Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

humberklog wrote: »
    Sold everywhere. I agree the best by a yard. Although the Supervalue Leek and Pepper are sterling sausies too.

I'll keep an eye out so, what % pork are they?

Got "Milton Gate" Premium sausages in Lidl a few times now, tasty feckers, 80% pork which is the highest I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't think I've ever had Kearns, Where are they sold? I'll have to see what tastes so good that people call Superquinners tasteless muck.
    There are done by Olhausen in Coolock. (I think they may have bought the receipe from Kearns but I'm not sure).

09_Sausage_Range1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Are you trying to get fired?

impossible;)

There are done by Olhausen in Coolock. (I think they may have bought the receipe from Kearns but I'm not sure).

09_Sausage_Range1.jpg

kearns do a brand that they sell to the catering trade thats called 'bestfoods'. they are nicer then the normal kearns sausages, if anyone goes into the factory shop in coolock i would suggest asking for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Kearns sausies are actually made by aulhuasens. they used to be in Coolock as Wishbone said, but they moved out to an industrial estate on the snugborough rd in blanch., The coolock plant used to have a part where you could go and buy them straight from the factory but i dont think they do that anymore. They supply sausages to dunnes though and i think tesco too.
    When my missus was working there she brought home a load of different sausages that she was given to do a taste test, needless to say i was ever the loving partner and kindly offered to help her out with this. :D
    The regular kearns ones got the vote from me, the others were nice but that one was the best.

Its funny this thread came up today, as soon as i got in the door this evening i found a nice coddle waiting for me., :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

simonw wrote: »
    Smyths in phibsboro do it as far as i know

Heavens forbid anyone eats in that place!.

09_Sausage_Range1.jpg

Anyone remember the original Kearns (Olhausens) sausages and where they were made?..

(Rashers?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The last time I had a decent coddle was when my aul fella came over unexpectedly to visit me in London in the early 1990's. He brought over a rake of sausages and rashers. When I got home from work that evening there was a big bowl of coddle waiting for me on the table.

*Wipes tear from eye

09_Sausage_Range1.jpg

Ah, they look familiar alright, I'll report back soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Mairt wrote: »
    Anyone remember the original Kearns (Olhausens) sausages and where they were made?..

(Rashers?).

That'd be Parnell St.. A mate of mine was an apprentice butcher on Dorset St and his boss used to send him to the Kearns factory to pick up the sausages. He always found time for a swft pint in the Metro on his way back.
    Pretty sure Ohausens was started by Gormleys butchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Had coddle last night after being out for a few drinks. Bit of milk and Yorkshire Relish with bread. Lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

admrilofthefleet, where do you work?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ryoishin wrote: »
    the Crossbar in Harold's Cross apparently. Saturday's free coddle day! (I wonder what match is being shown live, hmmm).

ryoishin wrote: »
    the Crossbar in Harold's Cross

^^^^
    what he said

That'd be Parnell St.. A mate of mine was an apprentice butcher on Dorset St and his boss used to send him to the Kearns factory to pick up the sausages. He always found time for a swft pint in the Metro on his way back.
    Pretty sure Ohausens was started by Gormleys butchers.

Very good, I didn't think that would have been answered so quickly.

I hear The Johnstwon House (beside Woodies on the Malahide Rd) do a freebie coddle every thursday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Would that be the Newtown house? thats the only pub i can think of around that area, its close to lidl.,

Would that be the Newtown house? thats the only pub i can think of around that area, its close to lidl.,

thats it alright, its sometimes called the belcamp as well

Your right, thanks.

Well I found those Olhausens sausages, 57% pork. You must all like the taste of the fat content

• Advertisement

Well I found those Olhausens sausages, 57% pork. You must all like the taste of the fat content
    That's quite good actually.

The minimum level of meat content recommended for Australian sausages is 50% but here is the catch ... manufacturers don't have to specify what type of meat goes into them. On the label it just says 'meat' so you could be eating anything.

Sausages among many other types of food (don't get me started!) are what I miss about Ireland. The snags that you get here are sub standard unless you go to a European style butcher and buy the expensive ones but a good coddle they don't necessarily make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dSTAR wrote: »
    The minimum level of meat content recommended for Australian sausages is 50% but here is the catch ... manufacturers don't have to specify what type of meat goes into them. On the label it just says 'meat' so you could be eating anything.

C.M.O.T. Dibbler's sausage ina bun specails.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    C.M.O.T. Dibbler's sausage ina bun specails.
    That's right with enough 'dead horse' (sauce) and onions you don't actually taste how crappy they are.

Love the fat content. If I need any more proper meat I'll buy a pork chop.

I went out with girl from the country (irish). We were living in England. On a cold day I got a text that read - I'm cooking you coddle. I sped from Southampton to Brighton in about 40 minutes. All smelled good until the bowl was placed in front of me. She'd only went and fried the Jaysus Feckin sausies before she put them in the pot. I got a kebab and sulked. Country people know NOTHING of the way of the coddle.

She'd only went and fried the Jaysus Feckin sausies before she put them in the pot...
    :eek: What?? I would have told her to pack her stuff and be out by morning.

dSTAR wrote: »
    :eek: What?? I would have told her to pack her stuff and be out by morning.

What's worse was it was the last of a batch that I had brought back from Ireland. Superquin (I like Superquins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

omg thats awful.

What's worse was it was the last of a batch that I had brought back from Ireland. Superquin (I like Superquins).
    Ignore my earlier comment. She would've been out the door that night :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you all are sick. "Coddle" should be banned.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    you all are sick. "Coddle" should be banned.
    You should be banned for saying such horrible things :(

:D:D:D

Advertisement