Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Years On..

Options
  • 21-01-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So it's been about 2 years since I've had to research what broadband to go for and it seems nothing has changed at all, low cap, high prices and line rental essential for a good connection:confused:

It's for a house with 5 levels, so the router will be in the sitting room on the 1st floor and access not really required on the 4th floor. so:

ground floor < floor where connection is most important
    1st <wireless router, sitting room
    2nd <kitchen/bedroom
    3rd <bedrooms
    4th <bedroom with no pc

(with the router on the ground floor, even the 2nd floor has trouble receiving the signal, with it on the 2nd floor, ground floor has trouble receiving, but with it on the 1st floor, all 5 levels can receive it)

This is in Dun Laoghaire, and I thought Smart or UPC would be viable options but neither are available in Dun Laoghaire so the rest of the options are pretty terrible. We just want broadband and don't care about phone calls or anything like that and it seems if we want a reliable connection with a good cap (20gb minimum as there'll be a few of us) it's going to cost at least €40 a month. Line speed not too important but really, I thought it would have gone up from 1mb as it was 2 years ago, seems the best deal for us is with BT, €45 a month for 10gb cap and 1mb speed.

This is a half rant/half request so if anyone knows any hidden gems for us, please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So after doing a bit of research I came up with IrishBroadband Breeze, 2mb up and down with no cap for €35 a month which I heard about on uchoose.ie. Rang them up to talk about it and they don't offer it anymore and the only breeze option is 4mb@55 per month :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Irish Broadband were bought by Imagine a while ago, and the "no cap" has also been removed, they now impose a cap, and I believe they charge if you go over. Breeze has had a turbulent history too, never been the most reliable of products.

You're probably going to have to pay for 3Mb DSL, which has a cap of around 30GB with most providers, or Digiweb Metro, who's cap is around 30-40GB, I believe.

To solve your internal issues, either run Ethernet cable, or use mains-Ethernet adapters. Wifi is obviously not working properly for you, and going across 3 floors, it probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jor el wrote: »
    Irish Broadband were bought by Imagine a while ago, and the "no cap" has also been removed, they now impose a cap, and I believe they charge if you go over. Breeze has had a turbulent history too, never been the most reliable of products.

I think you're mixing up Ripwave and Breeze.

Ripwave is "broadband in a box", "wireless dial-up" or whatever you want to call it and it's capped now.

Breeze is still uncapped (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=2 <-- says no cap), symmetric, fixed wireless and should in general be superiour to DSL, if done right.

Funny stuff is, that they are still running ad's for their own 2 mbit Breeze package on their own website. Bit of a mess.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However ethernet cable is better as mains adaptors may cause considerable interference and may be interupted by Radio signals. They use DSL type signals up to 30MHz, but mains wires are not balanced twisted pairs to eliminate radiation and interference pickup.

Due to a loophole in EU law these only have CE mark for safety and computer connection, they have never had proper type testing for RF interference (creation or susceptibility)

For longer runs or exposed cable the foil screened version of CAT5e (STP rather than UTP) is recommended. It will do 100m at 1Gbps and somewhat more at 100Mbps. If you put the 10/100/1000Mbps 5, 8 or 16 port ethernet switch at the "middle" that gives you about 200m for 1000Mbps or a bit more for 100Mbps.

Breeze is much better than Ripwave, but inferior to DSL and DSL can have lower contention. Breeze contention is high. I'd think it likely Imagine will cap Breeze soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

watty wrote: »
    Breeze is much better than Ripwave, but inferior to DSL and DSL can have lower contention.

I don't agree on the contention bit. It always depends on how the system is build. The latency is controlled on Breeze or fixed wireless in general, because the clients aren't roaming. In that sense it compares pretty much to DSL. How much it is contended then depends on the provider and they way they stick it together.

Beyond that, latency tends to be better on fixed wireless than DSL. Again, we could fight religious wars about that :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No need to fight Marlow & Watty.

You are both wrong :D

In fact I am joking - both can be good and bad - for example DSL might have full contention because of backhaul limitations in some areas, whereas wireless operators can over subscribe sectors/base stations and or suffer from the same limitation as DSL.

where DSL might get the edge is that DSL has a nailed up one to one relationship (copper run) at the access side whereas wireless will nearly always be one to many (air interface).

If all were equal in the world and spectrum and backhaul were in excess supply - they would be more or less about the same - IF all were equal. Problem is - in the real world - fairness and being equal is not always the reality......you could have endless bun fights on latency - interleaving on DSL and TDD v FDD on wireless along with endless stuff on SNR, packet loss and on and on and on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Marlow wrote: »
    I think you're mixing up Ripwave and Breeze.
    Nope, I was talking about Breeze. There have been posts here from IBB customers who were issued with letters saying their product is no longer uncapped. They may have changed that now. Breeze has never been one of the more reliable broadband services either. I see their DSL is capped, which it wasn't before, so maybe that what those people were talking about.
    Marlow wrote: »
    if done right.
    That's a huge if. I've never known Breeze to be superior to DSL, unless it happens to be someone with a particularly good Breeze connection comparing to someone with a particularly bad DSL connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Cormie - have you looked at UTV. They offer unlimited download on 1Mbps DSL for an extra 5.99 a mnth. WIth line rental - that comes to about 45 a month (all off peak landline calls included ).

Ah I love when there's a bit of debate in my threads, always provides good info :D

Ogham, I didn't know about the uncapped addition to UTV, thanks, but I'd really prefer to avoid line rental altogether, I rang Digiweb about metro and they said out of 40 people in Dun Laoghaire who tried it, only 2 were able to connect so there's a very slim chance I can get that. I don't want to pay for the 4mb breeze and would probably prefer to get DSL like we used to have but don't care for a phone line or anything like that either. That line rental thing is really annoying, I did read it will possibly be reduced some time though.

With regards to the connection reaching all floors, it's ok where it is at the moment, it can get as far as the 3rd floor and is fine on the ground floor (where it'll be used mostly, which is the most important), it's perfect on the 2nd floor too and obviously on the 1st floor where the router is. I was just wondering how it would work if I was to get one of them satellite things on the roof, where would the modem need to be if I'd a satellite on the roof? Would it need to be on the top (4th) floor? Meaning it wouldn't reach to the ground floor..?

• Advertisement

Ok, so it seems UTV is going to be the best option to go for.

For 1MB unlimited broadband it will be:
    MONTHLY PAYMENTS €9.99 per month for the first 3 months then €13.991
    % SAVINGS VERSUS EIRCOM 26% cheaper than eircom Starter
    CONTENTION RATIO 48:1
    SPEED Up to 1Mbps2
    USAGE 6GB download 3
    UNLIMITED USAGE UNLIMTED usage FREE for first 3 months (€5.99 per month thereafter)
    CONNECTION FREE connection (save €29.99)
    MODEM FREE Wireless Router
    WIRELESS ROUTER
    Wireless Router
    The Netgear DG834 G is a great wireless router – it has x4 Ethernet ports. FREE! upgrade fee. FREE! (€9.50 fee for P&P applicable – includes ‘signed for delivery’ direct to your door)
    EMAIL ADDRESSES UNLIMITED!!
    WEB SPACE 100Mb
    1 FIXED IP ADDRESS If required fixed IP addresses can be purchased at a cost of €3.50 each

+ line rentail @ 25.36 per month x 12 months = 304 per year.
    So 304 + 9.99 x 3 + 13.99 x 9 + 5.99 x 9

Total for year one: €514 (/12 = 42.83 per month)

Cost for year 2: €544 (/12 = 45.33 per month)
    (can cancel after 1 year when hopefully there may be better deals about and hopefully smart/upc/metro will be available)

For 3MB unlimited broadband it will be:
    MONTHLY PAYMENTS €9.99 per month for the first 3 months then €16.991
    % SAVINGS VERSUS EIRCOM 26% cheaper than eircom Homeplus
    CONTENTION RATIO 48:1
    SPEED Up to 3Mbps2
    USAGE 12GB download 3
    UNLIMITED USAGE UNLIMTED usage FREE for first 3 months (€5.99 per month thereafter)
    CONNECTION FREE connection (save €29.99)
    MODEM FREE Wireless Router
    WIRELESS ROUTER
    Wireless Router
    The Netgear DG834 G is a great wireless router – it has x4 Ethernet ports. FREE! upgrade fee. FREE! (€9.50 fee for P&P applicable – includes ‘signed for delivery’ direct to your door)
    EMAIL ADDRESSES UNLIMITED!!
    WEB SPACE 100Mb
    1 FIXED IP ADDRESS If required fixed IP addresses can be purchased at a cost of €3.50 each

+ line rentail @ 25.36 per month x 12 months = 304 per year.
    So 304 + 9.99 x 3 + 16.99 x 9 + 5.99 x 9 = €514 per year

Total for year one: €540 (/12 = 45 per month)

Cost for year two: €580 (/12 = 48.33 per month)

BT and all the other options eithe charge high installation fees or don't have a high enough up/down speed and cap. I'll probably go with UTV so, can't get UPC, Smart or Digiweb Metro so seems this is the next best

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Lads i'd love to see those posters getting letters about a cap on breeze, because as far as i'm aware It's only ripwave that's capped.

I think the above deal is almost better than the 4mb breeze anyway? That's 55 a month for 4mb. The above is 45 a month for 3mb uncapped. Does the extra mb really make much of a difference unless your a constant downloader?

With the UTV deal you also get free calls to landlines in Ireland and the UK every evening and all weekend. If you make any calls to the UK this will save you a lot.

I was just onto Digiweb there about their metro service and if I can get a signal, it'll be 5mb broadband with a 20gb cap and cost €518.40 for the first year

It will then cost €419.40 for year 2 so 2 years will cost €937.80 as opposed to €1,120 with UTV and I'll be getting 5mb instead of 3mb but will be on a cap of 20gb, which is fine for me and will hopefully be with the amount of us sharing the connection in the house.

There's a slim chance it will actually work where I am as they said that out of 40 people who got a technician out to check, only 2 could actually receive the signal, but my place is very high so might be ok, it'll take 10 working days though and is only €21 cheaper for year one, after which I'm sure there will be better deals about and maybe UPC will be in the area.

What would be better I wonder Metro 5mb/20gb cap, or UTV 3mb through DSL with unltd cap?

No mention of contention on metro package:confused:

Ogham wrote: »
    With the UTV deal you also get free calls to landlines in Ireland and the UK every evening and all weekend. If you make any calls to the UK this will save you a lot.

There's no mention of the free calls on the package I'm looking at unfortunately :(https://ssl.u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/option.asp?option=3&ROIUser=true

(EDIT: oh it actually says it at the bottom, I wasn't sure if that was with the package or not though, and what's the 3euro additional fee per month if you don't get the utv talk? Surely it'd be cheaper without the utv talk? So I wonder is the UTV talk/free evening calls included in the 540 per year.. and do I save a tenner if I don't need the modem? :D)

The 3mb utv bundle gives free anytime calls for €597 per year uncapped.

Save the line rental with Metro by ditching phone line. Contention on Metro is similar to UTV DSL.

Calls to other Metro customers are free and other calls cheaper than eircom.
    It costs extra to transfer existing number to Metro.

Will indeed be ditching the phone line if I go with Metro, but it will still cost 518 for the first year, or are you saying you can get Metro even cheaper than 34.95 a month if you don't get a phone number at all off them? I don't see an option for that though:confused:

So besides the cap, Digiweb is the better option with the same contention, a faster line speed of 5mb compared to 2, and cheaper also?

You get either a Digiweb geographic number (01 Dublin, 021 Cork etc) or pay an extra once off charge to use your existing number. You can get a second "line" & number cheaply. With UTV you are paying eircom line rental.

Yeah, I have no need for the existing number so wouldn't be porting it if I went with Digiweb so wouldn't be paying the 60 euro porting fee. If it was possible not to get phone number at all and pay less than the €34.95 I'd go for it, but seems phone numbers are inclusive anyway. Tis a pain having to pay eircom line rental alright, so I suppose it comes down to what would be better, 3mb uncapped broadband, or 5mb with a 20gb cap using the metro airwave system which hasn't got the best record in Dun Laoghaire.

Which would be more likely to have problems I wonder? The previous providers were indeed UTV but not the same package and I never really had any problems, with 3mb it'll be a good boost too, I wonder would that improve my VOIP experience?

What would you folk go for? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A 20GB cap seems a bit small for a 5Mbit connection.

I use UTV myself, and generally it's OK (there have been issues before that also affected BT, who UTV seem to use to some extent). Once/if Smart unbundle the exchange in Donegal Town, I'll be off like a shot to Smart though. :)

With regards wifi reception, could you not maybe put on a higher-gain antenna on the router, which may improve reception throughout the house?

Reception is actually fine on the ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor. Not sure about the 4th floor, but the person up there doesn't have a laptop and would be using somebody elses so the reception throughout the house is fine :) Yeah, I'm thinking 20gb isn't much on a 5mb line, and also between 5 people it could be a bit dodgy and would have to be checking the usage to make sure it's ok all the time. Might just go with UTV so. Pity NTL/UPC and Smart aren't available where I am. To find out if Digiweb will work, will take up to 10 working days for them to send somebody out, and if it works when they get here, we have to sign up (or probably pay a call out fee) if it doesn't work, which 38 out of 40 in Dun Laoghaire resulted in, then I'd have to forget that and go with UTV anyway.

I got a PM saying that about 50% of Dun Laoghaire installs are successful so I might give Digiweb a go. Sometimes in the past, I've had problems sending emails as it said the IP address was flagged for spamming, it's happening now on my o2 connection :( If I was to get a fixed IP address, would this solve it as it'd only be us using it and none of us are looking for somebody to share our friends fortunes. What are the pros and cons of a fixed IP and I don't see digiweb offer this, does the digiweb connection work in the same IP way?

Does the person who sent you the PM happen to work for Digiweb?

I'm not sure :) If I didn't have to wait 10 bleedin working days I'd definitely give them a go on Monday, but I need it pretty urgently!

Think I'll be going with Digiweb, found out their contention is 1:36 as opposed to 1:48 with UTV and if you go over the 20gb, you aren't charged or disconnected, the speed just slows down, which is fine with me :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cormie wrote: »
    Think I'll be going with Digiweb, found out their contention is 1:36 as opposed to 1:48 with UTV and if you go over the 20gb, you aren't charged or disconnected, the speed just slows down, which is fine with me :)

UTV do offer an unlimited option for 5e extra a month, I have the option and have to say I've had no issues with charges etc since I've had UTV since June/July.

cormie wrote: »

I would worry about that speed reduction - especially since there are going to be a few of youe sharing the broadband. According to several comments on boards the speed reductions on Metro can be very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

In my experience the speeds will be reduced by a considerable ammount probably around dial up speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Get youself some capless UPC 20mb, probably 50mb in next couple of months!

Brian!

Advertisement