Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra 99 timing belt price

Options
  • 21-01-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey guys car is in the garage at the moment having the belt done and water pump plus labour Having it done for 340 euro and collecting it tomorrow. Do ya think its a good price plus they putting an air filter in i bought and a fuse for the clock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say thats a good price alright.

Is the garage in the republic or the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Garage down in cork mate i thought it was a very good price includes everything plus labour. Was happy with it as i always think better to pay that than like 3 grand for a new engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It seems to be a good price compared to some of the prices being thrown around in here!

Well done for getting it at that price. :cool:

Yeah was well chuffed see didnt know when it was last done and i was not risking it espically with a new car plus a car i love. Yeah well happy :D ya all know where to get ya timing belts done for ya astras now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Got quotes for mine which is a 01 1.6 due its first change coming up on 40k miles.

Ranged from €350-€500...will be going with €350 as the guy comes with the recommendation of one of my dad's friends.

• Advertisement

Thats a grand price near enough the same as mine like. Woah 40,000 and its a 01 you ever use it lol. I would change that asap they can go before 40k or well after all the pullys need to be done too dont they?

sammy657 wrote: »
    Thats a grand price near enough the same as mine like. Woah 40,000 and its a 01 you ever use it lol. I would change that asap they can go before 40k or well after all the pullys need to be done too dont they?

I bought it this time last year with 26k on it, finally sorted my taxback today so will be booking it in for 2 weeks time.

Ah thats grand then its not used much so should last. Is the timing belt change an involved job then?

Ah thats grand then its not used much so should last. Is the timing belt change an involved job then?
    Nope....handing it over and leaving it there...will hand over the cash when it's done and take my receipt.

Ah same as me mate just wonder if its a hard job to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

The water pump should really be done in conjunction with the timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Definitely do the water pump. Had the misfortune of one going on an Astra. Ended up with new head gasket and €1000 bill. I would assume any garage will change both at the same time - but ask to be sure.

Yes the water pump is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Garage down in cork mate i thought it was a very good price includes everything plus labour. Was happy with it as i always think better to pay that than like 3 grand for a new engine

I just did a job about a month ago for a mate who had the complete engine f*cked up on his 01 Astra because he let the timing belt go overdue, the bearings went in the water pump, the belt slipped and every valve in the engine had to be replaced. Head had to come off, new head gasket, 16 new valves, new cylinder head bolts, water pump, timing belt kit...

Dam was it a hard job? How much it cost him? Yeah the guy said the timing belt comes as a kit new belt tensioners water pump etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

seems like a good price. Its unusual to hear of good value on here..... its normally only the rip offs that get posted. why not give the garage a plug (for all the other astra driving corkonians:D) Any time Ive ever gotten a Timing belt change the quotes have always been over 500.

Dam was it a hard job? How much it cost him? Yeah the guy said the timing belt comes as a kit new belt tensioners water pump etc

Let's just say he owes me a few pints! It isn't hard to do but obviously you'd need to know what your doing. I warned him about a year ago to get the timing belt done but he's just one of these people who doesn't bother getting his car serviced or maintained, everything with him is reactive and resolving problems after they happen. The valves alone cost a couple of hundred Euro and then you have the timing belt kit & water pump, another 120 Euro... In all his part's bill I think came to over 600 Euro.

Dam thats bad like. Happy im getting mine done even tho i have to fork out but its ok has to be done. I still have a few tiny drops of oil coming out from under the cover on the engine im assuming this is the rocker cover gasket?

Dam thats bad like. Happy im getting mine done even tho i have to fork out but its ok has to be done. I still have a few tiny drops of oil coming out from under the cover on the engine im assuming this is the rocker cover gasket?

I'd say it's from the sump bung, did the mechanic change the oil while doing this job?

Na mate just topped it up with oil i thinks. Is it anything to worry about its not much just a few drops coming from under the ecotec cover

• Advertisement
Advertisement