Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abuse of Jason Newsted

• 21-01-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

This topic has been covered before, but seeing as Newsted hasn't made any public apperances in the last several years (due I believe to a sholder injury sustained during tour rehersals) then I'd like to look at it again, especially with Metallica looking to accept their lifetime achievement Rock N Roll Hame of Fame thing in April...and a journalist questioning James about Jason recently and the possible attendance.

One could question the fact that Newsted was given an amaing oppurtunity and so therefore should have just shut up and taken it...but even looking at the "Year and A Half In the Life Of..." Documentary (and if you haven't seen this I suggest you track it down and watch it) you cannot help but feel for Newstead during some of the writing and post gig celebrations. Both he, and to a certain extent Kirk, seem to be shoved to one side - it seems that Metallica is, and always has been, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich

Newsted will be officially inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame alongside Metallica and as he was always my favourite band member of the group its just so difficult to see him be rather forgotten. A young fan of Metallica the other day, my cousin, actually asked me who Jason Newsted was when he saw him on my T Shirt and asked why he wasnt on his!lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Newsted has been a part of two excellent Voivod albums, with a third on the way. I don't think anyone with an interest in quality Metal has forgotten him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It may have been an amzing opportunity, and I'm sure that's what he thought when he was given said opportunity.

But how many years of that **** could you tolerate before your soul is completely and utterly crushed?
    Fair play to him for going out and doing his own thing....and doing so damn well I might ad.

He is better off without Metallica, though Metallica are not better off without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

he prob did more technical stuff in the bass clip there than all his time combined in Metallica...

I dunno if Metallica are worse off without him. you could say the same about burton. Rob Truj. is a great bass player, different to newsted in that he used his fingers, different style, but a great player...

Newsted's vocals/backing vocals were attrocious I thought, just hoarse screaming rather than singing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Trujillo ads nothing to the band imo, regardless of whatever talent he may or may not have.

Atleast I am confident in saying that Newstead is a great player/writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I always though Newsteads backing vocals were brilliant ! Who cares about singing ? During his time in Metallica it was all growls and harsh vocals by james, none of this high pitched singing that's banging around today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

seachto7 wrote: »

Newsted's vocals/backing vocals were attrocious I thought, just hoarse screaming rather than singing..

disagree.

he was great, especially when he got a chance to sing lead live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Pyr0 wrote: »
    During his time in Metallica it was all growls and harsh vocals by james, none of this high pitched singing that's banging around today.

I enjoyed that, there is a bootleg that you can get called "Where the ****'s James" from around 2000/01, when Hetfield missed one gig due to an infection or something. Anyway the band announced a free substitute, free, concert and then decided to stay around and play their set regardless...with Jason singing a lot of the vocals that night...and the bootleg sounds pretty wicked! Its kinda a little thing people don't really know cause its not been really highlighted in the career of Metallica

The following clip isn't from that show, but does show Jason singing vocals on a Metallica track around that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Newsted sounds very lemmy there, or is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

GAAman wrote: »
    Newsted sounds very lemmy there, or is it just me?

ha ha - you got in just before me!
    completely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

judas101 wrote: »
    disagree.

he was great, especially when he got a chance to sing lead live.

I'll agree to disagree
    I always cringed when he sang seek and destroy live, and when Lars used to start a song with just the kick drum to try and get the crowd going, and Newsted would just start roaring "oi oi oi" into the mic, it drove me mad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I remember when he joined the band we called him jason newkid and I think some of the other fans might have sidelined him also in the early days.. not intentionally though. it was just that he was different.. he had a good chance alright.. flotsam and jetsam were barely on the thrash scene so it was a good move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Jason sings Whiplash on either the CD or DVD Live ****; Binge And Purge. I think his is voice is good on that song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jason is the reason why i cant listen to any Metallica album... I have to listen to the live versions as they are improved ten fold with him singing. He's a legend how should of gotten better treatment i mean fup sake he wrote Blackened nuff said why couldnt they get him to write before they all Ronnie and 2x4 on us =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the reasons why newstead was treated the way he did were covered in depth in some kind of monster. and it is both ironic (and sad to me) that metallica is now the band (not musically) he wanted it to be, and his leaving was the catalyst....i'm paraphrasing lars, but i agree with him.

it'd be great if he rejoined, but the others would never have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Trust me, you won't see Newstead at the HOF. They couldn't get all four members of Van Halen together for their induction, If anything, it'll be Hetfield, Hammett and Ulrich, with maybe a Burton family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would say that Jason would have no interest in rejoining Metallica even for a pint!

Frankly Trujillo is a better technical player and those who say he brings nothing to the band are clueless. He's a brilliant bassist, just a different style to Newsted.

BUT what Metallica have suffered BADLY from since his departure is lack of a backing vocalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

out of curiosity, does rob have any writing credits on the new album?

out of curiosity, does rob have any writing credits on the new album?

According to wikipedia, he's credited on the writing of the five singles that were released from it. One naturally assumes he had a hand with the rest of the album.

That's probably more than Newsted has ever been credited for writing in his stay with the band, i dunno if i should laugh or shake my head at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    According to wikipedia, he's credited on the writing of the five singles that were released from it. One naturally assumes he had a hand with the rest of the album.

That's probably more than Newsted has ever been credited for writing in his stay with the band, i dunno if i should laugh or shake my head at this stage.

according to a documentary i saw on bbc a while ago, hetfield actually said exactly that.....rob had more input and wrote more songs on this album than jason did in the years he was with 'tallica......altho thats priobably down to the fact that they didnt let him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

If I was him I wouldnt show either. He would just look like a substitute bass player..

Feel sorry for him though and its not fair with James saying that Rob has had more input than Jason ever didnt if they didnt let him have any input.

He was obviously so frustrated with not having any input that he jumped ship..

Frankly Trujillo is a better technical player and those who say he brings nothing to the band are clueless. He's a brilliant bassist, just a different style to Newsted.
    I disagree. Very different styles, but Newsted is no technical slouch, I think each is capable of things the other would struggle with. He was never allowed spread his wings in Metallica (like Trujillo tbh). If you judje Trujillo on purely what he has done with Metallica he's not too impressive at all... my thoughts go back to him butchering Orion live, for example. Listen to the first Flotsam and Jetsam album to get an idea of how good Newsted could have been. If they ever put out a proper mix of AJFA people will finally get to see how good he really was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Echobrain is the future, Metallica is the past

according to a documentary i saw on bbc a while ago, hetfield actually said exactly that.....rob had more input and wrote more songs on this album than jason did in the years he was with 'tallica......altho thats priobably down to the fact that they didnt let him!

Newsted spoke in a documentary made around 2001 about his main contribution to the Black album - My Friend of Misery - and how he expected this to be the bands traditional Instrumental track (in keeping with the 4 previous albums). He then plays the song the way he wrote it, quite different to the final product, and says Metallica decided not to keep it as an instrumental, added words, changed it a little and instead he just got a writing credit as opposed to the finished song he had presented.

He talks about being given a tape like every other member of Tallica and being told to record his demos and you just think....how many songs did he actually have an early hand in, only for the work to be changed so much that now it barely represents what he helped create but still retains Ulrich and Hetfields name all the time

Im thinking the same thing happened on the Blackening, except with that the album was more or less completed in the early stages when Newsted joined, and he just got the chance to add his name to a late bloomer.

Newsted joined in 1986 prior to the completion of the Master Of Puppets tour. AJFA wasn't released until almost two years after he joined, Garage Days Re-Revisited was also recorded and released in that time. He was there from the beginning of the writing period. Shortly after he joined, Lars phoned Metallimanagement giving out about Newsted and wanting him out, he was told the choice had been made and he had to live with it. There's your hint why Newsted was mixed out of it ;)

When you consider that he wrote most of the first Flotsam & Jetsam album, the material he wrote before he left made up a lot of the second Flots album, plus his full credits on the Echobrain and Voivod albums, as well as the IR8 and a writing and playing credit on a Sepultura album, it's clear to see that he's a creative fella, he was just pushed out of the Metallipicture.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Shortly after he joined, Lars phoned Metallimanagement giving out about Newsted and wanting him out, he was told the choice had been made and he had to live with it. There's your hint why Newsted was mixed out of it ;)

it's clear to see that he's a creative fella, he was just pushed out of the Metallipicture.

I could well believe all of this, which poses the life long question.
    If he was treated so badly from the get go, why did he stay there for fifteen years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

For the Metallicash ;)

bigbadcon wrote: »
    For the Metallicash ;)

At a David Lee Roth concert in Vicar St back in April...em 05 I think...maybe 04, I met a guy from the band Sweet Savage (his new band Red Rooster were supporting Roth that night) and he told me that he had been invitied backstage at the Metallica gig in the Point 99 because, of course, the band had recently released their own version of Killing Time on Garage Inc and Eric Bell would join them onstage that night too

Anyway, this guy goes into the backstage area of the concert, and is introduced to James, Lars and Kirk....who completely shun him as an absolute loser - he said they shook his hand without even looking at his face - and then Jason comes in, gives him a big hug, and tells him that he loves the original version of his bands song

THATS why Jason stayed, because in truth, anyone who had any contact with the band will tell you that Jason was the only one worth speaking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Yeah R.T. has no bass talent whatsoever :rolleyes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FOfSQFQCDc

• Advertisement

Id well believe this. Wasn't there a scene in Some Kind of Monster in which Lars finds out Jason is considering re joining the band and he gets extremely upset about it and takes the "you made your bed now lie in it" approach

Advertisement