Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiformat games comparison

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been out of touch with gaming for a couple of years. I stopped buying games and I stopped buying edge magazine I also stopped Reading game central on teletext.

So I went abit wild recently and I bought a 360 then I got a ps3, so what I want to know is are all the multiformat games better on the 360 than ps3? Does it really matter that much ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi, I've been out of touch with gaming for a couple of years. I stopped buying games and I stopped buying edge magazine I also stopped Reading game central on teletext.

So I went abit wild recently and I bought a 360 then I got a ps3, so what I want to know is are all the multiformat games better on the 360 than ps3? Does it really matter that much ?

The differences between each version is minimal and the trend towards which is version is better swings from console to console, depending on the game.

When deciding between which version to get, ask yourself:
    1. which version your friends have? (better multiplayer games)
    2. which version has exclusive DLC? (similar to the 360 GTA4)
    3. does the game have an online mode? (360 - pay a subscription / PS3 - Free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

eurogamer had a comparison thingy..not sure if it's still running.

how certain games ran on each console etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Cheers you made some good points there that I hadn't thought of. Price comes into it aswell. All the games I've bought so far have been pre-owned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems that for multiplatform games the games usually perform better on the 360 so far. However it's not that cut and paste. The 360 does a better job at upscaling and has Anti Aliasing while the PS3 usually ends up looking blurry due to it's inferior upscaler. The PS3 however does better shadows and some better effects if the programmers have the talent to utilise it properly.

This will probably change once the development teams get the hang of the tricky PS3 and we will see more games on par with the 360 version or bettering it.

Even still, unless you play the games side by side and are being very nit picky there is very little difference in both versions of the games in most cases and in cases were the PS3 version is just awful, well the game usually is from a crap dev team and not worth playing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Latest Gamespot comparison of 360 vs PS3
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6201700/index.html

I tend to buy multiformat games for the 360
    - better online experience (bigger community, DLC)
    - prefer 360 controller
    - 360 games tend to be easier to find at a lower price than same title on PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Id recommend Games TM , and back to gamecentral on teletext 690 also www.destructoid.com and second the poster aboves link to gamespot....

Welcome back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And Eurogamers who seem to do a much more scientific comparison compared to gamespot
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article

There's a link to all the previous comparisons somewhere there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Use which joypad you prefer, the technical diffferences are minimal 99% of the time, and any comparisons you read are always exagerated because they're done by putting the two systems next to eachother and picking out miniscule differences you wouldn't notice in reality.

In general, I find the 360 pad is better for FPS games or Third Person Shooters where you've got your twin sticks and your triggers to fire. The PS3 is better for anything else - where you use the d-pad or you use the face buttons extensively or you're constantly holding the triggers down in a driving game.

Advertisement