Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amateur Insurance

• 21-01-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

I know that a lot of posters here are hobbyists but still have a collection of valuable bodies and lenses. I assume that you have insurance to cover theft, accidental damage and so on?

I bought a few new bits and pieces recently that I would like to insure. From reading previous posts here it seems a lot of you are covered under home insurance but as I am renting that does not apply to me. Other posts talk about public liability but that is something I do not need either.

Any advice on where I can get a policy to solely insure equipment? Any leads at all are appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

if you join the swpp (don't have to be a pro), then you can get europlan insurance on your gear. joining the swpp will be about €100 and insurance for say, €5000 worth of equipment would be €300-€400 a year

www.swpp.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

latchiko wrote: »
    From reading previous posts here it seems a lot of you are covered under home insurance but as I am renting that does not apply to me.

Any advice on where I can get a policy to solely insure equipment? Any leads at all are appreciated!

Why does it not apply to you? The only difference is as a home owner, your insuring the rebuild or damage cost of your house as well as contents:confused:

The best I've seen elsewhere is; http://www.aaduki.com/

about 180 Euros for 10K worth of gear. Not sure of the All Risks detail though.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I bought a few new bits and pieces recently that I would like to insure. From reading previous posts here it seems a lot of you are covered under home insurance but as I am renting that does not apply to me.

Why???

If you're renting you can get contents only insurance. If you're not earning anything from photography, then that is the best way for you to go.

Commercial insurance of camera gear would be a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

As far as I know, if you're renting the property, contents cover doesn't cover accidental damage ... which is probably the most likely reason you'd be claiming for camera gear.

I don't think you're correct there.

The vast majority of people living in apartments have contents only insurance, since the building insurance is with the management company.

So, there are tens of thousands of people in Ireland with contents only insurance (myself included).

Of course, if you want to look for professional (camera gear specific) insurance then Steve at Photo Shield is great. (say you were referred by me, please). The prices are very very competitive, especially for what they offer and cover. This would be for anything from camera gear only, all the way through to public liability, professional indemnity, etc.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I don't think you're correct there.

The vast majority of people living in apartments have contents only insurance, since the building insurance is with the management company.

So, there are tens of thousands of people in Ireland with contents only insurance (myself included).

I'm not saying you can't get contents insurance in a rented house. I know you can but I don't think it covers accidental damage.. or at least the places I tried didn't.
    I've just tried a couple again and neither would cover accidental damage in a rented property.
    If your policy does cover accidental damage, would you mind giving me the name of the insurer because I couldn't get anyone to cover accidental damage and I'd like to switch insurers if I can find a company that covers it... cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Of course, if you want to look for professional (camera gear specific) insurance then Steve at Photo Shield is great. (say you were referred by me, please). The prices are very very competitive, especially for what they offer and cover. This would be for anything from camera gear only, all the way through to public liability, professional indemnity, etc.
    Paul

That's the second time I can recall in recent weeks that you've asked for a referral mention if contacting this particular broker*. Is there any specific reason?

*Good broker whom I also use and very efficient in any dealing I've had with them unlike the Irish company I was previously with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't speak for rental accomodation, except to say that my daughters laptop is on my all risks policy, even though she lives in Galway as a student.

The other thing to take note of is that your gear is covered under an all risks add on to your contents cover so obviously all risks are covered but you need to list the items individually.
    I'm with FBD and all gear is covered on the basis of nearest new model for old, so for exmple if my E510 was stolen I'd get a replacement E520.

soccerc wrote: »
    That's the second time I can recall in recent weeks that you've asked for a referral mention if contacting this particular broker*. Is there any specific reason?

The reason - I get a referral bonus. :D

From my dealings with them, they offer brilliant service, great cover, and by far, cheaper than any other quote I've been able to find in Ireland. My previous Irish broker couldn't match the price from Steve, which saved me over €300.

XLR8 wrote: »
    I know you can but I don't think it covers accidental damage.. or at least the places I tried didn't.
    If your policy does cover accidental damage, would you mind giving me the name of the insurer because I couldn't get anyone to cover accidental damage and I'd like to switch insurers if I can find a company that covers it... cheers

I'll dig out my policy documents this evening. I know that I had my camera gear on it, for accidental damage cover, as specified items.

My policy (home contents), I think, is with Sun Alliance.

• Advertisement

The reason - I get a referral bonus. :D

From my dealings with them, they offer brilliant service, great cover, and by far, cheaper than any other quote I've been able to find in Ireland. My previous Irish broker couldn't match the price from Steve, which saved me over €300.

I agree, my PL insurance only covered Ireland and I needed it Europe wide but in particular UK (FA Premiership licence) and Steve was able to arrange it.

They covered my kit for €25k and the public liability cheaper than my previous policy and it's new for old all risks

I'll dig out my policy documents this evening. I know that I had my camera gear on it, for accidental damage cover, as specified items.

My policy (home contents), I think, is with Sun Alliance.

Thanks Paul, appreciated.

I've just found one that will cover camera gear against accidental damage but it's specified items and it's adding 250 yoyos to the price.

I'll keep looking, thanks.

As I posted third post in

http://www.aaduki.com/

The last time I checked were cheapest for amateur and profesional stand alone insurance.

Covey wrote: »
    As I posted third post in

http://www.aaduki.com/

The last time I checked were cheapest for amateur and profesional stand alone insurance.

Are they authorised to provide services to/in Republic of Ireland?

Is their PL insurance applicable to ROI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Thanks for the advice guys. I assumed that with rented property I couldn't get home insurance but I didn't know there was a separate contents insurance option. At least I can start looking into that as an option. Does anyone have an insurer that they would recommend?
    Covey wrote:
    A quick look at their site looks like this is oriented at the UK market. Does it definitely cover Irish photographers?

A quick look at their site looks like this is oriented at the UK market. Does it definitely cover Irish photographers?

Yep, sure does.

Fully authorised and controlled in Ireland.

Press Release: 8 Jul 2008

Aaduki Multimedia Insurance announces that with immediate effect it will be able to offer cover to Photographers, Journalist, Videographers and Film Makers in the Republic of Ireland, becoming only the 2nd Insurance provider able to do so.

National Marketing Manager, Nik Stewert, who has recently joined from Imaging Insurance said," This is an exciting development for Aaduki as we look to expand into other markets. We have known for some time that we have the professionalism and coverage to be able to offer media insurance in Ireland, but it has taken a while to become authorised both by the FSA (Financial Services Authority) and the Irish Government. The cover which we offer will be provided in Euro's, and we will accept Euro's as payment, which I believe, will make us the only Insurance provider in the market able to do so."

Vince Brown, Sales Manager of Aaduki said," This marks a historic moment in the development of our business. We will now be able to offer the same great cover and service that we provide across the UK to the media community in the Republic of Ireland and we are looking forward to providing innovative insurance solutions to meet their needs."

The new Scheme is available immediately and will be showcased at the Photovision Roadshow in Dublin on September 2nd 2008.

A host of new products are currently being developed, launching later this year.

More Information:

Aaduki Multimedia Insurance
    www.aaduki.com
    0845 838 6933 (local call rate number)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Yep, sure does.

Fully authorised and controlled in Ireland.

Press Release: 8 Jul 2008

Aaduki Multimedia Insurance announces that with immediate effect it will be able to offer cover to Photographers, Journalist, Videographers and Film Makers in the Republic of Ireland, becoming only the 2nd Insurance provider able to do so.

National Marketing Manager, Nik Stewert, who has recently joined from Imaging Insurance said," This is an exciting development for Aaduki as we look to expand into other markets. We have known for some time that we have the professionalism and coverage to be able to offer media insurance in Ireland, but it has taken a while to become authorised both by the FSA (Financial Services Authority) and the Irish Government. The cover which we offer will be provided in Euro's, and we will accept Euro's as payment, which I believe, will make us the only Insurance provider in the market able to do so."

Vince Brown, Sales Manager of Aaduki said," This marks a historic moment in the development of our business. We will now be able to offer the same great cover and service that we provide across the UK to the media community in the Republic of Ireland and we are looking forward to providing innovative insurance solutions to meet their needs."

The new Scheme is available immediately and will be showcased at the Photovision Roadshow in Dublin on September 2nd 2008.

A host of new products are currently being developed, launching later this year.

More Information:

Aaduki Multimedia Insurance
    www.aaduki.com
    0845 838 6933 (local call rate number)

They are fairly cheap. I quoted for £4K worth of stuff it was only £84
    Theres a £150 excess per claim but if you dropped a 5d and an L lense you wouldnt be too worried...

You can also pay monthly...

Nice tip Covey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

DotOrg wrote: »
    if you join the swpp (don't have to be a pro), then you can get europlan insurance on your gear. joining the swpp will be about €100 and insurance for say, €5000 worth of equipment would be €300-€400 a year

www.swpp.co.uk

As DotOrg says.

If you want I can give you the contact details for SWPP Ireland insurance services. PM me your details mate and I will send them across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I understand again that this is an old thread but its better than opening a new one.

I want to get insurance for my Nikon D60, I don't need Professional Indemnity or Public Liability insurance, I would just like to insure my kit.

I tried Photo Shield, however they told me that they aim at professionals so they couldn't offer me insurance without taking out Professional Indemnity of Public Liability to run along side it.

I contacted aaduki by email but got no reply, anyone know anywhere else that could offer me insurance???

I am not in a position to get it covered under my Home Insurance sadly which I know would be easier and better, but there must be somewhere that can offer me insurance on only my kit at a good price???

Any ideas???

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i rent and recently took out contents insurance for for upto 25000 which also includes accidental damage and upto 5000 worth of cover for outside the home for all my tog gear for 213 a year from axa

• Advertisement

If it's just your camera gear and you don't need any special cover, your home/contents insurance should be able to cover it, even if you have to list the kit as specified items.

Many insurance companies will do this for you.

No you see I can't insure it under my home insurance, I am looking for somewhere that would insure my kit on its own . . . . . .

I just contacted aaduki over the phone and they are going to return my phone call with a quotation, they were really helpful which was a plus.

Has anyone used them before??? What was your experiences???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

about 180 Euros for 10K worth of gear. Not sure of the All Risks detail though.

T.

Cheers Covey, very interesting. I've used PJT in Swords http://www.pjtins.ie but they were more expensive than this.

Have to say that I used PJT too. Their prices were good, but there are now much better prices to be found out there, especially by UK companies now giving cover in Ireland.

Very glad I changed my policy and dealing with Steve at Photo Shield made the switch very easy, as well as saving me a few hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Have to say that I used PJT too. Their prices were good, but there are now much better prices to be found out there, especially by UK companies now giving cover in Ireland.

Very glad I changed my policy and dealing with Steve at Photo Shield made the switch very easy, as well as saving me a few hundred.

Me too!

So I am just trying to decide on weather to go with aaduki or look elsewhere for insurance, even though the price they quoted is perfect, I just want to make sure that they are a good company and that everything i in order with them.

Other than that I need to find out the value of my equipment, I bought my camera and lens in Jessops in Newry at much cheaper than what it is here, but how to I find out the value of the camera for the insurance company???

Also does anyone know what the story is with all this "Five Lever Mortice Deadlocks" on my doors, I understand that its in the event of someone breaking in. But how do I know if they are these locks or not???

And one more question, maybe its stupid, but what does it mean by excess of X amount???

Thanks,
    mcgowaner

mcgowaner wrote: »
    And one more question, maybe its stupid, but what does it mean by excess of X amount???

Insurance value of lens - 1000
    Excess amount - 500

Amount you will get in the event of loss - 500

The Excess amount is the amount you will have to pay yourself, before they will pay anything.

Advertisement