Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

humberklog wrote: »
    Love the fat content. If I need any more proper meat I'll buy a pork chop.

I went out with girl from the country (irish). We were living in England. On a cold day I got a text that read - I'm cooking you coddle. I sped from Southampton to Brighton in about 40 minutes. All smelled good until the bowl was placed in front of me. She'd only went and fried the Jaysus Feckin sausies before she put them in the pot. I got a kebab and sulked. Country people know NOTHING of the way of the coddle.

A lot of "Traditional Irish" recipies say to fry the sausages and rashers first, I actually get quite angry when I read them.

dSTAR wrote: »
    That's quite good actually.

The minimum level of meat content recommended for Australian sausages is 50% but here is the catch ... manufacturers don't have to specify what type of meat goes into them. On the label it just says 'meat' so you could be eating anything.

Sausages among many other types of food (don't get me started!) are what I miss about Ireland. The snags that you get here are sub standard unless you go to a European style butcher and buy the expensive ones but a good coddle they don't necessarily make.

Well 80% pork is what I usually get here, since I started eating higher % pork sausages the 57%ish ones aren't so appealing anymore. (Sausage snob)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Well 80% pork is what I usually get here, since I started eating higher % pork sausages the 57%ish ones aren't so appealing anymore. (Sausage snob)
    Mmmm they sound good. Do you get them in a gourmet foot store/stall or your local butchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Who the hell cares what the percentages are? They taste better than other sausages.

This country is fooked, people and their fancy 80% sausages. Think this recession was well overdue to slap some sense into people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Theres a stand in the Epicurean Food Hall that does it.

• Advertisement

dSTAR wrote: »
    Mmmm they sound good. Do you get them in a gourmet foot store/stall or your local butchers?

Get them in Lidl "Milton Gate" I think they are called.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Who the hell cares what the percentages are? They taste better than other sausages.

This country is fooked, people and their fancy 80% sausages. Think this recession was well overdue to slap some sense into people.

I care, I dont mind cutting spending on many things, but not food. I don't need sense slapped into me at all, I'm very careful with money and always have been, I'm just not prepared to eat cheap/crap food. I never buy M&S style overpriced ready made food, I get all ingredients from local butchers and veggie shops and dinners are very cheap that way.
    The 80% pork sausages are only slightly more expensive anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just wondering if anyone has any recipe for coddle?

Checked wikipedia and it has got me interested.

pork sausages = yum
    rashers = yum
    potatoes = yum
    onions = yum

Sounds like my kind of dish
    It consists of layers of roughly sliced pork sausages and rashers (thinly sliced, somewhat fatty back bacon) with sliced potatoes, and onions. Traditionally, it can also include optional barley. The dish is semi-boiled, and semi-steamed in the stock produced by boiling the rashers and sausages. Some traditional recipes favour the addition of a small amount of Guinness to the pot, but this is very rare in modern versions of the recipe.[2] The dish should be cooked in a pot with a well-fitting lid in order to steam the ingredients left uncovered by water.[1] The only seasoning is usually salt, pepper, and occasionally parsley. It could be considered a comfort food in Ireland, as it is inexpensive, easy to prepare and quick to cook. It is often eaten in the winter months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just to say if anyone is coming in to me tomorrow im open from 12.30 - 4pm

pork sausages = yum
    rashers = yum
    potatoes = yum
    onions = yum

Carrots are a must too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

pork sausages = yum
    rashers = yum
    potatoes = yum
    onions = yum

Just Google it mate every link I saw was a recipe, thats why I started the thread :)

All you got to do is add your own signature to it

e.g. I know a guy who made who put a worn sock in it for flavour,
    it wer luv-er-ly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

pork sausages = yum
    rashers = yum
    potatoes = yum
    onions = yum

Does everybody else use these ingredients? Every online recipe I've seen has stuff like this, but my ma always made coddle with just sausages and onions and a few slices of bread to dip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What about that soup mix stuff? ya have to have that in yout coddle!

What about that soup mix stuff? ya have to have that in yout coddle!

Like a packet of dried soup or the soup mix of herbs the veggie shops sell??

Sometimes I put one chicken stock cube in, not always though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Soup mix in coddle is wrong. Not a big fan of stock cubes either ... they are mostly salt anyway.

Does anyone else put carrots into a coddle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Carrots are a must too.

Carrots should NEVER be put in a coddle.:D

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the nicest rashers to use are gammon rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

just to say if anyone is coming in to me tomorrow im open from 12.30 - 4pm

Will I get a freebie coddle?.

Carrots should NEVER be put in a coddle.:D

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the nicest rashers to use are gammon rashers.

Don't think I've ever had one without carrots, well boiled and soft mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Did anyone go for some coddle yesterday then?

I had to head back down the road, otherwise would have loved to pop up for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone remember the original Kearns (Olhausens) sausages and where they were made?..

(Rashers?).

Kearns sausages were legendary in Dublin and made in Parnell St (now apartments), their ham was the best I've ever tasted. Ever.

Kearns (of Coolock) was John Kearns - a brother of the Peter and David Kearns of Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ooh, a necrothread. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Easy knowing this is the Dublin forum

I for one and I'm not alone never heard of coddle before moving to Dublin
    Just does not exist elsewhere

Easy knowing this is the Dublin forum

I for one and I'm not alone never heard of coddle before moving to Dublin
    Just does not exist elsewhere

have you tried it yet?

I posted a coddle recipe here a while back. Might cook myself up one this evening if its keeps raining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiaranC wrote: »
    I posted a coddle recipe here a while back. Might cook myself up one this evening if its keeps raining

Where is it raining? It's sunny in Finglas

Des wrote: »
    Where is it raining? It's sunny in Finglas

Whats this, the bleedin weather forum? It was raining in Tallaght about an hour ago, im stuck down a basement now though. Im still having a coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Right Ciarán I've followed your instructions (plu a little extra stock ad extra barley) and now time will tell. Ready in 90 mins! *smacks lips

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just requested a coddle off the mother for next week, turns out we used all the last of our gammon rashers the last time and only have some collar rashers left in the freezer. We usually get our sausages and rashers for coddle down on Meath St, but the butchers down there you have to order gammon ones in which is a pain, anywhere around Dublin 8 that does decent gammon rashers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

sdonn wrote: »
    Right Ciarán I've followed your instructions (plu a little extra stock ad extra barley) and now time will tell. Ready in 90 mins! *smacks lips

G'wan, how was it?

Just requested a coddle off the mother for next week, turns out we used all the last of our gammon rashers the last time and only have some collar rashers left in the freezer. We usually get our sausages and rashers for coddle down on Meath St, but the butchers down there you have to order gammon ones in which is a pain, anywhere around Dublin 8 that does decent gammon rashers?

courtneys in the KCR industrial estate on captains road sells them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I had my first coddle last night!

Was walking home from work, and saw a chalk board outside The Pint advertising it. Went in for a bowl... It's soooo good. Rang my parents to let them know that never making it for me was a form of neglect. 25 wasted years :(

Advertisement