Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What head torch do you use?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I'm using the Petzyl Tikka plus and let me tel you..

It's brutal!!:mad:

So what head torch are you using or have used that you'd reccomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tells wrote: »
    I'm using the Petzyl Tikka plus and let me tel you..

It's brutal!!:mad:

So what head torch are you using or have used that you'd recommend?
    I've got the same one ... had it for years, and it does exactly what it's meant to do. It doesn't cast a long distance focussed beam, but then it isn't really designed for that and you can't really blame it for that. It's perfect for map reading and illuminating the immediate area in front of your feet.

BTW I'm assuming by the sad smiley that your use of the term "brutal" means you don't like it? (It's one of those terms that can be used either way in my experience!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I use a Petzl Myo 3 noir.
    Its slightly heavy at 240g but its fairly versatile cause it has a decent strength halogen bulb and more economical LEDs.

Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm using a Varta that I bought in Woodies, I've had it for a year and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i use the petzle tike XP.
    1088495.jpg
    this one. i bought the coloured filters for it. its a bummer having to pay extra for the filters. for its price the red one should come as standard.
    personally i love it. i rarely ever use it on full brightness, and i usually use it with the red filter on so night vision will not be ruined and so i do not make enemies around the campfire. (i make enemies easily enough without my kit helping.)
    thinks to note;
    a head torch is not designed to be a head mounted highbeam torch, (with the excepting of the silva L1 maybe) and should not be used as one.
    red filters are the sheetz. always recomend them. amazing the difference it makes on a night when everyone is reded up. if ever you can, get a head torch with one.
    use lithium batteries. they are less affected by the cold, and stay charged a lot longer.
    bring a back-up light. i always have at least one back up light to my head torch. usually a bike light or similar stashed away in my pack. it usually gets used. either someone else forgets their torch, or someone elses breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Petzl Duo 5 LED - MRT work

and

Silva M2 - Personal kit

Both have halogen and LED units. Both run on 4AA's.

The Petzl is the better unit, but they're around €100.

Also have an e-lite fixed to my pack, which has been used in anger a couple of times.

• Advertisement

use lithium batteries. they are less affected by the cold, and stay charged a lot longer.

Possibly, but check the link below first !!!

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesNews?News=159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Petzl Duo 5 LED - MRT work

and

Silva M2 - Personal kit

Both have halogen and LED units. Both run on 4AA's.

The Petzl is the better unit, but they're around €100.

Also have an e-lite fixed to my pack, which has been used in anger a couple of times.
    Have the old duo, the one without the LEDs, I've had it around 7 years I think and love it.

I also have a 12w halogen lamp that I can attach to it, kinda defeates the purpose of walking at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Alun wrote: »
    Possibly, but check the link below first !!!

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesNews?News=159

wow, that was news to me!!! thanks for the heads-up there. looks like i shouldn't be using the litiums!!. bummer.

wow, that was news to me!!! thanks for the heads-up there. looks like i shouldn't be using the litiums!!. bummer.
    Yeah, I remember seeing a thread on here a good while back regarding this, and your post made me think of it.

There can also be problems with some GPS models using Lithium batteries, even some that are "designed" for them where the initial voltage can be too high (up to about 1.8V). At initial switch-on this can cause some GPS's to immediately switch off again. The trick is to slightly discharge them for a while in something else that's less fussy, like a normal incandescent bulb torch, until the voltage gets down to something more like 1.5-1.6V before using them in the GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Petzl
    Zipka Plus Headlamp w/ retractable strap

15935_m.jpg

This is the smallest and lightest one on the market. It is expensive at 38 dollars / euros.
    It is rated as very good, but it only is good for a distance of 10 meters.

The real advantage is in its size and economy.The four LED lamps consume roughly one-tenth of the power used by a standard flashlight bulb and offer a lifetime of 100,000 hours.

I would like a stronger headlamp that is just as economical in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Petzl MYO XP, first gen. Second gen is much more powerful. Previous torches included the DUO LED 5 and the MYO 5 Belt. Before you ask I worked in a gear shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Coach Ed

These cannot be beaten:

http://www.silva.se/en/Products/Mobile-Lighting/Alpha-Intelligent-Light/
    http://en.petzl.com/ultra/ultra-concept.html

These are great for mixed use, Hill walking, Orienteering, Mountain running, Mountain biking, Adventure racing......

Both Petzl and Silva (and others) have a large range of smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Coach Ed wrote: »
    These cannot be beaten:

http://www.silva.se/en/Products/Mobile-Lighting/Alpha-Intelligent-Light/
    http://en.petzl.com/ultra/ultra-concept.html

These are great for mixed use, Hill walking, Orienteering, Mountain running, Mountain biking, Adventure racing......

Both Petzl and Silva (and others) have a large range of smaller ones.

They cannot be beaten for sheer cost either...............

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Generally I like to buy the best equipment that I can afford but for head torches I went to Aldi and bought a couple for only a few euros each. They are not super waterproof or adjustable, but they are functional and cheap. I have taped the joints to make them a bit more waterproof but to be honest I have never had a problem with them.

If it is for general pottering about, reading in your tent etc. then a cheap light will do. The money saved could be the difference between having to skimp on boots or buying quality boots. I know I would prefer good boots.

Andrew

Advertisement