Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand- Koh Samui,Koh Tao & Koh Phangan

• 21-01-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend good cheap accomadation( under 10 euro a nite) on these islands. Nothing coming up on Hostel World for a single dorm. Any contact details for these places would be great also. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

dont think there are any hostels. you can get your own room for about €6-7 a night. i wouldnt bother booking ahead, very easy to find places when u get there and you should probably shop around anyway till you find one you like.
    i probably wouldnt stay on the full moon beach itself in haad rin if i was you, the places on the other side of haad rin are much better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

We paid 500 baht on New Years, which is about 10 euro for the "Last Resort", ran by Spaz, which is 5 minute walk from the beach in Had Rin. I think it's in the new version of the Lonely Planet, but we found it by chance. Either book ahead or arrive early though. It's very basic, but he organises great nights out, and BBQ's on full moon nights before you go out. Recommend it to anyone.
    You can find the details on his face book page, under Spaz's last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ritchi wrote:
    We paid 500 baht on New Years, which is about 10 euro for the "Last Resort", ran by Spaz, which is 5 minute walk from the beach in Had Rin. I think it's in the new version of the Lonely Planet, but we found it by chance. Either book ahead or arrive early though. It's very basic, but he organises great nights out, and BBQ's on full moon nights before you go out. Recommend it to anyone.
    You can find the details on his face book page, under Spaz's last resort.
    That's the last bit of accomodation along Haad Rin is it?

That place is lethal. Steep hill/concrete steps/no light/a lot of drink = bad combination....

S.M.B. wrote: »

That place is lethal. Steep hill/concrete steps/no light/a lot of drink = bad combination....

Nah, it's back away from the beach, nearer the quite Haad Rin beach(not sure if it's nok or nai, but the non full moon party one), which is about 5 minutes away. Think you're thinking of somewhere up Mushroom mountain?

Ritchi wrote:
    Nah, it's back away from the beach, nearer the quite Haad Rin beach(not sure if it's nok or nai, but the non full moon party one), which is about 5 minutes away. Think you're thinking of somewhere up Mushroom mountain?
    Ah right, i don't know that last resort place then.

And yeah, thats exactly where the place i was thinking of is.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Don't know anything about Ko Samui but on Ko Tao, you generally get cheap accom if you're doing a diving course. I stayed at the Tropicana resort and it was 300 a night if you were diving with Buddha view (next door school). I think 500 if you're not diving. Very, very basic rooms (cold water showers, just fan etc) but clean and adequate I thought. It's not located in the busy main part of the island but is in a place that had plenty of life anyway and was right on the beach. Still, Ko Tao can be quiet enough in the evenings as a lot of people take it easy on the drink when they're diving. After about 8 days in Tropicana I moved into the main town to stay with some friends at Bans diving school. Much livelier area as regards bars, shops restaurants but I didn't think Bans accom was a nice as Tropicana and it was around 500 a night.

Ko Phangnan, again stayed well away from Had rin, as far away as you can get actually. Over on the north west of the island in a place called Shiralea backpackers resort. 600 a night for 3 people in a fan room with 2 double beds. Thought it was great there, it's fairly new and there's a pool and hot water showers. Location wise - right on the beach again, but extremely quiet. That could have just been the season as there were loads of bars and restaurants, just most were closed and there was no-one in the ones that were open!

It really comes down to how much partying you want to do I think. Choose your location based on that then look for the best prices. I was there at low season so reckon the prices above could double when things are busier. PM if you need any more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Jesus lads, that Last Resort place is the biggest dive I ever saw in all of SE Asia. We booked in there but legged it the moment we saw the place.

Yeah, my recommendation would actually be to not bother listening to anyone elses recommendations. Everyone has a very different level of comfort they're looking for so just go look at places yourself and decide if you're happy or not.

I pretty much always went with rooms in new large town buildings rather than the typical beach hut. It might add a five minute walk to the beach but the standard of the rooms were always a lot higher.

Jesus lads, that Last Resort place is the biggest dive I ever saw in all of SE Asia. We booked in there but legged it the moment we saw the place.

Ha, I did say it was basic alright. We didn't go to Ko Pha nagn to spend much time in the room though, so comfort wasn't an issue. As the previous poster said, it's up to the individual what you like. You're best off not booking anywhere anyway before you go, just turn up early and look yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

S.M.B. wrote: »

I think the place your thinking of is Leela Beach Bungalows. Stayed there a few weeks ago and it probably the worst place I've ever stayed. Rude staff, seriously run down and outright dangerous!

• Advertisement

I think the place your thinking of is Leela Beach Bungalows. Stayed there a few weeks ago and it probably the worst place I've ever stayed. Rude staff, seriously run down and outright dangerous!
    That's the place alright. ****in' dump!

bungalow5.jpg

We arrived 2 days before a full moon party with nothing booked so we ended up booking their last room for 5 nights.

After 1 night we had left the place even though we had paid for our entire stay and moved into a taxi drivers house in Ban Tai instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

i did all these islands last summer and the cheapest i remember paying for anywere was 15 a night, im sure there was cheaper but these plces wouldnt be the best in my opinion.

Advertisement