Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Accents

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

buynow wrote: »
    Maybe you're the alpha male

If that were the case, wouldn't my English friends develop Irish accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Daddio wrote: »
    I believe the medical term is W.A.S. (Wandering Accent Syndrome)

What about travellers?
    No wonder their accent can be odd at times. Best/funniest example is Brad Pitt's character in Snatch.

I don't think I've picked up a kiwi accent, but Have picked up some of the local sayings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have a lot of family in Australia and they have been there over 20 years and still have very strong Belfast accents.

My cousin from Dublin goes over for 6 weeks and comes back actually speaking like an australian, not just expressions, his accent had completely changed. Aw ye mate..:rolleyes:

Tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't remember what my accent sound likes seeing as I enjoy taking off everybody else's accent for the lulz. :pac:

I do remember that it was better than everybody else's.

Some people have an ear for accents and language and pick them up easily. That's all it is. All this about being a weak person or easily influenced is pure tripe. :rolleyes: Do you really think people go around putting on an accent on purpose? How much effort would it take to do that?

There is a theory that if you like the community you're in, you'll pick up the accent, but that isn't true for me. I moved to Tyrone when I was 11, detested the place, and had the accent within a month. Happens everywhere I go. Perhaps because I was exposed to loads of different accents as a kid, I don't know.

It's strange how it's seen as 'cool' to speak a foreign language with the local accent, and 'weak' to pick up accents in your own language. What's the difference? The same people who think it's amazing that I was mistaken for a native in Seville are scornful about the fact I pretty much have a Dublin accent after living here for 6 years. Strange logic - wouldn't you think it was easier to pick up an accent in your own language?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I suppose if you find yourself isolated at any time from your own local dialect ,say abroad someplace and there is nobody with you ,you may have to slow your dialect down to make yourself understood.I do recall staying in a hostel in Amsterdam once with a mixture of Irish ,English, a few Americans,Kiwi's and some Germans and this one guy ( Brian ) from somewere in the north of ireland ,cant remember, had the strongest accent that even I failed to understand him and it was hilarious the other nationalities asking me with quizzical looks ' what did he just say ' :eek: lol

He was a lovley guy and felt sorry for him at times, but none of us could understand a word he said :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mine isn't as strong as it would have been when i was a teenager, but you'd still know i was north dublin, i'd say it calms down from working abroad, if you speak with a thick dublin accent people dont know what you're on about so you begin to pronounce words properly and finish words etc. So my accent hasn't changed but I have improved my elocution, so to speak.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    mine isn't as strong as it would have been when i was a teenager, but you'd still know i was north dublin, i'd say it calms down from working abroad, if you speak with a thick dublin accent people dont know what you're on about so you begin to pronounce words properly and finish words etc. So my accent hasn't changed but I have improved my elocution, so to speak.
    Yes indeed , you do become more aware of how your accent is perceived abroad and my elocution also improved over a time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

my uncle is abroad 40 years and still has a big thick irish accent.

i know one tool that went to london for 3 months and came back with a massive cockney accent:eek:

knew a bloke when living in Calgary that had been there 30 years, still sounded like he was straight outta Donnycarney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

Blisterman wrote: »
    If that were the case, wouldn't my English friends develop Irish accents?
    Stop poking holes in my hypothesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

An Irish accent has a lot of pulling power in certain places. I lay it on for the laydees but am usually disappointed when they ask what part of Canada I am from :-(

Most of the time I just keep my accent parked in neutral. I might not get lucky as often but it still leaves people guessing.

Irish accent doesn't provoke any interest at all with the ladies for me in Australia or NZ. They're probably sick of us by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

javaboy wrote: »

What a pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

2 years here and my accent is still as north Dublin as when I left, probably even more so in fact due to my determination not to lose it and have one of those fucked up half and half ones like Delta Goodrem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Irish accent doesn't provoke any interest at all with the ladies for me in Australia or NZ. They're probably sick of us by now.
    Cuts both ways though. The Aussie ocker accent still makes me cringe. Gimme Delta anyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Heh, my Dutch ex sounded quite Irish when we were going out. Some people pick up these things a lot quicker than others.

[quote=[Deleted User];58707154]Some people have an ear for accents and language and pick them up easily. That's all it is. All this about being a weak person or easily influenced is pure tripe. :rolleyes: Do you really think people go around putting on an accent on purpose? How much effort would it take to do that?
    [/quote]

QFT
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by BraziliaNZ
    Speaking of which I find some Australian accents nice but there are some horrendous ones to ,like they are talking with a bunch of feathers down there throats or something .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

ashyle wrote: »
    Also when I fly, jet lag makes me hoarse and I sound like I'm from Roscommon or something :o

You're mixing "hoarse" up with "a horse"

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I've lived in a couple of English-speaking countries (CA, NZ, US, IE) and have ended up with a touch of all the accents in my way of speaking. I find that my accent/mannerisms vary greatly depending on to whom I am speaking at the time; an adult that I don't know would result in a somewhat American accent, a friend in Cork would result in a few "like"s, and with my parents I'd say things like "sweet as". After 7 years in NZ I had a purely Kiwi accent, and after some time in the States I was definitely more loudly spoken.. mixing that in with a Cork and now Dublin accent, I think my voice has become fairly neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Lol this entered my head ... Whes the cah?

Advertisement