Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No-alcohol dances for teenagers in Dublin city?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any? My teen is getting v independent, and while he's busy with a few different activities, he'd love to go to a dance. Anyone know of any that are organised specifically for teenagers?

Is Wesley as bad as its reputation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Is Wesley as bad as its reputation?

its not bad, its just highly promiscuous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

its not bad, its just highly promiscuous

:D

From my point of view, that's BAD!! That is the reputation....is it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

What age is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it was when i went and that was 9 years ago, im sure its been cleaned up since

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The Wez is a bad, bad place, don't let your child go there.

tbh, The days of the disco have kind of passed. There's teenage kicks, but I have no idea what it's like and it's a bit outside the city :
    http://www.leisureplex.ie/product.php?page=teenagekicks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Havent been there in a few years but wesley at that time anyway (2 years ago max) was fairly bad - if you want no alcohol I wouldn't let him go..

Spin, was last there about 5 years ago, God it seems like only yesterday! Was grand at the time, it was just new - don't remember there being any alcohol (I would have only been in 1st year) but I'd say things could have def. changed by now. I think more 2nd years go there now.

Apart from that theres not much around - though TBH if you're teenager wants a drink, he'l get it - if he doesn't he wont. Wesley isnt as bad as parents think - if your teens fairly sensible its ok. Though he'd probably see alot more than hes seen before, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

lorna100 wrote: »
    though TBH if you're teenager wants a drink, he'l get it - if he doesn't he wont.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What age is he?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bad bad place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Look I'll level with you about wez, I'm 18 so my slightly younger cousin (15 nearly 16) talks to me about that place.
    I've heard tuns of tales of people getting sick everywhere from drinking to much, young ones doing "bold" things to each other in bathroom or where ever they can really.

I won't go into any depth with it, i'll save you from what I've been told.
    I think with me being 18, and being against the thought of letting my (non existent) child go there, it doesn't really say much for the place.

Plus, he'd probably get the p!ss ripped out of him for going there.
    Just not a nice place at all.

I've never been there myself now, so this is all just what I've heard, but id be 90% sure its all true.

What kind of music is he into, in the rock/punk/poppunk/ska/heavymetal.... scene, there are plenty of gigs that do be on pretty much everyweek end.
    I use to go to these, they were always fun, and you didnt get the crap you'd get in the likes of wez.

If all else fails, try a google search for U18 Dances in dublin.
    There's sure to be a few around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

You could try the No Name Club or Club4U. They both organise disco's in an alcohol free environment. Having worked as a volunteer in the No Name Club as a teen, I can tell you that they strictly monitor all people upon entry and call parents if a child has been drinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

SantryRed wrote: »
    What age is he?

15 going on 16

Snoozys, any idea where he'd find out about the NoNameClubs - their site is 'under development' & club4u wasn't very informative either - their site stopped last April :(

thanks all - amn't too worried about the alcohol .......... maybe I should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

any idea where he'd find out about the NoNameClubs

If you try youth.ie or teenspace.ie they have contact details for both clubs and I'm assuming they'd be able to point you to your nearest club. Back when I was involved, they used to canvass 4th yrs in school looking for volunteers.

Hope this is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hehe "dance", that's cute :) Wezz really isn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. You know all those pictures of drunk teens lying on the ground outside the rugby club? Well the reason they're there is because they weren't allowed in cos they were too drunk! It's quite supervised, they even have people who stop traffic and help people cross the road when it's over. I'd let him go to wezz, it's quite fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I'm 19 so I've no idea what its like to be a parent, but heres my view on the situation.

Your kid is going to drink long before he turns 18. It might be an idea to introduce him to alcohol yourself, say have a can with him watching the football or whatever. Explain to him that alcohol is fine in moderation, but too much, especially as a growing man can alter your brain chemistry and mess you up.

Personally I don't think a few cans before a disco would be a problem, as long as he doesn't get beyond tipsy. A little bit of dutch courage is a good thing in my experience, as it allows you to do things you might not have the courage to do otherwise (specifically talking to girls which is good for building up self-confidence). Let him know you'll be extremely disappointed if he breaks your trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I would suggest you hear about the place where he plans on going with his friends and then asking about the reputation of that place. No point in suggesting places to him since you are his father so to him you won't be knowledgable at all on the subject.
    Lol unless you make faux promotional posters for the place you like the sound of and send them around to him and his friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

BrightEyes wrote: »
    make faux promotional posters for the place you like the sound of and send them around to him and his friends!

Fantastic idea. I'll be doing this with my kids:)

15 going on 16

Snoozys, any idea where he'd find out about the NoNameClubs - their site is 'under development' & club4u wasn't very informative either - their site stopped last April :(

thanks all - amn't too worried about the alcohol .......... maybe I should!

He's 15 :O , he's probably drinking already behind your back. Wezz is grand for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 debby_son

WEZ IS GRAND
    hes 15 he more than likely knows more than u think bar code in fairview is a good place but hteres a few skangers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

debby_son wrote: »
    WEZ IS GRAND
    hes 15 he more than likely knows more than u think bar code in fairview is a good place but hteres a few skangers

THAT'S A GREAT POINT.:rolleyes:

Start off using capital letters and then well it lacks in the rest of your post.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

disssco wrote: »
    A little bit of dutch courage is a good thing in my experience, as it allows you to do things you might not have the courage to do otherwise (specifically talking to girls which is good for building up self-confidence). Let him know you'll be extremely disappointed if he breaks your trust.

Hmm maybe not such a good idea, sure he'll have the confidence to talk to girls, but no one likes talking to a drunk guy so he'll probably get knocked back a fair bit if he's approaching girls while drunk and that could harm his self esteem a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Start off using capital letters and then well it lacks in the rest of your post.:confused:

Sometime people dont realise they have caps on but are then too lazy to re-tpe the sentence.
    Piste wrote: »
    Hmm maybe not such a good idea, sure he'll have the confidence to talk to girls, but no one likes talking to a drunk guy so he'll probably get knocked back a fair bit if he's approaching girls while drunk and that could harm his self esteem a lot!

I'd say the majority of fellas are drunk there so I doubt that's a big issue with girls. I drank before wesley at home and I'd definitly let my son do it if I had one.

PC

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

ya i think drink can cause a lot of problems, i think you should ask him about drink and if hes interested,give him one or two cans before the disco when hes 16 to start off, my mam used to do this and i never ended up as uninformed (or sick ;)) as my friends were... I think theres going to be drink at any of the discos for 16 year olds, thats how it is here in the west of ireland so im guessing it would be likewise in Dublin??As for the 'bold' things between boys and girls he almost certainly is in the know at this stage (you should be worried if he isnt:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mcgov

Im 16 and iv been to wezz dozens of times. In the last year or so the bouncers have got a lot stricter and if they even suspect you've had a few cans they bring you inside to a medical room, check you out, take your details and ring your parents. This makes the place a lot more safer so i'd definately let him go. Sort out a lift home though, the end of the night is when the fights start up at abrekabra.

Advertisement