Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abuse of Jason Newsted

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

That's what is written in Joel McIver's book, I've yet to read of anyone saying it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Doctor J wrote: »
    That's what is written in Joel McIver's book, I've yet to read of anyone saying it didn't happen.

Justice For All; The Truth About Metallica...prob the best Metallica book I have ever read

Funny clip there about Jason and his level headedness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I met James and Lars in Dublin 92. to be honest Ulrich signed an autograph and said nothing to me ( I met him on he street - with no one around) but that's rock n roll. James was a little more sociable and at least spoke to me.
    I walked away starstruck but a little disappointed in my heroes. Compared to Max Cavalera and Paulo who brought about 20 of us into the SFX for the soundcheck and gave us beer from the tourbus. Andreas Kisser asked me what I thought of the sound!?

buck65 wrote: »
    I met James and Lars in Dublin 92. to be honest Ulrich signed an autograph and said nothing to me but that's rock n roll. James was a little more sociable and at least spoke to me.

If only we had a time machine would we have told them to pack it in around 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And there I was thinking you were on crack for the Pantera post.
    I hereby retract my statement, although personally I'd have told em to pack it in around 91 once i heard that god awful album!

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    And there I was thinking you were on crack for the Pantera post.
    I hereby retract my statement, although personally I'd have told em to pack it in around 91 once i heard that god awful album!

I agree with ya, but I do actually like the Live in Mexico album, if that counts...considering that despite it being a well oiled machine of touring its still a pretty decent setlist (they even play Through The Never!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Then we would never have had Death Magnetic.

Clearly they went through an 'iffy' period but it seems like all bands go through one of these, and Metallica seem to be out of it now so keep bringing us good albums I say.
    scubagit wrote:
    Yeah R.T. has no bass talent whatsoever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FOfSQFQCDc
    No-one said he didn't have talent, I just don't think he ads anything to the band. Sure he can throw out some awesome solos, but I didn't hear one bass solo on Death Magnetic.

I agree with ya, but I do actually like the Live in Mexico album, if that counts...considering that despite it being a well oiled machine of touring its still a pretty decent setlist (they even play Through The Never!)

That's the 2 disc album that came with Livesh*t Binge & Purge isn't it? That's actually a solid set. I nearly put on the Live DVD from San Diego earlier when i gave up in frustration looking for Some Kind Of Monster. I might still watch it a little later on. A solid box set btw, for those who don't have it, it's worth getting.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    That's the album that came with Livesh*t Binge & Purge isn't it? That's actually a solid set.

That's the one, recorded over 5 nights in Mexico City, 3 discs of killer tunes

Which makes me think that this years 5 night stint in Denmark is going to make it onto a future live CD release...would be a shame for them to waste the oppurtunity really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

On topic, I think Newsted was amazing, he certainly gave that fan connection to Metallica...which you don't really get with Rob, who just seems to be a helping hand at this point, and its nice he's a member of the band but its like being Ozzy's bassist....its just really a session gig for him more than anything else.

They, that being Metallica, have said Rob has already written and contributed more material then Jason ever did in his whole time in the band but thats most likely because Jason was either intimidated by James Hetfield, who I believe hazed him the worst, and they also rejected his ideas....picking the ones they did pick because they knew it would look bad if he didn't have something on the album

Jason was Metallica's biggest fan, you can imagine he just didn't think of himself as a member of the band, he prob always taught of himself as a fan and when they knocked back his material he accepted this and said "thats ok its not good enough cause these guys wrote Master of Puppets and they know whats good"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That's the one, recorded over 5 nights in Mexico City, 3 discs of killer tunes

pity about the 18 minute version of seek and destroy:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Doctor J wrote: »

Good book that... Where'd you get your hands on a copy? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, must give it back to you, thanks for reminding me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

ha ha. No panic...

With regards my opinion on the Newsted thing he really did get a tough time and gets no respect for his talents. The guy was a monster on bass and was picked for that very reason. Reading that Ulrich wanted him out was a suprise in that book but I can only assume that it was based on personality since technically he was a great contributor on both new and old stuff, staying loyal to Cliffs stuff while putting his own stamp on it.

It's a shame that he'll forever be remembered as the guy that never fit in fully because when listening to his work on the Black album and knowing what his other work is like he is extremely underrated as a musician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

buck65 wrote: »
    I walked away starstruck but a little disappointed in my heroes. Compared to Max Cavalera and Paulo who brought about 20 of us into the SFX for the soundcheck and gave us beer from the tourbus. Andreas Kisser asked me what I thought of the sound!?

Megadeth did that with me and my friends. Just saying :P

We didn't get beer though, but Mustaine letting you into the soundcheck is pretty awesome none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

GAAman wrote: »
    Newsted sounds very lemmy there, or is it just me?

Nah, he growls a lot too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Regarding metallica and their bass player rob trujillio, he is only a hired musician within the band, nothing more, jason newstead was certainly a great bass player but such was their trust in his abilities when they first hired him they completely turned down his bass playing on the justice for all album. What would make metallica great again is to bring back dave mustaine as a second guitar player. a genius on the six string, so much so that when slayer where starting out they used to go to see metallica just to see mustaine play guitar.

calerbass wrote: »
    Regarding metallica and their bass player rob trujillio, he is only a hired musician within the band, nothing more, jason newstead was certainly a great bass player but such was their trust in his abilities when they first hired him they completely turned down his bass playing on the justice for all album. What would make metallica great again is to bring back dave mustaine as a second guitar player. a genius on the six string, so much so that when slayer where starting out they used to go to see metallica just to see mustaine play guitar.

I laughed anyway! :)

Advertisement