Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price this job

• 21-01-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Im doing a job in a solicitors office. ive given them a price for hardware which they are fine with. but for labour im not sure. This is a cash in hand job BTW....

Move isdn box with 2 lines and a third direct line, a panasonic pabx and 6 phones all from one office to their new office next door.

install 2 nework points from the ground floor to the second floor in new office.

install a 30u or so coms box, patch panel, switch, broadband, firewall, wireless and a NAS. Connect 6 pcs to network. configure all and leavit it up and runnning so they can patch points for computers or phone lines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Depending on how well you know them or there is a possibility of paid maintenance down the road i'd probably charge a daily rate. If you need to come out again the daily rate would apply if ya get me?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That should take you about 2-3 days dep on minor issues that always seem to pop up? How's 400 euro sound? And 20-30 euro an hour (I won't comment on the cash in hand thing) for maintenance down the road? I don't agree with the daily rate. If they want you there for 30 mins in the morning and you ask for 100 euros they're gonna be miffed. Hourly is easier imo (include travel time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Four hundred for three days seems very, very low... although three days seems like a long time for a job like this. I'd diary them for two days and the invoice would be closer to 1,500 plus a day's maintenance included (which can be split to two half days). Anything beyond that and it's the usual hourly fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Solicitors & cash in hand - why am I not surprised...

I'd second daily rate on the installation and hourly on the maintenenace. I guess the €400 above was a daily rate which wouldn't be beyond the pale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jetski wrote: »
    Im doing a job in a solicitors office. ive given them a price for hardware which they are fine with. but for labour im not sure. This is a cash in hand job BTW....

Move isdn box with 2 lines and a third direct line, a panasonic pabx and 6 phones all from one office to their new office next door.

install 2 nework points from the ground floor to the second floor in new office.

install a 30u or so coms box, patch panel, switch, broadband, firewall, wireless and a NAS. Connect 6 pcs to network. configure all and leavit it up and runnning so they can patch points for computers or phone lines.
    This totally depends on how good you are and how long you were working for since one building might be [mod]difficult[/mod] to wire but another might be simple.

Look at how long it took you and give a price according to that (adjust for cash).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Solicitors & cash in hand - why am I not surprised...
    could you find out their hourly rate ?

a lot depends on whether you want them for more work later, but don't be tempted to do the job as a loss leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

300-400 daily x 3 days + 50 an hour if extras are needed after the initial install.

That would be my rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Jumpy wrote: »
    300-400 daily x 3 days + 50 an hour if extras are needed

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

300-400 is pretty low for that level of work, id notch it up to a straight hourly rate for the duration of the job. 70-100 p/h, if it was a staight forward move yeh 50 p/h would be ok, but there is a fair bit of manual work there.

If your moving the hardware for them charge them for travel time between sites and also a moving fee.

Network points are a bit iffy, usually its best to get an certified electrician to fit them. Yes you can do it, but you cant certify them.

As for cash in hand, be carefull! anything goes wrong its on your head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zekiel wrote: »
    300-400 is pretty low for that level of work, id notch it up to a straight hourly rate for the duration of the job. 70-100 p/h, if it was a staight forward move yeh 50 p/h would be ok, but there is a fair bit of manual work there.

If your moving the hardware for them charge them for travel time between sites and also a moving fee.
    the other approach is to charge a fixed price for the job, and tell them it's your incentive to do it quickly and that if there are problems then you loose. But you would only do this when you have 100% agreed the scope and you trust them not to mess about
    As for cash in hand, be carefull! anything goes wrong its on your head.
    solicitors LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement