Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today is the Feast of Saint Brigid

• 21-01-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

January 21st is the feast day of Saint Brigid of Kilbride.

I will say a few prayers asking for her intercession now and at the hour of my death.

I hope all Roman Catholics on here do the same :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Dear Pamela.. has this been moved? It was always February 1st?

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid_of_Kildare

and

http://www.kildare.ie/local-history/kildare/saint-brigid.htm

Blessings....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

mi confused:eek: i always though it was Feb 1st! at least thats what we were though n school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Yep Feb 1st

My Daughter is a Bridgin and theyre having a special mass next Sunday as its St. Brigid's day.

Chef

edit... On the plus side you get to pray twice, you being a good RC and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We used to make St Brigid Crosses to sell on our market stall.. but they look so like swastikas we stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I used to use the letter which is between the z and c on the keyboard, but it also looks a bit like a swastika so I've stopped using it least I inadvertently make someone uncomfortable.

I must say in a odd way I miss things like Bridget crosses, they where a bit of Irish culture, it would be a shame if they were no longer made in schools. Though to the best of my memory I can't recall my son mentioning them and he's in a 'catholic' school. I shall have to quiz him forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

sorella wrote: »
    We used to make St Brigid Crosses ...
    As a non Roman Catholic I have always been puzzed by these crosses. Are they not feeding superstition?

Was Saint Brigid a real historical person, or the mythical Celtic pagan goddess in another form? According to Kildare.ie "we don't know."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

santing wrote: »
    As a non Roman Catholic I have always been puzzed by these crosses. Are they not feeding superstition?
    No. The legend says that a chieftain was on his death bed and rambling. St Brigid came to see him at the request of his daughter. She began to weave a cross; the chieftain became curious. Brigid told him the good news of Jesus and he believed, and was saved at the hour of death. Nothing heretical or superstitious about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

Húrin wrote: »
    No. The legend says that a chieftain was on his death bed and rambling. St Brigid came to see him at the request of his daughter. She began to weave a cross; the chieftain became curious. Brigid told him the good news of Jesus and he believed, and was saved at the hour of death. Nothing heretical or superstitious about it.
    Nothing superstitious about the legend, I agree.
    But what about its current usage?
    Nowadays Saint Brigid's Crosses, <...>, are hung in houses and barns to protect the buildings against fire and lightning and the inhabitants from illness and epidemics. In some areas of the counties Donegal and Antrim the waste straws are pilled up beside the stove to form a bed when Saint Brigid visits the house or are used against headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

santing wrote: »
    Nothing superstitious about the legend, I agree.
    But what about its current usage?

Some people keep regular crosses in their home as some sort of superstitious ward against evil. Should I avoid crosses in that case?
    Some people treat the Bible like a good luck charm too. Should I get rid of my Bible?

Misuse does not disqualify proper use.

Advertisement