Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 kitchen appliances on one outlet

Options
  • 21-01-2009 4:10pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I thought i'd through this one to my sparky friends.

I currently have my washing machine and dishwasher running from one double outlet in the kitchen. I have now taken out a couple of press units to fit in a condensor dryer, but my question is regarding the sockets. Can I use all three appliances on the one double outlet, and if I do, would using a short extension lead to the dryer be a problem as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

delly wrote: »
    Folks, I thought i'd through this one to my sparky friends.

I currently have my washing machine and dishwasher running from one double outlet in the kitchen. I have now taken out a couple of press units to fit in a condensor dryer, but my question is regarding the sockets. Can I use all three appliances on the one double outlet, and if I do, would using a short extension lead to the dryer be a problem as well?

The 3 items you've mentioned can be large electrical loads. Can you post the ratting of each of them here?

It would be advisable, not to use plug boards or adapters, with this sort of load...

If you look at the other loads on that socket circuit, the type of circuit, number of sockets on it, the MCB ratting.... it may be possible to add an additional double socket beside the one you already have, with not much work....

So you'd need to find out:-
    1. Other loads on that circuit, calculate the max load on the circuit
    2. Ratting of the MCB
    3. Number of sockets current on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

It'll be grand

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The 3 items you've mentioned can be large electrical loads. Can you post the ratting of each of them here?

It would be advisable, not to use plug boards or adapters, with this sort of load...

If you look at the other loads on that socket circuit, the type of circuit, number of sockets on it, the MCB ratting.... it may be possible to add an additional double socket beside the one you already have, with not much work....

So you'd need to find out:-
    1. Other loads on that circuit, calculate the max load on the circuit
    2. Ratting of the MCB
    3. Number of sockets current on it
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out the ratings label to see what they total. I have checked the MCB and its the only 32A on the board, but it seems this handles all of the kitchens plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

delly wrote: »
    I'll check out the ratings label to see what they total. I have checked the MCB and its the only 32A on the board, but it seems this handles all of the kitchens plugs.

This should not be the case IMO, it should be a 20 Amp radial circuit.

It may be the case that it's an oldish wiring job and someone has installed a 32 Amp ring circuit.

These days this is not the correct way to do things but it could be a good thing as you could split the circuit very easily. If it is a ring circuit there should be two cables entering the 32Amp MCB at the fuse board, these could be separated into 2 number 20 amp circuits by buying two new 20 Amp MCBs (about €6 each).
    Hopefully the socket that is currently feeding the washer and dryer has two pairs of cables feeding it (it will if it's a ring circuit), this could then be separated into 2 sockets (buy an extra one) splitting the circuit into two and solving your problem.

I have a concern that if the cabling is only 2.5.sq.mm and it being protected by a 32Amp breaker, your additional load may require a current that the cable can't carry, but the MCB can, so the cable will heat up etc.

It could also be the case that you have misinterpreted what you have seen on your fuse board maybe ???.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Stoner wrote: »
    It could also be the case that you have misinterpreted what you have seen on your fuse board maybe ???.
    On the back of the fuseboard door it has all numbers marked to what they are. The kitchen sockets are marked down with a 32a in brackets and it is an actual 32a on the board. The house is only 7 years old so I would assume that the 32a was intentional, but based on what you say, I'm curious as to why.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a 32Amp ring circuit to me so, and I'd change it to two number 20Amp radial circuits, and split the ring so as to spread the heavy load items across the two circuits.

A ring circuit would be a pair of cables leaving the board and going all over your kitchen feeding all the sockets there and returning to the board and connected to the same MCB.

A radial circuit would leave the board and link to the sockets and finish at the last socket on the run (not return to the board) these are the correct circuits for a kitchen

To split a ring circuit into two radial circuits you would essentially be cutting a circle in two places (if you understand where I'm coming from.) One cut being buy splitting the 32Amp MCb out to 2 x 20Amp MCBs and the other break would be at a socket.

Note ring circuits were the norm once, but times have changed and we have more current heavy appliances than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd agree with what stoner says above.... The good news is that it looks like you don't need to add any extra cable runs...

Getting back to the original problem and needing a new socket:-
    1. Add Extra socket beside existing one and loop the ring through it. This should be grand, and would mean keeping the existing ring circuit.
    Or
    2. Check you do have a ring. Identify major loads on the circuit. I identify if possibly the routing of the ring. Identify the best place to "break" the ring, into two radials. This point might be at the location of the existing & extra socket, which would be very handy. Add 2 x 20A breakers into the consumer unit.

Very good folks, i'll get the multimetre out and take a trip to the electrical wholesalers. Thanks all round.

TBH Delly, I'd never recommend that a lay person went near the inside of a fuseboard, this is a 20 Min job for an electrician IMO.

Advertisement