Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking Anew in the Irish Times

• 21-01-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The Irish Times run a column on the bottom of the letter's page, every Saturday with a Christian message.

I usually read it and think it's pretty good as it generally focusses on the parts of Christianity I like, namely the humanistic elements and it's also very pro - Science.

It also is well able to reach out and comment in a positive sense on non Christian world views. One time it quoted Bertrand Russel and another time, it clearly stated to respect the position of atheism and to realise the size of a claim a Christian or God believer was actually making.

Anyone else read it? And if so what do you think of it?

To me it's intellectual Christianity and an enjoyable read.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Hi,
    The Irish Times run a column on the bottom of the letter's page, every Saturday with a Christian message.

I usually read it and think it's pretty good as it generally focusses on the parts of Christianity I like, namely the humanistic elements and it's also very pro - Science.

I have encountered very little anti-science Christianity on this side of the Atlantic. Why do you make it sound unusual?
    Maybe my view is coloured by attending a church with so many doctors!
    It also is well able to reach out and comment in a positive sense on non Christian world views. One time it quoted Bertrand Russel and another time, it clearly stated to respect the position of atheism and to realise the size of a claim a Christian or God believer was actually making.
    Christians in my experience tend to have a much more liberal view of other religions than atheists do (i.e. beyond "they're all wrong").

Yes, the claims of Jesus are extraordinary. I agree that people don't really acknowledge that enough.
    Anyone else read it? And if so what do you think of it?

To me it's intellectual Christianity and an enjoyable read.

Yes I think the man is usually bang on. Not that intellectually sophisticated but that's not necessary anyway, and not desirable in a brief newspaper article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Húrin wrote: »
    .....attending a church with so many doctors!

What kind of doctors as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Húrin wrote: »
    I have encountered very little anti-science Christianity on this side of the Atlantic.

Yeah, tbh I think reading an internet board can warp your opinion of any side, as only people with a strong interest tend to post on them. (Don't know what I'm doing here, then...)

I think anti-science christianity is generally in the minority, albeit a depressingly large minority in the States...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

What kind of doctors as a matter of interest?
    Medical doctors, surgeons, etc. that kind of thing

Advertisement