Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing deceased parent's guns

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My father recently passed and left his two guns to me. He was a member of a cork gun club but im unable to contact them. They are exdirectory and are not online. The guns have been taken by the guards and they stated that i need to be in a gun club to get them back !
    any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

Either:
    1) Join a gun club and enjoy them

or

2) Sell the guns through a registered firearms dealer.

I am sure someone here will have Cork gun clubs contact details.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

whats the name of the gun club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ppcul

I cant find a contact number or anything for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly most gun clubs are exdirectory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ppcul

do any of you have a contact for carrigaline and crosshaven club please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

contact the nargc they should have a contact for them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

<posts moved to new thread>

My condolences on your loss ppcul.

There's some useful information on contacting reclusive gun clubs in this post:

...in this thread:
    Gun clubs in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Also could you join a clay pigeon shooting club, that's a gun club and generally they are much more willing to accept members than some other forms of gun clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Had the same situation when my father died but the Guards in Naas told me to say nothing and just keep paying the license fee every year:rolleyes:
    You shouldnt need to be a member of a gun club you should just need to have 2/3 landowners permission to shoot on their land(depending on type of gun)

Had the same situation when my father died but the Guards in Naas told me to say nothing and just keep paying the license fee every year:rolleyes:
    A garda told you that? Sweet Divine Jesus. What would happen if you were found out later on? :eek:
    You shouldnt need to be a member of a gun club you should just need to have 2/3 landowners permission to shoot on their land(depending on type of gun)
    Correct. 2 or 3 depending on the super. Ask the local lads what's score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Bond-007 wrote: »
    A garda told you that? Sweet Divine Jesus. What would happen if you were found out later on? :eek:

Correct. 2 or 3 depending on the super. Ask the local lads what's score.

I had a similar experience, my mothers uncle passed away before christmas, he lived alone so i took the gun from his house as it wasnt in a safe or anything,

i went to the local sergeant to ask him what to do with it, told him i had it in my house at the moment as it was safer there.

he told me the same, "sure hold onto it.just pay the licence when it comes around again!"

WTF? surely there is some procedure like havin it sent to a RFD for storage while some sort of paper work has to be done?

WTF? surely there is some procedure like havin it sent to a RFD for storage while some sort of paper work has to be done?
    That is what is supposed to be done. The RFD should store the guns until such time as you obtain a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

You shouldnt need to be a member of a gun club you should just need to have 2/3 landowners permission to shoot on their land(depending on type of gun)[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with go faster on this one you don't need to be a member of a club to get a licence for the gun.
    As the op said 2 or 3 farmers permissions is all you need.
    Best of luck with the application anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Guys ,
    I don’t often post here but I do look at this every day as I’m sure a lot of other people do !!!!.

But when someone comes on asking regarding licensing can we simply point out the legal way to go about it . (e.g. get land - join club , apply for license ) ,Rather than putting posts about what a guard has said to do (as opposed to legal route ).

This sort of stuff will filter back to HQ and I’m sure it won’t be long before a memo is sent out to the stations ... this again won’t help our sport and also whatever guards were trying to be helpful may not be in anyway helpful the next time..
    If something like this is said to you , it’s UP to you to be legal NOT the guard .. please think before you post .

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Darr wrote: »
    Guys ,
    I don’t often post here but I do look at this every day as I’m sure a lot of other people do !!!!.

But when someone comes on asking regarding licensing can we simply point out the legal way to go about it . (e.g. get land - join club , apply for license ) ,Rather than putting posts about what a guard has said to do (as opposed to legal route ).

This sort of stuff will filter back to HQ and I’m sure it won’t be long before a memo is sent out to the stations ... this again won’t help our sport and also whatever guards were trying to be helpful may not be in anyway helpful the next time..
    If something like this is said to you , it’s UP to you to be legal NOT the guard .. please think before you post .

Darr

How many people are taking the Guards up on this offer because they don't know the laws, there are enough of problems for shooting without the guards promoting illegal holding of firearms, it should filter back to HQ and the sooner the better. Wouldnt it be better if all the Guards gave the correct information rather than their interpretation of it.

How many people are taking the Guards up on this offer because they don't know the laws, there are enough of problems for shooting without the guards promoting illegal holding of firearms, it should filter back to HQ and the sooner the better. Wouldnt it be better if all the Guards gave the correct information rather than their interpretation of it.

Your correct it certainly should be , but not on an open forum in a thread where the OP asked what he should do with his later fathers ( my sympathies by the way) firearms ..

I said where someone asks how to go about getting a license we should stick to the LEGAL road , not what may have been said by a guard in a station somewhere .

As I stated the onus is ON YOU not the guard .
    Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That garda wasn't trying to be helpful Darr, he was being fecking lazy and encouraging someone else to break the law in the process - and if that someone had been caught, the garda wasn't ever going to pay the price. With friends like that, you need solicitors. And if HQ finds out about it and disciplines him, so much the better.

We cannot be arguing against gardai making up firearms law when it prevents us from doing what we wish to do but keeping schtum if the same making-up lets us do what we wish (and it'd be stupid to do so when the law says we can do it anyway). That might be "the Irish way", but it'll do nothing but burn us in the long run.

Sparks wrote: »
    That garda wasn't trying to be helpful Darr, he was being fecking lazy and encouraging someone else to break the law in the process - and if that someone had been caught, the garda wasn't ever going to pay the price. With friends like that, you need solicitors. And if HQ finds out about it and disciplines him, so much the better.

We cannot be arguing against gardai making up firearms law when it prevents us from doing what we wish to do but keeping schtum if the same making-up lets us do what we wish (and it'd be stupid to do so when the law says we can do it anyway). That might be "the Irish way", but it'll do nothing but burn us in the long run.

Again this is not what I was saying ... this chap came on to ask us about what to do , we should simply reply with the legal road .. at no point did he say oh the guards said to simply renew it .. again I mean if we are asked state the legal route .. why bring mention of what this guard said, if this guard said that to the guys here did they contact his superiour etc ( I should have maybe said was been misguided rather then helpful : ) ) ..

Darr ..

Okay, I see where you're coming from there Darr, although looking at the thread, that's pretty much what happened and the poster who mentioned the garda first did seem to give it as an example of bad information rather than a suggested course of action (I think we've been fairly clear in the past about that particular line and not tolerating posters crossing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sparks, I agree with both you and Darr. :)

Sure, "Ah sure it'll be alright" type need to be corrected, but its also important not to coach people in how to break the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

ppcul wrote: »
    do any of you have a contact for carrigaline and crosshaven club please

PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

ppcul wrote: »
    My father recently passed and left his two guns to me. He was a member of a cork gun club but im unable to contact them. They are exdirectory and are not online. The guns have been taken by the guards and they stated that i need to be in a gun club to get them back !
    any advice much appreciated.

You do the same as anyone with any firearms application,
    There are several threads here on first time licensing and as such there are different options open to you depending on the type of firearm and whether you own a farm(any suitable land-no size requirement).

It could be advisable to note that you in theory you have to have a good reason to want a firearm. I personally wonder if the Garda will accept your wish to simply own a gun(s) which was once a treasured possession that your father held dear. Otherwise you'll have to take up shooting and rely your intentions via you firearms application form.

As you can see here on the boards you must thread carefully as there is a strict zero tolerance enforced.:D

PS amid the madness i bid you welcome
    Regards IvanThe Hunter....there can be only :)one

It could be advisable to note that you in theory you have to have a good reason to want a firearm.
    It's not just "in theory".
    As you can see here on the boards you must thread carefully as there is a strict zero tolerance enforced.:D
    Most folks never get within an ass's roar of the line Ivan, you just seem to be looking to push against it of late, like a five-year-old seeing how much he can get away with.

Advertisement