Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need YOU!

• 21-01-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

...To help me pick my first car/4x4 :pac:

Ok, so I'm thinking of buying my first vehicle in the next few months or so but I'm a little unsure of what to get so I'm hoping y'all can help point me in the right direction!

A few things first; it'll be my first car so I want to keep the engine size down for insurance purposes.

Also, I'm getting a grant towards the car.. the grant is as follows, I will get 3/4 of the cost towards the car up to a max of 5k.

So basically, this means in order to receive the full grant of 5k I'd have to be spending around E6,500.

Sooo... my budget is around the E6,500 / E7000 mark.

Now, for that kinda money I could be sensible and get a newish, small, easy to run car like a Fiesta/Yaris/Punto/Ibiza etc etc...

OR (And this is the favoured option!) I could import from the UK and get a 4X4, turn it into a commercial and VRT it for 50 quid.

So at the minute I'm looking at vehicles like the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV4 etc...

I want to keep the engine size 2.0 or under.

Diesel would be preferable.

I'm really keen on going the commercial route as road tax would be a lot lower aswell..

Plus it would just be me using it, so I don't have any need for back seats, the large boot space would be fantastic also!

So any thoughts to my plan? I must admit that Eric Cartman on here has kinda inspired me with his Kia Sorento! :D

Also, I'm a complete car noob, so please bear with me, but how would the running costs of a 2.0l Diesel compare with that to say a 1.3l petrol?

Ok, so I know in general the 1.3 would be cheaper to run than a 2.0, but if the 2.0 were diesel would it make much difference?

Also, if any of you can think of any nice 4X4's that fit the bill then would love to hear of them!

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most 4x4 would have large engines (2L or more) which will cost a lot in insurance and motor tax. Also you'll have problems parking it. For a first car, you should look at something small cheap reliable and fun, not a tank.

Nice 4x4 http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Defender/200801191363778/advert
    http://cars.buyandsell.ie/vehicles/view/134675/toyota-hi-lux-25td-1992#
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/1.8-vvti/200851191221875/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Well the car I'm learning to drive in is a big car, it's a 2.4l and actually longer than the 4X4's I've been looking at, so that should stand to me, and hopefully size won't be an issue.

Re: Tax and insurance - That's one of the reasons I want to go for a commerical - lower rate of tax, and regards the insurance, got a few test quotes done, and it comes up at around the E800 mark, which tbh, isn't bad at all!

Yeah, nice defender alright.. could go monster truckin' in that! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You'll get flamed out of here OP.

My opinion: If you need ground clearance, 4wd, towing capabilities etc buy a 4x4 otherwise buy a car. Things like tyres, bushes, shock absorbers and other consumable's cost up to 3 or 4 times more than their car equivalent.

In most 4x4s (Landcruiser etc) you'll be lucky to reach mid 20's MPG.

Also stay well out of my way if you've just recently learned how to drive, could be dangerous in a carpark!

We're in a recession, buying a cheap 4x4 is a false economy (running costs/maintenance). Unless you really need a 4x4 then buy a car. You'll get a much newer/economical/easier to drive car for you're budget.

Also the construction industry has declined. You will find it almost impossible to sell a commercial 4x4 in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, i think a 04 upwards Freelander diesel commercial would be more in your than a Defender. I just can't say i'd reccomend one as a daily driver, or a first car for that matter.

Freelander 2.0 td4 diesel is essentiallly a BMW engine. Get something with a decent spec and service history and your flying it. The interiors are nice in them, they were very modernised in 04, (with a face lift and interior change). The 03 and previous interiors are a bit outdated. Steer clear of the petrol engines in these. Awful engine.

As for the Tuscon, 2.0D is the one your after. As far as i know they come in 2 and 4 wheel drive options. The have a very grey interior that comes with Hyundai's. Not bad to drive, imo not the best looking.

I'm trying to think what else fits into that category. The most of the bigger commercials and 2.5, 2.7 and 3.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You'll need to factor in that consumables such as tyres on 4x4's will be more expensive, as too will servicing. Seriously, if it is a first car I'd stick with something a bit smaller. How long are you driving? I know you say you're learning in a big car and I do think that helps things but something like a Sorento will kill you on insurance, commercial or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

...To help me pick my first car/4x4 :pac:

Ok, so I'm thinking of buying my first vehicle in the next few months or so but I'm a little unsure of what to get so I'm hoping y'all can help point me in the right direction!

A few things first; it'll be my first car so I want to keep the engine size down for insurance purposes.

Also, I'm getting a grant towards the car.. the grant is as follows, I will get 3/4 of the cost towards the car up to a max of 5k.

So basically, this means in order to receive the full grant of 5k I'd have to be spending around E6,500.

Sooo... my budget is around the E6,500 / E7000 mark.

Now, for that kinda money I could be sensible and get a newish, small, easy to run car like a Fiesta/Yaris/Punto/Ibiza etc etc...

OR (And this is the favoured option!) I could import from the UK and get a 4X4, turn it into a commercial and VRT it for 50 quid.

So at the minute I'm looking at vehicles like the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV4 etc...

I want to keep the engine size 2.0 or under.

Diesel would be preferable.

I'm really keen on going the commercial route as road tax would be a lot lower aswell..

Plus it would just be me using it, so I don't have any need for back seats, the large boot space would be fantastic also!

So any thoughts to my plan? I must admit that Eric Cartman on here has kinda inspired me with his Kia Sorento! :D

Also, I'm a complete car noob, so please bear with me, but how would the running costs of a 2.0l Diesel compare with that to say a 1.3l petrol?

Ok, so I know in general the 1.3 would be cheaper to run than a 2.0, but if the 2.0 were diesel would it make much difference?

Also, if any of you can think of any nice 4X4's that fit the bill then would love to hear of them!

Thanks all!

Can i ask how/why you would be getting a grant towards the car? im just interested,not bashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

You'll get flamed out of here OP.

My opinion: If you need ground clearance, 4wd, towing capabilities etc buy a 4x4 otherwise buy a car. Things like tyres, bushes, shock absorbers and other consumable's cost up to 3 or 4 times more than their car equivalent.

In most 4x4s (Landcruiser etc) you'll be lucky to reach mid 20's MPG.

Also stay well out of my way if you've just recently learned how to drive, could be dangerous in a carpark!

We're in a recession, buying a cheap 4x4 is a false economy (running costs/maintenance). Unless you really need a 4x4 then buy a car. You'll get a much newer/economical/easier to drive car for you're budget.

Also the construction industry has declined. You will find it almost impossible to sell a commercial 4x4 in a few years.

Yeah, I was aware that there'd be a lot of people bashing me for mentioning the 4X4, but feck it, I'm only intersted in the 2WD models anyways, and yeah, yeah, ok so I don't *need* it per se, at least not in the sense of using it on agricultural land, towing etc.. but you know what if I like them and can afford one, then why not? Plus, I do actually need a vehicle that's higher up off the ground, I have a very bad back, need something easy to get up into, as opposed to climbing down into.

When people come on here looking for a high powered turbo car that's a 3.0l everyone agrees with them, compliments them on their choice etc.. but really, do those people really *need* a 3.0l car either? Prob not. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you like and what you can afford, so c'est la vie and that! :)
    Lol, i think a 04 upwards Freelander diesel commercial would be more in your than a Defender. I just can't say i'd reccomend one as a daily driver, or a first car for that matter.

Freelander 2.0 td4 diesel is essentiallly a BMW engine. Get something with a decent spec and service history and your flying it. The interiors are nice in them, they were very modernised in 04, (with a face lift and interior change). The 03 and previous interiors are a bit outdated. Steer clear of the petrol engines in these. Awful engine.

As for the Tuscon, 2.0D is the one your after. As far as i know they come in 2 and 4 wheel drive options. The have a very grey interior that comes with Hyundai's. Not bad to drive, imo not the best looking.

I'm trying to think what else fits into that category. The most of the bigger commercials and 2.5, 2.7 and 3.0.

Yeah the Tucson's interior is a bit drab to say the least, very grey and plasticy.. the Sportage is much nicer though! They're finished off better than the Tucsons.

Freelander.. hadn't even considered one of those, will look into those now though, thanks!
    EPM wrote: »
    You'll need to factor in that consumables such as tyres on 4x4's will be more expensive, as too will servicing. Seriously, if it is a first car I'd stick with something a bit smaller. How long are you driving? I know you say you're learning in a big car and I do think that helps things but something like a Sorento will kill you on insurance, commercial or not.

Tbh, I'm not driving long at all, however the push on me is that this grant I'm getting expires in 5 months time, so I have to get something within the next few months or less that's 5k down the drain!

Yeah, I know consumables will be more expensive.. that's something I'll have to do more homework into. Re: Insurance.. doesn't seem to be that bad, can get Comp insurance on a 2.0 for about E800, so that's well within reach.
    jackncoke wrote: »
    Can i ask how/why you would be getting a grant towards the car? im just interested,not bashing

No probs! I have serious back problems and a medical condition, got a grant to get a car to suit my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There are a fair few "tall" cars out there that would help people with a bad back, so just be aware that you're not limited to soft-roaders. Also be aware that a 2litre diesel in a Rav 4 for example will be much less economical than the same engine in an Avensis.
    Having said that, you could do worse than a Rav 4. They hold their value well, buying one to fit your budget will be the biggest problem, but you'll be able to sell it on with relative ease.
    What's the car you're driving now? Camry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Dont buy here, best you could do with that money here would be a Santa Fe or something.

I would be getting a BMW X5 in the UK and it would ideally be automatic.I wouldnt touch an auto on a car, but for a machine of that size it wouldn't bother me at all.

There wont be much difference fuel economy wise, between a dead 2.0l Santa Fe/Rav4 etc and a 3.0l X5, probably something like €250 a year if you do average milage.

Advertisement