Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:33pm

I'm just wondering what my rights are here. I've been renting a room in a shared house, paying rent monthly into another flatmate's account. I have given them a month's notice that I am moving out, and have been trying to find a new flatmate by advertising on Daft. Unfortunately nobody has responded. What's the situation about getting my deposit back? My friends have said once I gave sufficient notice and tried to find someone else to take my room, the others have no right to keep my deposit, once my room is left clean and in the condition it was before. What's the story with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The deposit is to cover if there are things broken etc, it's not intended to cover rent. Once you have tried to get another in that should be enough, you should get deposit back. It's not your fault no-one is willing to take room.

• That's what I thought but friends and people in work are telling me otherwise. I don't have a contract with the landlord - I pay rent to one housemate who is on the lease. People are saying it's not my flatmate's fault I'm leaving, which I understand, but it's not my fault either. I'm perfectly entitled to leave, and everyone leaves at some point. I desperately need this deposit, don't see why I should lose it because nobody wants the room. I'm getting the vibe from my flatmate that if I don't find someone, I will lose it. I have a Daft ad with pics I renew every day, I'm putting signs around town, I'm making an effort to get someone but no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess the flatmate has to pay for the entire flat to the landlord. If one room is empty the landlord won't lower the rent. Ultimately the landlord has the deposit and don't want to loose money.
    You can take it to the PRTB
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/disputes-between-landlords-and-tenants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You didn't sign a lease, so you are perfectly entitled to leave. Has your flatmate suggested you won't be getting your deposit back?

I also don't understand why you are looking for a replacement for tenant for your room. That has nothing to do with you - the lease holder should be doing that.

• That's the way it's always worked for me when I've been in flatshares, the person leaving usually does the 'work' on Daft.

Usually you pay the deposit to the person leaving, but if I don't find anyone, who's going to give it to me? I definitely think the lease holder is responsible for this - I've given him a month's notice and I'm paid up to the 10th february. Surely when I leave at the end of the month, it's then his problem to find someone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You didn't sign a lease, so they can't force you to do anything. But as there's no written agreement, they can't be forced to return your deposit I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

You, my dear, are entitled to your deposit back as long as the room isn't wrecked, and you have'nt taken anything.
    I rent a house and rent 2 of the rooms out. I just had 1 of them leave and he gave notice and was fully entitled to his money back. In our case, we came to an agreement, but you are entitled to your money.
    It's not your fault that the room hasn't been taken and thats a chance that the main renter takes when they sign the lease.
    I was terrified about having to pay rent in Jan, but literally on C.Eve, I rented the room
    Hope this helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Am I correct in understanding that you are not on the Lease, and that only one housemate is on the Lease. In that case, you are there as a Licensee, and hence, you are fully entitled to your deposit back.

Advertisement