Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has recession influenced your CAO choices?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there - I'm a journalist writing a piece on CAO choices and whether students are feeling pressured to adjust their choices according to current employment opportunities. I'd really enjoy a quick chat with ye on this matter. Many thanks for your help in advance! Shelly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

no most of us know bt 2013 it should be gone so i'm doing what interests me recession or none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 michelleann

Thanks for your reply! - very interesting point. Would I be able to have a quick chat with you about this for the feature I'm writing? I'd also appreciate a photo to run alongside your views. Looking forward to hearing from you. Many thanks, Shelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Did you have to start 3 threads to get a response?

No, not really, Science has always really been my intention, had a brief flirtation with the idea of doing Modern Irish (Still could/might) but recession/threat of fees, has made me a little hesitant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to the Media Interaction beta forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

No, not personally but I am interested in Arts/Humanities and it has showed me that all the supposed job-friendly courses are just as vulnerable to a lack of employers. At this stage I may as well pursue my interest rather than a potential job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

hey!

Another report to write that may get some interest, will Ireland develop a brain drain pandemic now that there is cheaper travel abroad, less connection to historic Ireland,more money to be made elsewhere and the development of the internet as an invaluable job seeking and networking tool helped younger people jump ship and leave Ireland to age into an lower educated workforce.

maybe look at the increase in WHV sought in Oz and NZ then maybe overall emmigration of u30 3rd level educated Irish nationals moving abroad to work.

I for one know of about 30people personally who have headed in Oz's direction in the last year.

In the 80s it was mainly to the UK but now that they are doing just as bad or maybe evern worse off than us there maybe even smaller chance of anyone ever returning, especially if where we head has better weather!

pm me/ post if you would like some more information!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think there will be a brain drain, especially if college fess will come in. For the sake of a few more thousand euro people will go to much better colleges in the UK and continental Europe, one of the main incentives to be educated in Ireland was the free fees. Now we'll have our brightest going abroad to be educated and employed there. The government has harped on about a knowledge-based economy, but they appear to be doing little to facilitate it. The combination of expensive education (if fees do come in) and the withdrawal of multinational companies who employ many of our graduates makes the future of the Irish "knowledge economy" seem dim.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement