Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Should that not be "I" ?
    Context says not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »

Depends whose/what context you/I am referring to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If space does permit in your house.
    Decoy safe. A gunsafe in a seemingly "obvious" place for them to work away on.Only to find that when they have either broken it open there is nothing but scrap pipes .While your genuie safe is somehere else well concealed in the house.

More towards the gun dealer side of things.
    It seems that family cars have been used as the getaway cars.Vechicle Tracking Devices,nowadays are pretty good,work on a 3G,GSM,GPRS coverage and are not stupidly expensive or difficult to fit to your car.[Appx 3ins X4ins black box]
    It sure would be handy if you could give the Gardai co ordinates as to where your car is headed via SMS on your mobile.After all,there is no point in them arriving at your door when the horse is long gone from the stable.Thats fine to pick up the bits,but wouldn't be better to get in pursuit of the departing criminals?
    They are getting smaller,that the technology could be custom fitted into a riflestock.So pretty soon you could put a "bait gun" in the stock room.If it is touched a micro tilt switch activates the tracker which alarms your or somone else's mobile that it is being moved when it shouldn't be.
    There is a great device in the USA,called SENTRY.It is illegal here as it uses CS gas.BUT I would argue that maybe it would be justified in a situation where the inconvience of the criminal is heavily outweighed by the theft of several firearms and the damage they could do.

I will add a couple of other things that I personally think is chronically lacking in peoples security in Ireland. PERSONAL AWARENESS andPLANNING of impending trouble and what to do when it hits seems to be anathema to us here for some reason.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

And the timelocks. Which, for the sort of secure storage most RFDs would have, isn't going to be terribly cheap. We're not talking about a small safe here, in most cases you're talking about actual strongrooms.

Not to mention that if someone has a shotgun to your child's head, you don't want to be trying to explain that the door's on a timelock - you want to be giving them everything they ask for, and not risking them getting more frustrated and agitated.

As Rew said I wasnt referring to time lock safes but suggesting if the premises alarm was set up on the same principles as a time lock safe with the dealer setting the times with the alarm company.

The whole idea is an attempt to move or at least minimise the threat to the dealer and especially his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

The only way I can see to at least take way some of that advantage is for the dealer's premises alarm to be of a time lock nature. Say the business is shut from 5.30pm in the evening and reopens at 8.30am the next morning. Well if the alarm is monitored in such a way that any deactivation between 5.30pm and 8.30am results in a Garda response (would be a high priority call) to the dealers house and premises at the same time. I think this could deter criminals from doing over the dealers.

That makes sense to me.

I worked in a restaurant, one night a staff member came back at about 4am with a key, turned off the alarm and helped himself to the proceeds. Needless to say the owner was not impressed.

After this event the alarm system was then programmed so that if it is disarmed after midnight the monitoring station is immediately contacted without the alarm sounding. There was a modest charge by the monitoring station for this charge, but this problem was instantly sorted.

I was told that this can be programmed into any modern alarm system.

I do not see how such measures would not inconvenience firearms dealers. Under normal circumstances a registered firearms dealer should not be opening his shop at 4am!!

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    There is a great device in the USA,called SENTRY.It is illegal here as it uses CS gas.
    I like the GPS tracking device on the car, but something in my gunsafe that sprays me in the face with CS gas if triggered? I dunno grizzly, I don't see why I would trust something like that to not go off accidentally when I won't trust the safety catch on the rifles in the safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It still comes down to the type of burglary and aggrevated burglary is very very scary (and Dangerous) for those involved.

What would you do?
    A violent individual screaming at you to open the safe with your wife and your family being held hostage in the next room?

Explain to him that they are all on time locks and if he comes back tomorrow at 08.30 he'll have a better chance of getting them, (as the thumps rain down on you) your still shliting yourself.

Or do you hand him the keys and say take them dont hurt my family.

A guard told me only last year that you hand them the keys,

My guns are in the safe, my house is alarmed, I have two panic buttons, I have security lights, I use chamber locks and store ammunition seperate, I recently purchased discreet cctv (God bless Maplin) But if push came to shove and they wanted your stuff, You will hand it to them.

If space does permit in your house.
    Decoy safe. A gunsafe in a seemingly "obvious" place for them to work away on.Only to find that when they have either broken it open there is nothing but scrap pipes .While your genuie safe is somehere else well concealed in the house.

More towards the gun dealer side of things.
    It seems that family cars have been used as the getaway cars.Vechicle Tracking Devices,nowadays are pretty good,work on a 3G,GSM,GPRS coverage and are not stupidly expensive or difficult to fit to your car.[Appx 3ins X4ins black box]
    It sure would be handy if you could give the Gardai co ordinates as to where your car is headed via SMS on your mobile.After all,there is no point in them arriving at your door when the horse is long gone from the stable.Thats fine to pick up the bits,but wouldn't be better to get in pursuit of the departing criminals?
    They are getting smaller,that the technology could be custom fitted into a riflestock.So pretty soon you could put a "bait gun" in the stock room.If it is touched a micro tilt switch activates the tracker which alarms your or somone else's mobile that it is being moved when it shouldn't be.
    There is a great device in the USA,called SENTRY.It is illegal here as it uses CS gas.BUT I would argue that maybe it would be justified in a situation where the inconvience of the criminal is heavily outweighed by the theft of several firearms and the damage they could do.

I like these ideas above

It still comes down to the type of burglary and aggrevated burglary is very very scary (and Dangerous) for those involved.

What would you do?
    A violent individual screaming at you to open the safe with your wife and your family being held hostage in the next room?

Explain to him that they are all on time locks and if he comes back tomorrow at 08.30 he'll have a better chance of getting them, (as the thumps rain down on you) your still shliting yourself.

Or do you hand him the keys and say take them dont hurt my family.

A guard told me only last year that you hand them the keys,

My guns are in the safe, my house is alarmed, I have two panic buttons, I have security lights, I use chamber locks and store ammunition seperate, I recently purchased discreet cctv (God bless Maplin) But if push came to shove and they wanted your stuff, You will hand it to them.

Exactly, hand them keys or co-operate. Never ever try to bargain with them or attempt a John Wayne move.

I think there is some confusion regarding my time lock reference. If an alarm was deactivated at 4am in the morning the dealer would still be able to get in but the monitoring company would then alert the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The few firearms dealers I know well enough to discuss their security with them tell me that they all have a radio link with the monitoring station, to avoid the possibility of the criminals disconnecting the alarm by cutting the phone lines.

That, combined with discreet panic buttons and duress codes on the alarm panel should provide instant notification of the cavalry even under a hostage situation, provided of course, the unfortunate individual has their wits about them to activate these things.

I've often thought that a pretty cool thing would be to have a very discreetly hidden control panel for the alarm that was the 'genuine' one, and an obvious, exposed panel in a more 'normal' position.
    This second panel would also control the alarm, but would be a 'panic button' in its own right, sending the 'panic' signal if it is used at all.

On fixing safes to walls, if you have access to the other side of the wall (and permission from the Commander in Chief), it's a good idea to run bolts the whole way through, ideally welding them to steel straps to form big u-bolts that bind the safe to a big chunk of concrete.
    The absolute ideal, of course, is to integrate the safe into the structure during the building of the house.

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    The few firearms dealers I know well enough to discuss their security with them tell me that they all have a radio link with the monitoring station, to avoid the possibility of the criminals disconnecting the alarm by cutting the phone lines.

Wireless alarms are the best option as opposed to the hard wired ones.
    That, combined with discreet panic buttons and duress codes on the alarm panel should provide instant notification of the cavalry even under a hostage situation, provided of course, the unfortunate individual has their wits about them to activate these things.

Is there duress codes out there that would still deactivate the alarm and notify the monitoring company?
    I've often thought that a pretty cool thing would be to have a very discreetly hidden control panel for the alarm that was the 'genuine' one, and an obvious, exposed panel in a more 'normal' position.
    This second panel would also control the alarm, but would be a 'panic button' in its own right, sending the 'panic' signal if it is used at all.

+ 1 to that

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Rovi another idea is to have a second code that will open the safe and activate the panic alarm at the same time. When one is being forced to deactivate your alarm simply input your panic security code, safe opens and Garda are on the way.

Sikamick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TheNog wrote: »
    Is there duress codes out there that would still deactivate the alarm and notify the monitoring company?

Thats exactly what a duress code does. Alam appears to deativate as normal but the monitoring company are alerted and know that that the person has been forced to deactivate the alarm. A raider is none the wiser. The real question is what happens next...

I like the GPS tracking device on the car, but something in my gunsafe that sprays me in the face with CS gas if triggered? I dunno grizzly, I don't see why I would trust something like that to not go off accidentally when I won't trust the safety catch on the rifles in the safe...

It's more designed for a gun room than a safe Sparks.It's built into an alarm panel with PIR and key deactivation. Again,it is an active alarm that is designed to prevent theft or burgalry when you are not present.
    True a house full of CS isnt very pleasent,but it is easier to deal with by opening windows and plenty of water orremove the irritant from your eyes.Than a lifelong trauma of being held at gunpoint and maybe not knowing wether youwill live even after giving the scumbags everything they want.
    Our big trouble here folks is REACTION and RESPONSE time.
    Even if the alarm goes off in the house/shop.Our Gardai are still unarmed and now know that firearms have been nicked.This is now a job for the armed boys,lucky if there is an ERU or Branch unit in the area.
    But how long will it take to get the local armed unit together, if they have just finished up for the day kitted up and out to the scene and all without knowing are they going to run into the criminals coming their way or waiting for them?Put it like this;as an unarmed Garda would YOU be in a rush to respond to such an alarm?? I wouldn't blame them if they were in no rush with the risks involved.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

The best options are for dealers are to keep things quite. Iam sure media coverage has made things worst.

I can just imagine the crooks "Hand guns boy, Jesus I'd love one of those things. Lets go and get one, I heard so and so had one he was blabing on about it."

So covert instead of overt is the best way to do things.

I also think tracking devices should be placed in a few items in a dealers shop that way it leads you back to the group and the cache.

It would be a great deterent. There would be no way a group could find it and remove it before they were caught. One would have to design a Fully containerised covert gun safe rf alarm when it went off or a report was triggered by other means the clock would be ticking for them when they could'nt find the tracking device(s) a special force will engage the target at the coordinates transmitted by the minature gps tracker and transmitter encased in bullets or encased in gun stocks. They would have to destroy the equipment to find these transmitters.

True a house full of CS isnt very pleasent,but it is easier to deal with by opening windows and plenty of water orremove the irritant from your eyes.Than a lifelong trauma of being held at gunpoint and maybe not knowing wether youwill live even after giving the scumbags everything they want.
    See, I have two problems with that: (1) CS gas is sortof like pepper spray and tasers - they're less-than-lethal, as opposed to non-lethal. And the demographic most at risk from them (the older, more overweight folks) is pretty much the demographic that'd be most likely to be installing this :D
    And (2) if there's someone robbing you with a shotgun, and you spray CS gas at them without warning, they're likely to at least flinch - which wouldn't be something I'd welcome in someone whose finger was on the trigger of the shotgun pointed in my general direction.
    Exactly. We've got a responsibility to securely store our firearms and to exercise due care to prevent accidents - we are under absolutely no obligation to somehow resist an attempt at armed robbery. Let the Gardai sort that one out.
    Even if the alarm goes off in the house/shop.Our Gardai are still unarmed
    See, this is the kind of eventuality they had in mind when they got almost two thirds of the force qualified to sign out a sidearm from the station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

TheNog wrote:
    Sikamick wrote:
    Rovi another idea is to have a second code that will open the safe and activate the panic alarm at the same time. When one is being forced to deactivate your alarm simply input your panic security code, safe opens and Garda are on the way.
    As Rew has already said, that's exactly what I meant by a duress code: a different code that deactivates the alarm, but also sends the panic signal.

My issue with these though is, will the unfortunate firearm owner/dealer have the presence of mind to actually use it?

Suppose the alarm code you use every day (perhaps several times a day) is 1234, and the duress code (which you never use) is 4321.
    Now, it's 4 in the morning, you're in your pyjamas and possibly even still in bed, all you can see is a blinding torch and the muzzles of a sawn-off double barrel, you can hear your loved ones crying somewhere in the background, and there's a scumbag shouting at you for the alarm code.
    Which number are you going to blurt out?

That's why I like my 'genuine' alarm panel/'panic button' alarm panel idea; there's no duress code to remember, the panel itself is the panic signal.

I also think tracking devices should be placed in a few items in a dealers shop that way it leads you back to the group and the cache.

It would be a great deterent. There would be no way a group could find it and remove it before they were caught. One would have to design a Fully containerised covert gun safe rf alarm when it went off or a report was triggered by other means the clock would be ticking for them when they could'nt find the tracking device(s) a special force will engage the target at the coordinates transmitted by the minature gps tracker and transmitter encased in bullets or encased in gun stocks. They would have to destroy the equipment to find these transmitters.
    We're getting into "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" territory here, I think. :D

Commercially available GPS/GSM trackers are approximately the size of a couple of 50 boxes of .22 ammunition, we're a long way away from miniaturised stuff that would fit into individual cartridges, even 12g ones.
    I don't doubt the technology probably already exists, it's just not available to us lowly civilians.

A tracker in the car is an excellent idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Even if the alarm goes off in the house/shop ...lucky if there is an ERU or Branch unit in the area.

The newspaper said it took a long time for someone to get free and raise the alarm so the issue apparently wasn't response time. But let's say you activate a duress code or otherwise secretly activate a silent alarm. Would you really count yourself and your family lucky to have an armed gang of robbers in your house and an armed response team from the Gardaí outside? What happens next ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

As Rew has already said, that's exactly what I meant by a duress code: a different code that deactivates the alarm, but also sends the panic signal.

My issue with these though is, will the unfortunate firearm owner/dealer have the presence of mind to actually use it?

Suppose the alarm code you use every day (perhaps several times a day) is 1234, and the duress code (which you never use) is 4321.
    Now, it's 4 in the morning, you're in your pyjamas and possibly even still in bed, all you can see is a blinding torch and the muzzles of a sawn-off double barrel, you can hear your loved ones crying somewhere in the background, and there's a scumbag shouting at you for the alarm code.
    Which number are you going to blurt out?

That's why I like my 'genuine' alarm panel/'panic button' alarm panel idea; there's no duress code to remember, the panel itself is the panic signal.

We're getting into "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" territory here, I think. :D

Commercially available GPS/GSM trackers are approximately the size of a couple of 50 boxes of .22 ammunition, we're a long way away from miniaturised stuff that would fit into individual cartridges, even 12g ones.
    I don't doubt the technology probably already exists, it's just not available to us lowly civilians.

A tracker in the car is an excellent idea though.

Here is a simple one for you: Personal experience, I was in a gun shop in Derry NI (of course) about 5 years ago, I got chatting to the owner, he was showing me some of the smaller stock and the conversation went on to 17:05, a knock on the door, 2 x PSNI squads with 10 officers, wanting to know why the alarm was not on at 17:00, no snags when they determined I was not robbing the shop.

Why in Gods name was there not a call to the Gardai when the chap deactivated his alarm at 01:00 in the morning? Also the alarm remained off!!!!!!!!!!! Doo,,,,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

Why in Gods name was there not a call to the Gardai when the chap deactivated his alarm at 01:00 in the morning? Also the alarm remained off!!!!!!!!!!! Doo,,,,,,,,,
    Because the alarm was not programmed to alert the monitoring station that it should not be disarmed at 01:00am.

This is the point that the Nog has been trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

See, I have two problems with that: (1) CS gas is sortof like pepper spray and tasers - they're less-than-lethal, as opposed to non-lethal. And the demographic most at risk from them (the older, more overweight folks) is pretty much the demographic that'd be most likely to be installing this :D

There is no such thing as Non leathl items out there.As many LEO have found out.The only way I can see you being killed by CS is being locked in an airtight room and the air pumped out and being replaced by CS gas.
    This thing doesnt squirt CS,it virtually detonates a CS grenade.Picture a medium sizes aerosol can going full tilt until it is empty.As I said this isnt a device to use when Gussie Scumbag is standing right behind you with his shotgun.[Best thing to there is address him as Sir and take him anywhere he wants to go].It is more designed if Gussie and Co are visiting in your absence and this is to encourage them to leave the building by the most expedient and quickest route.

.See, this is the kind of eventuality they had in mind when they got almost two thirds of the force qualified to sign out a sidearm from the station...
    Now,this is the kicker.From what I have gleaned in info on this you qualify with the Gardai on the firearms course.You get the firearms qualification rating[henceforth we will call this the Ticket].Now,there are only so many actual Tickets out there with a quota per district.So,say if you are a qualified Garda based in a sub district and you have a Ticket and a qualification,you have to surrender the actual Ticket to another member in the district who might need to be called to an armed situation.You now are unqualified to use a firearm and must redo the Garda firearms course ..:eek:
    So tough if all the lads and lasses who are uniform are off that night that you or the dealership is hit.
    Plus I doubt it is as easy as the station Desk Sgt or whoever is in charge on a day to day basis,hitting the radio and calling in anyone with the Ticket to get down to the armoury to be issued with a side arm,and pile off to Murphy's gunstore as there is a raid in progress. Proably a Super or higher would have to authorise uniform carrying sidearms,and would want a seriously good reason to do so methinks.

Anyways,folks,anyone intrested in the GPS trackers,do please PM me,and I can advise further.

Rew wrote: »
    Thats exactly what a duress code does. Alam appears to deativate as normal but the monitoring company are alerted and know that that the person has been forced to deactivate the alarm. A raider is none the wiser. The real question is what happens next...

Dealer lets them get the guns and get out of the shop and off they go. Hopefully Gardai would arrive then or there abouts.
    Even if the alarm goes off in the house/shop.Our Gardai are still unarmed and now know that firearms have been nicked.This is now a job for the armed boys,lucky if there is an ERU or Branch unit in the area.
    But how long will it take to get the local armed unit together, if they have just finished up for the day kitted up and out to the scene and all without knowing are they going to run into the criminals coming their way or waiting for them?Put it like this;as an unarmed Garda would YOU be in a rush to respond to such an alarm?? I wouldn't blame them if they were in no rush with the risks involved.
    [/QUOTE]

I think we can savely say the majority gun dealers premises are in towns so with a big town comes a big garda station. Chances are there could be at least 2 patrol cars responding to the alarm.

Late at night in most parts of the country there would be no armed cover. This will change somewhat with the RSUs coming online however chances are unarmed Gardai would be first on scene. First and foremost is the safety of the Gardai and any hostages so it would probably be better to let them leave in a vehicle and follow them until armed response arrives.

See, this is the kind of eventuality they had in mind when they got almost two thirds of the force qualified to sign out a sidearm from the station...

2/3s?? are you sure? never heard that statistic before
    BornToKill wrote: »
    The newspaper said it took a long time for someone to get free and raise the alarm so the issue apparently wasn't response time. But let's say you activate a duress code or otherwise secretly activate a silent alarm. Would you really count yourself and your family lucky to have an armed gang of robbers in your house and an armed response team from the Gardaí outside? What happens next ...

Wouldnt be the best situation but I suppose a containment of the house until the ERU arrive. They are trained in entry techniques.

This is only my own opinion so bearing in my mind I have absolutely no training or experience in anything like this situation.
    BornToKill wrote: »

Theft during day time business. Yeah now thats a problem I cant get around.

/edit - what about the strong room being alarmed (with duress code) for the scrotes who come in without a disguise and pretending to be interested in a purchase? Not forgetting of course an excellent CCTV system in the shop. Some of the CCTV I have seenin shops/petrol stations is atocious

and

a double door entry system like they have in some banks with an alarm or bell that is activated when someone enters through the first set of doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

You know what I think. Its up to individuals to come up with your own solution or plan that way its a lot more unpredictible. Non lethal boobie traps etc are all good Ideas, so is tracking gps in gun stocks etc. video camera connected to internet recorded online etc. Covert silent alarms. all good ideas

I think this group must be fairly small fry if they have to rob guns maybe they don't have connections with the drug crowd.

I think its not what we do its probally more to do with setting up a sting and catching them.

However the most effective thing would be an offical statement that when armed people come into your house and point guns at you. your allowed to point one back.

You know they (the crooks) must be laughing at us. It would be a deterent against all house invasion crimes and it should happen (think about how many houses have guns....a lot !!!) . Our intelligence of these people is not good enough or probally never will be good enough to catch them.

I think the media coverage has stirred up a lot of trouble.....what is it murphys law

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

TheNog wrote: »

That's probably a problem you have to solve either before or after it happens and not by preventing the specific act. Either you get a tip-off and have a welcoming party at the shop or you catch the criminals in the follow-up investigation. Both of those solutions would probably be longer-term efforts requiring Garda time that is probably going to get scarcer.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

However the most effective thing would be an offical statement that when armed people come into your house and point guns at you. your allowed to point one back.

And that particular discussion is against the charter. Take it elsewhere please.

IRLConor wrote: »
    That's probably a problem you have to solve either before or after it happens and not by preventing the specific act. Either you get a tip-off and have a welcoming party at the shop or you catch the criminals in the follow-up investigation.

Intelligence led policing is a key part to successful operations but in some cases you are relying on someone in the know giving a Garda that information. So while intelligence is good to solve or prevent some cases of thefts, it will certainly not be available for the majority of cases.

As for after event investigation or slow time investigation, unfotunately criminals are very good at not leaving none ir very little clues behind them They are like most people, they are good at their job. They can be very organised and excellent planners to get backround information on key people, surveillance techniques, testing Garda response time etc. In my book they are not small fry, they are anything but.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Both of those solutions would probably be longer-term efforts requiring Garda time that is probably going to get scarcer.

Time has already gotten scarcer :(

I think we can savely say the majority gun dealers premises are in towns so with a big town comes a big garda station. Chances are there could be at least 2 patrol cars responding to the alarm.
    Ummm..true to a certain point.But then it could come down to in whose "patch" the crime is happening in.Just for an example a friend of mine was knocked down a few years ago by a hit and run.This happened no more than 2 mins walking from the district HQ.We waited at the scene over 30 mins because it wasnt in that district HQ area of responsibility! This was in a big city of Ireland and because of the boundary lines the district handling it was 20 mins away.:(.Hopefully in a robbery situation this would get an all units response from wherever,but you never know..
    Nor are a lot of gun dealers in big cities around anymore in city centres.
    Name me one within Dublin city within two miles of O Connell St.There used to be three,now there are none.Ditto for Limerick where I live.
    The nearest to me is appx 20 miles from me in small rural towns.

Late at night in most parts of the country there would be no armed cover. This will change somewhat with the RSUs coming online however chances are unarmed Gardai would be first on scene. First and foremost is the safety of the Gardai and any hostages so it would probably be better to let them leave in a vehicle and follow them until armed response arrives.
    Indeed,and that IMO would/is the most sensible and hopefuly they take along a tracker in some form with them.The RSU are still more tasked to cities rather than driving around rural areas.
    Wouldnt be the best situation but I suppose a containment of the house until the ERU arrive. They are trained in entry techniques.

Last and final option in a situation like that.Contain the situation,establish contact with the hostage takers,negotiate as long as needed to get hostages out of harms way,ONLY where there is direct life threat to the hostages would any commander order a dynamic entry.

/edit - what about the strong room being alarmed (with duress code) for the scrotes who come in without a disguise and pretending to be interested in a purchase? Not forgetting of course an excellent CCTV system in the shop. Some of the CCTV I have seenin shops/petrol stations is atocious

and

a double door entry system like they have in some banks with an alarm or bell that is activated when someone enters through the first set of doors.
    [/QUOTE]

You know,this is the thing I cant understand here.You go to Germany or France or the US and all the firearms are out on display racks [bar the handguns]where you can pick up ,test for fit,swing and touch to your hearts content,without the mental worry that every punter is going to nick the whole shop.Nor does anyone escort you around the shop or into a strong room.Walking into the shop isnt any more difficult than opening the shop door.Now,Germany had the Baader Meinhoff and Red Army Faction,and still has a strong criminal problem .
    Italy has the Red brigades,mafiasos,and other undesireables as well
    However it seems that a bunch of CCTV,panic buttons and timelocked strong room door is good enough security.
    For the gunowner in Germany, it depends on how many guns you have that dictates your class of gun safe.1to 4 guns safes we have here are good enough.Anything above 8 ,you are looking at real safes with combo locks that weigh appx a1/4 ton are,fireproof and will survive 2hours of drilling,burning etc.Alarms are optional and recommended,but not a pre requsite.Yet funnily enough you dont have many reports of hunters or gun owners being robbed .
    So we should maybe look to the EU as to what is the difference in their security procedures in their gunshops.As I have never had anywhere the "fortress experiance" in Europe except Ireland.

There is also a covert surveilance system that works on 3Gtechnology [if you have it in your area] that would allow the Gardai/gun owner to dial in to a 3G covert camera bug and see in real time if there is an actual robbery going on and access the situation for appropiate actions.Again relatively cheap and covertly installable.

Ummm..true to a certain point.But then it could come down to in whose "patch" the crime is happening in.Just for an example a friend of mine was knocked down a few years ago by a hit and run.This happened no more than 2 mins walking from the district HQ.We waited at the scene over 30 mins because it wasnt in that district HQ area of responsibility! This was in a big city of Ireland and because of the boundary lines the district handling it was 20 mins away.:(.Hopefully in a robbery situation this would get an all units response from wherever,but you never know..

I have seen this happen with minor incidents. Any major incidents though would result in all cars in the vicinty, whether inside or outside of the district, responding to the call.
    The RSU are still more tasked to cities rather than driving around rural areas.

The RSUs will be not just tasked within cities. True members trained so far are based in Limerick and I think Dublin too but some will also be based down the country.

There is also a covert surveilance system that works on 3Gtechnology [if you have it in your area] that would allow the Gardai/gun owner to dial in to a 3G covert camera bug and see in real time if there is an actual robbery going on and access the situation for appropiate actions.Again relatively cheap and covertly installable.

Have seen a couple of them. Class act.

• Advertisement

You know,this is the thing I cant understand here.You go to Germany or France or the US and all the firearms are out on display racks [bar the handguns]where you can pick up ,test for fit,swing and touch to your hearts content,without the mental worry that every punter is going to nick the whole shop.Nor does anyone escort you around the shop or into a strong room.Walking into the shop isnt any more difficult than opening the shop door.
    Yes, but you're not comparing like with like. Our police compared to German or French police don't come off well and our national attitude towards rules is the opposite of what you find in most places on the continent.
    Sounds great - but you can count on the fingers of one hand how many garda stations even have email, let alone being able to access a system like that. Our Gardai are woefully under-funded and we're talking about freezing or cutting their pay and budget, don't forget.

Advertisement