Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME PLEASE !!

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Could somebody please give me a good explaination on how to get the hang of using a double base peddel. i cant seem to use it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What are you trying to do? Triplets are pretty easy to get the hang of if you learned to use your left foot to work the hi-hat. To do the full on 8ths or 16ths, just get a metronome and start slow. It's definitley something you have to work up rather than something you'll magically be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

just wonderen, is it anything to do with leg muscle mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Well you'll need to build up stamina to be able to do it for more than a few seconds, especially 16ths. It's all just practice, there's no other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

play "standard" beats but change your kicking foot, make it as seamless as possible, although you will get a slightly different sound due to the fact your striking a different part of the skin, with a different beater. Or for a while use the opposite foot for kicking standard beats.

I used to do the snare rudiments but with my feet.
    RLRR LRLL
    RRLL RRLL

and so on.

as suggested us a metronome, you'll only fool yourself into thinking you're getting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

cheers lads, ill keep the tips in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Not trying to complicate things here, especially when you're just starting out with the double pedal.
    There are 3 main methods to play, heel up, Heel down, and heel toe.

Heel up is the way most drummers play. As the name says, your heel is up off the footboard. How high your heel is, and your foot location on the footboard is down to what feels comfortable to you. Most of your power and speed will at first come from your upper legs. As you get faster, that moves more to your ankles.

Heel down is playing with your whole foot down on the footboard. The speed and power comes directly from your ankles. Because they aren't

Heel-Toe is here your feet play doubles, usig the ball of your foot to move the footboard, followed by your heel. then the same on the other foot. i.e; Right Heel, Right Ball of your foot. Left heel, Left Ball of your foot. It can be tricky to get the hang of, but some of the fastest feet use this method.

This guy explain all three(and a fourth) a whole lot better.

Experiment a while, your feet will naturally find where they are most comfortable. And practice with a rudiment. Which pedal did you get?

Sorry if this complicates things a lot more.

Advertisement