Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which primary school help please.

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

My oldest will be going to primary school for the first time this year. I have to make a decision between sending her to a primary school in the town where we live or where I work. I work in a different county ( only 20 minutes away by car) but this is where she goes to the childminder along with her younger sibling.

If I send her to school where we live she will make friends in this area. But I will have to find someone new to pick her up after school and take care of her until I come home in the evening. Plus then I have to decide whether to keep her younger sibling in the same childminders as all along where I work or send her to the new childminder too.

I love the present childminders, they are really fantastic and both children love them. On the other hand I think my younger child would really miss her big sister if I separate them. Plus money wise it is going to be more expensive to change childminders too, and as I'm the only earner at the moment due to the recession that would be a big ask. However they come first so I would have to make a stretch somehow if necessary.

I know I have time to think about this but it is going round and round in my head and I cannot seem to see the woods for the trees. I need help, please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

This is what I would do, am not telling you what to do as its a difficult decision and its hard to balance everyones needs all the time.

I would send my child to the local school. It means making friends locally and finding a place within the community. It would also mean you would make more friends in the area too as you would get friendly with the other childrens Mums :)

At weekends your child would be able to meet with friends for activities or playtime etc. easily.

My personal opinion is that it is important for children to belong in a community and have lots of friends where they live :)

Your youngest will adjust to a new childminder, especially as your eldest would be joining her after school. Given that a change is coming anyway, with your eldest going to school, the timing is good to change the childminder also.

Don't worry too much, live with both options for a while and then go with your gut instinct. You will know what is best for your children once you have time to relax about the options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

We were in a similar predicament a couple of years ago. Plus, with my wife being a primary school teacher it seemed to make logical sense that they would go to school with her, about 15 minutes away.
    But when we put logistics aside, it seemed to make more sense to send them to the local school (about five minutes in the other direction). We felt that if the descision made was in the best interest of the kids then all other things (child minder, school runs etc.) would fall into place; and they did.

Good luck. At least you have time on your side to get it straight in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

:)Thanks Isthatso, I know you are right. I suppose I hate the idea of changing childminders yet again. We moved about a year and a half ago, had a childminder lined up where we are living, thought she was great and gradually adjusted the children to her ( their old childminder was like a granny to them and they are still in touch with her) and two months later she told me she made a mistake and couldnt mind them anymore ( she had a baby of 8 months and a toddler herself and found it too much). Then we had to find a different childminders and I really fell on my feet when I found the ones they are with now. I totally trust them, they are so experienced and really wonderful. So after changing houses and childminders twice ( and we are moving house again in a couple of weeks) I hate to disrupt them again.

I really appreciate your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Oops, thanks noby, we posted at the same time. Yes, the central point seems to be that it is better for them in the long run to go to a local primary school.

In any case what with the recession who knows if my job is safe!

Advertisement