Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most efficient way to run gas boiler?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering whats the most efficient way to run a gas boiler. The boiler at home is on from 8 am until 9 pm, but I have set the timer so that it comes on for 15 minutes and goes of for 15 minutes. The timer is set like this for the duration of the time that the boiler is on.

Is this a good idea or should I turn down the teromstat and leave the boiler running constantly?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I tried this the year before last and I can say that this is not any more efficient than leaving the thermostat do its own thing.

Reason being that during the 15 mins off-period, the house cools down and the system then has to play catch-up when it comes on again. Hence, you have to set the thermostat higher to achieve the same average temperature.

What you are also doing is cycling the boiler more frequently than it's used to. This will cause wear & tear on the various conponents.

Advertisement