you spew such ignorance to me, with no back up to your silly remark.

American politics = is about how much dollars you have, if it means wars, corruption, lies, drugs, selling arms, treachery you name if it makes profits, then your on your way to becoming big in politics in America. I've talked to many American's on this. It's the true nature of power in this country. Obama is not in any league of power. He was given the power. That is the fact. Now you can go into conspiracy theories from there if you like. But heck no need, you find out.
    Obama is a puppet, most people with cop on would know that ffs.
    A black man becoming a president out of the blue, with little political or money power background whatsoever, to becoming a celebrity the world overnight, and one of the youngest if not the youngest person in history of America to become president. Do you know much about US politics? I would like to know out of curosity??

Do your research then you come back and prove that it's conspiracy. Obama does not have the billions behind him in the beggining. He has very little power in reality. He's doing the job thats it. As I said "you don't know a slight inch about American politics" I could tell you, but I've been shot down by ignorance. So do yourself a favour and do some research ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Do you actually believe that he was actually 'groomed' by some sinister higer ups?
    I can see it now...
    Rich Evil Dude: Hey black guy, look at all my money! You wanna be my puppet president, and start wars for me and sh*t?
    Obama: Sure.
    Look kido. I'm discussing politics. I've done my research on American politics.
    Was any of this 'research' off youtube?
    Obama is a puppet, most people with cop on would know that ffs.
    A black man becoming a president out of the blue, with little political or money power background whatsoever, to becoming a celebrity the world overnight, and one of the youngest if not the youngest person in history of America to become president. Do you know much about US politics? I would like to know out of curosity??
    Well if you know so much about US politics maybe you'd know if he's the youngest president or not.....

...he's not BTW.

Do you actually believe that he was actually 'groomed' by some sinister higer ups?
    I can see it now...
    Rich Evil Dude: Hey black guy, look at all my money! You wanna be my puppet president, and start wars for me and sh*t?
    Obama: Sure.
    Rofl.....
    Was any of this 'research' off youtube?
    Nope :)
    I read,
    I do briefly anaylse World new stations. Not the bull****. But the agenda of each media groupings.
    I use the internet. To find more topics of this nature.
    I ask people too. Actually this is one of the best ways, to learn how politics runs in other countries.
    I research the dynamics of human behaviour in power and control. how?
    I observe the world.
    I look at history.
    I look at present
    I use my sense's.

Where is your research??
    What's wrong with youtube?? may I ask.

Where do you get your research the T.V??? Do you ever wonder, question, discern how this world operates. It operates by money. Money is power. The most richest people in the world DECIDE who is in. get with the basic's. The highest and most powerful sit at home, and watch the world play. Obama and Mcain and George bush are all public figures for the money owners. They are doing they're just doing the job. They get paid a god damn lot of money to do so. They are protected and looked after for the rest of their lives. You need to wake up and smell the coffee....

Unless you can prove me wrong ;) Tell me all the superficial nonsense you hear on T.V the, saviour oh Obama is voted in democratically.

Explain this one ;)
    Gore won the popular vote, and technically had more votes.
    But bush still won. So you still believe that its all unplanned ROFL. sheep follow the sheep:rolleyes: keep dreaming man keep dreaming.................
    Well if you know so much about US politics maybe you'd know if he's the youngest president or not.....

...he's not BTW.
    I said he's one of the youngest, I did state that. Roosvelt was the youngest. Obama isn't far off the mark. Lay off the sarcasm. We are adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Explain this one ;)
    Gore won the popular vote, and technically had more votes.
    But bush still won.

Thats the way the US system works. Electoral colleges etc. I dun reesearched it on that thar intarweb.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mysterious, this is your one and only warning: keep the conspiracy theories on the conspiracy theories forum.

You may ask: who says they're conspiracy theories? The answer is: I do, and on this forum I'm the NWO, and my word is final.

Don't mistake this for an invitation to discuss the subject.

Advertisement