Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaming up to rent.

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna be moving soon and looking to rent in South Dublin City Centre or Ranelagh or somewhere similar. I'm sick of living in kips so looking to hopefully take advantage of rent drops and get a nice place.

The thing is most of the nice places i see on daft are in the to let section. The sharing ads generally aren't as attractive.

Has anyone experience in teaming up with random people to afford a rental property? How did it go? Would you do it again? Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a section on daft.ie where you can team up with people.

Obviously follow the usual rules about meeting strangers, public place, own transport, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

was in that situation a few years back. After visiting a lot of places that were looking for someone to take a second room and discovering each time I was being relegated to the box room (fair enough, last come last served) I decided to get a two bed place myself and then get a tenant on the understanding that they also sign the rental agreement and take at least one bill under their name.

Was a bit of a risk admittedly as if I didn't get someone I was boned on trying to cover the rent myself. Also meant a bigger outlay initially from me to cover the deposit but got that back from the tenant who moved in.

Worked out well in the end, and gave me a much broader range of places to look at. Most risk free way I found was to get a really nice place with a decent sized second room. Getting a tenant that way was easy, hard part was choosing between the number of people who called. One or two right weirdos as well, but par the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reddy_873

Yeh i was thinking about taking on a place and then finding the other tenant(s) myself but i'm just worried that in the current market it could be quite difficult to find someone quickly and i just don't think I could take on a full rental and deposit without having someone lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

It's very hard to get someone to take a room at the moment in my experience. Unless of course its a great area/price/property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Arathorn wrote: »
    It's very hard to get someone to take a room at the moment in my experience. Unless of course its a great area/price/property.
    This doesn't really affect the sharers though. Sure the choice of other sharers may be limited, but the demand for sharers is also limited. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I teamed up with someone on daft 6 months ago and we're about to sign our second 6 month lease. Worked out really great for us and we get along great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Did that a year ago. we found another couple and went for a place in south county Dublin, she got a job in another country and left leaving us paying a full €1700 for 6 months.

we found them annoying to live with, kitchen utensils got broke and never replaced. they were very antisocial spent most the time in there room(which is there choice, but it made us feel uneasy).. then in the end they took there time moving their stuff out(they moved on monday, their rent ended sunday), yer man said he would collect it the next day(Tuesday) when he left and called us to ask if we could wait another day, then called again asking if he could leave it until Friday.

I was pissed off at this stage and had to let herself speak to him.she ok'd it. Friday came and we had their half of the deposit ready he calls and says his friend who's driving him is hungover(this was at 7pm) I told him that he could collect his stuff form the apartment tonight or from the street outside tomorrow and that we weren't a storage facility.

An hour later he arrived got his stuff. he had the cheek to put the key in the door, which considering he was no longer paying rent i found very rude.It took all my restraint to be civil with him.

After this we decided never to share a place again.

Advertisement