Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 or O2?

• 21-01-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've been reading some threads here and people seem to be using either three or o2 for mobile broadband. I have some questions that maybe you can answer. Only really want it for browsing so speed isn't much of an issue, but I may be using it all around the country.

3 offers an E169G modem for free or an E 160G (usb stick) which is 49 euro. How does the free modem connect to the laptop? Is it worth going for the usb stick one?

3 say its 19.99 per month by direct debit. Anyone know how much it is if you don't use direct debit? Any hidden charges? Is it the same rate for the entire contract?

o2 say its €20.58 per month. Any hidden charges here? I can't see the pricing for their modem anywhere either.

Anything else I should take into account?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes.

Some websites don't work with 3
    Their email support in past much worse than O2
    O2 has better coverage and fall back to EDGE, more likely to connect.
    It's easy to be someplace where 3 near 150k or can't connect.
    I've not had worse than 700kbps on O2

You need some kind of USB interface modem. Most are. There are harder to get PCMCIA/PCcard and ExpressCard formats which are more expensive but usually slightly more powerful and option for external aerial.

Some USB versions have only internal aerial.

Unless you really need Mobility, try hard to get a Fixed Wireless Broadband, Metro, Cable, fibre or DSL.
    Only really want it for browsing so speed isn't much of an issue, but I may be using it all around the country.
    • Check the online coverage Maps for 3, Vodaphone, Meteor and O2
    • Make sure you try which ever you chose in all your areas/places inside the trial period.
    • Make sure your laptop supports the modem and has correct interface (USB, PCMCIA, ExpressCard)
    • Check if your laptop comes with a 3G/HSDPA modem built in using miniPCIe, then you only need a SIM
    • A USB stick rather than separate USB dongle may not fit your laptop, or not fit when an ajoining USB used. Then you need a short USB joining cable anyway. The Direct Stick into USB socket are more easily broken, esp if you forget to unplug it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

3 offers an E169G modem for free or an E 160G (usb stick) which is 49 euro. How does the free modem connect to the laptop? Is it worth going for the usb stick one?
    E169 is USB interface.
    3 say its 19.99 per month by direct debit. Anyone know how much it is if you don't use direct debit? Any hidden charges? Is it the same rate for the entire contract?
    They won't give you it without the direct debit.

The only hidden charges I know if, and they apply to all operators, are the charges for over usage. Go over your cap, and Three charge straight away. O2 have a fair use policy, which means they won't necessarily charge straight away.

o2 say its €20.58 per month. Any hidden charges here? I can't see the pricing for their modem anywhere either.

O2 pricing here
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband/Buy+Broadband+now/

I see they've changed their products too. You can only get the 10G cap if you sign up for an 18 month contract. It's 7.5G otherwise, or 5G with the O2 Clear SIM. IMO, the E220 is the best of their modems. It allows you to force a 3G connection, which I don't think the software for the other modems does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jor el wrote: »
    They won't give you it without the direct debit.

€24.49/month if you set it up to pay by cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

o2 were much better to deal with :) go with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jimmii wrote: »
    €24.49/month if you set it up to pay by cash.

Really? That's new. I inquired when it first came out and they said no dice. Glad I went with O2 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 neiliusmaximus

Thanks for the helpful advice guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

do these operators provide trial periods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes.
    Read their fine print before leaving shop.

Advertisement