Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House buying in Drogheda

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickser2009

Or ReMax First in Bettystown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lloydyboy

Dealt with <snip> last year as seller and potential buyer (which fell thru) ...he basically told me what price he was advertising my house for....NOT ME...when i said I would get a survey done if buying a second hand house he said " why would you do that the thing isn't going to fall down".....As for the house that fell thru problems with sewage treatment....when We found out we pulled out of deal....He told me later he would sell it to someone who didn't ask any questions or investigate the way we had....House is still up for sale and we are not living in a fantastic house.....not bought with him. He also hassled me to know where I was buying and was bugging him that I wouldn't say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lollypopshop

Anybody know which is the best/most professional estate agent in Drogheda?

thomasbyrne.ie is great, he knows what he is doing and is real easy to deal with.he showed me some fab houses in Westcourt, still making a decision on what to buy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lollypopshop

I am currently renting a house on the ballymakenny road and am looking to buy near there. i have viewed a house in college rise but it needs a lot of work done on the interior and i looked at a house in Aston Village but it is right at the back but the price is under 200,000 and then i looked at two in westcourt, one was an end house but a bit out of my price range but there is another at the back that is under the 300,000 and is in walk in condition. I don't know what to do. Do I go for the cheap house in Aston Village or the fixer upper in College Rise or the one in the back of Westcourt that is in great nick.

What are these places like to live in, anyone have any suggestions. My brain is a bit fried at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

lloydyboy wrote: »
    As for the house that fell thru problems with sewage treatment....when We found out we pulled out of deal....He told me later he would sell it to someone who didn't ask any questions or investigate the way we had....House is still up for sale.

Can you tell me the address of this house? I'm looking for a house at the moment and I saw a nice one on daft that is being sold by sherry property.
    If you don't want to post it on here, can you send me a pm? I don't want to get stung.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭kjbsrah

Hi guys

Rather than start a whole new thread i thought i should be 'tidy' and add to this one instead....

Basically i would like to ask if anyone knows what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for a 4 bedroom house in Drogheda. Or even a 3 bedroom house. I have started to look over the past few weeks - i've been looking on the internet for the past year but only just getting round to actually going to the houses.

Incidently i have already encountered the previously mentioned <snip> and he told me (surprise surprise) that he had sold 5 houses already that week, that there was no recession in drogheda and certainly house prices were not dropping!!! What a guy - totally lives in an alternative reality (and yes, i agree he is a total assh*ole!!).

But i have never bought a house before so am a bit green when it comes to making offers and the whole process. I have heard that if you are not embarrassed by your first offer then you have not offered low enough.

I am just interested to hear what peoples experiences are with buying houses in the Drogheda area. I have looked at houses in The Highlands and Grange Rath.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

One thing is for sure, and that's that there is a wide range of prices for houses across Drogheda, no even guide level if you like. I myself live in Grange Rath and love the estate having been here nearly 5 years at this stage. I bought second hand in Dec '04 and payed €300k for a 4 bed detached house. At the height of the crazy times these type of houses went for about €470k, but i'd say maybe €340k to €360k would be a rough estimate of todays price depending on house condition etc. It all depends how quick the seller wants rid of the house however, and you could get a real bargain if lucky.

Going down from the price above, i'd say the 4 bed semi-d would be around the €300k mark, and take another 40k or so off for a 3 bed. The other Dublin Road estates may be of a similar price, with even lower prices as you move in a more Northerly direction across town.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Kjbsrah, I have just sold a house and bought a house in the Drogheda area. Delly is exactly right, a 4 bed semi on the South side is costing in and around €290k to €310k! Depends on the estate though.

Personally, it took us almost 10 months to go through the whole process. It was quite stressfull at times, the worst part dealing with the banks but we had an excellent estate agent who gave us very good advice, negotiated prices for us and got us through the whole process.

Declan O'Neill in Sherry Fitzgerald Lannon, Shop Street in Drogheda helped us through and they are actually selling houses in Drogheda <snip>!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

thomasbyrne.ie is great, he knows what he is doing and is real easy to deal with.he showed me some fab houses in Westcourt, still making a decision on what to buy though.

Be careful with him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Kenteach wrote: »
    Be careful with him.
    Ken, a four word negative post such as above doesn't suffice I'm afraid. Elaborate on the above or your post will be removed.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Ken, a four line negative post such as above doesn't suffice I'm afraid. Elaborate on the above or your post will be removed.

Fine. Put in an offer on a house. Auctioneer got back to me saying I had been outbid by 15k. I upped my bid by 16k. My bid was accepted. Rang the owner to arrange a survey, got chatting, explained I was relieved to have won the bidding, he was surprised as I was the only bidder!!
    Deal fell through later for other reasons, but owner would have accepted my original bid, this was never passed onto him.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Fine. Put in an offer on a house. Auctioneer got back to me saying I had been outbid by 15k. I upped my bid by 16k. My bid was accepted. Rang the owner to arrange a survey, got chatting, explained I was relieved to have won the bidding, he was surprised as I was the only bidder!!
    Deal fell through later for other reasons, but owner would have accepted my original bid, this was never passed onto him.

Thanks Ken, it just means that anybody who reads your post will be able to get a picture of what happened.

delly wrote: »
    Thanks Ken, it just means that anybody who reads your post will be able to get a picture of what happened.

No worries. Didn't want to go into detail originally as he's far from the only one who used that approach, particularly in the boom years, it was licence to print money at one stage! Just wanted to make sure people don't be too trustworthy with ANY agent, should have specified that in my original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭oceanfish2008

Has anyone dealt with RB Daly in Laurence Street. I've heard they have a great reputation and have been around a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

kjbsrah wrote: »
    Hi guys

Rather than start a whole new thread i thought i should be 'tidy' and add to this one instead....

Basically i would like to ask if anyone knows what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for a 4 bedroom house in Drogheda. Or even a 3 bedroom house. I have started to look over the past few weeks - i've been looking on the internet for the past year but only just getting round to actually going to the houses.

Incidently i have already encountered the previously mentioned <snip> and he told me (surprise surprise) that he had sold 5 houses already that week, that there was no recession in drogheda and certainly house prices were not dropping!!! What a guy - totally lives in an alternative reality (and yes, i agree he is a total assh*ole!!).

But i have never bought a house before so am a bit green when it comes to making offers and the whole process. I have heard that if you are not embarrassed by your first offer then you have not offered low enough.

I am just interested to hear what peoples experiences are with buying houses in the Drogheda area. I have looked at houses in The Highlands and Grange Rath.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what your budget is but there is a house for sale near me in wheaton hall (harvest way) for 329k which is what the guy paid it for about 6 yrs ago.
    Last one to sell here about 2 yrs ago went for 535k!
    2 storey detached, about 2000 sq ft, lotta house for the money and deffo worth a look.

PS l've no vested interest in the property, don't even know the owner, just passing on the info. :)

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭kjbsrah

furiousox wrote: »
    Not sure what your budget is but there is a house for sale near me in wheaton hall (harvest way) for 329k which is what the guy paid it for about 6 yrs ago.
    Last one to sell here about 2 yrs ago went for 535k!
    2 storey detached, about 2000 sq ft, lotta house for the money and deffo worth a look.

PS l've no vested interest in the property, don't even know the owner, just passing on the info. :)

Hi Furiousox

Thanks for that - i'll find that house on daft or myhome i'm sure and i will look there after i write my reply to you.

I am first time buyer and ordinarily i would have a budget of approx €300 (ish) but with the way the government is cutting wages etc i do not want to stretch myself and end up working just to pay the bills... So i am going to try and see what i can get for €240 (ish).

My main query was if, for example, a house is advertised as having an asking price for €299, what would a reasonable offer be. I do know that it all depends on an area, size of house, etc. In my case i am hoping for ideally a 4 bed but i know a more realistic option for my price range is a 3 bed. As i said i have been watching the houses in the town over the past year and have seen quite a few houses not selling and not dropping their asking price either. There are loads that have been on the market for at least 6 months. One that i am particularly interested in is €295 on the north side of the town, 4 bed, and been on the market for the past 6 months. I get the feeling the owner is keen to sell, but i just dont want to pay over the odds.

I think really, that i am just going to try and figure out the whole house buying for myself :) Typical of me to try and get someone to hold my hand. Time to be an adult. But thank you very much for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just had a look out the window and the selling agent is DNG Brady.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

There is a house for sale near me in Boyne Hall, 4 Bed great view of Suspension Bridge was on for over 300k now I think they'll take around 270k. Unfortunately the agent is Sherry Property. Its a 4 bed semi facing green and then the river so nothing can be built in front of it. We find it great here it only takes 25 mins to get to the Airport if you pay the toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bunny2009

Hi folks,

I am at the other end of the sector, I am trying to sell my house but viewers are very thin on the ground. I have spent a fortune doing the place up and putting in new kitchens and bathrooms and wooden floors. My auctioneer Tommy Byrne has been great with advertising and he did bring me five viewers this past six months but the trouble i am having is the unrealistic offers I am getting.

I live in westcourt and I had my house for sale at 285,000 but this week I dropped it to 279,000 to try and get more interest. My neighbours house is at 315,000 with Con O Donoghue and another at 345,000 with Sherry Fitzgerald but i know that is over priced but still people are offering me 30,000 less than what I am looking for. I have already cut my asking price to the bone. So as frustrating as it is for you guys spare a though for those of us who are trying to sell at a realistic price and not rob people.

I am looking to move and I too have been looking at houses and its depressing that i cannot get going.

Hugs

kjbsrah wrote: »
    Hi Furiousox

Thanks for that - i'll find that house on daft or myhome i'm sure and i will look there after i write my reply to you.

I am first time buyer and ordinarily i would have a budget of approx €300 (ish) but with the way the government is cutting wages etc i do not want to stretch myself and end up working just to pay the bills... So i am going to try and see what i can get for €240 (ish).

My main query was if, for example, a house is advertised as having an asking price for €299, what would a reasonable offer be. I do know that it all depends on an area, size of house, etc. In my case i am hoping for ideally a 4 bed but i know a more realistic option for my price range is a 3 bed. As i said i have been watching the houses in the town over the past year and have seen quite a few houses not selling and not dropping their asking price either. There are loads that have been on the market for at least 6 months. One that i am particularly interested in is €295 on the north side of the town, 4 bed, and been on the market for the past 6 months. I get the feeling the owner is keen to sell, but i just dont want to pay over the odds.

I think really, that i am just going to try and figure out the whole house buying for myself :) Typical of me to try and get someone to hold my hand. Time to be an adult. But thank you very much for your reply.

LOL Was it my house you were looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

bunny2009 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am at the other end of the sector, I am trying to sell my house but viewers are very thin on the ground. I have spent a fortune doing the place up and putting in new kitchens and bathrooms and wooden floors. My auctioneer Tommy Byrne has been great with advertising and he did bring me five viewers this past six months but the trouble i am having is the unrealistic offers I am getting.

I live in westcourt and I had my house for sale at 285,000 but this week I dropped it to 279,000 to try and get more interest. My neighbours house is at 315,000 with Con O Donoghue and another at 345,000 with Sherry Fitzgerald but i know that is over priced but still people are offering me 30,000 less than what I am looking for. I have already cut my asking price to the bone. So as frustrating as it is for you guys spare a though for those of us who are trying to sell at a realistic price and not rob people.

I am looking to move and I too have been looking at houses and its depressing that i cannot get going.

Hugs

according to daft.ie, there's a house just 3 doors down from you on the market for 255k and it has been on at that price since early july. buyers are going to be looking for at least 10% off asking so the offers you already got would seem quite good on the surface, especially considering the price of your neighbour.

zac8 wrote: »
    according to daft.ie, there's a house just 3 doors down from you on the market for 255k and it has been on at that price since early july. buyers are going to be looking for at least 10% off asking so the offers you already got would seem quite good on the surface, especially considering the price of your neighbour.

That house was rented out for years and needs a hell of a lot of work. It was on the Market last year but he took it off to rent it out again. This week they were replacing the roof on the side extension because of leaking. Have you noticed how there are no interior pictures or any of the garden at the rear. It needs a lot of money spent on the interior. Mine is walk in condition and totally refurbished

There is no comparison. Try looking at the other houses in westcourt. You picked the worst example lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

bunny2009 wrote: »
    That house was rented out for years and needs a hell of a lot of work. It was on the Market last year but he took it off to rent it out again. This week they were replacing the roof on the side extension because of leaking. Have you noticed how there are no interior pictures or any of the garden at the rear. It needs a lot of money spent on the interior. Mine is walk in condition and totally refurbished

There is no comparison. Try looking at the other houses in westcourt. You picked the worst example lol.

fair enough. i sold last year and it took about 9 months so i know what you're going through. i just don't think an offer of 255k on a house listed at 285k should be dismissed out of hand. from a sellers point of view, i think it looks like a good opening offer.

zac8 wrote: »
    fair enough. i sold last year and it took about 9 months so i know what you're going through. i just don't think an offer of 255k on a house listed at 285k should be dismissed out of hand. from a sellers point of view, i think it looks like a good opening offer.

I agree it's a good OPENING offer but there was no negotiating. That was their only offer.

Advertisement