Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I just love it! Criticise the man whilst ignoring any good he has done. Bono has certainly done more to highlight the plight of Africa over the years than all the begrudgers on this thread combined. It's funny how you don't hear the same level of criticism towards someone like Geldof.

At least he is trying to make a difference - and not simply by the traditional methods of chucking good cash after bad.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I agree. Bono shouldn't begrudge paying Irish tax.

He does pay tax in the country.
    Bono just preaches, in this really stupid drolling accent.

He simplifies incredibly complicated issues as if he has all the answers. People spend ages studying development economics and they still can't agree such is the complexity of the subject matter.

Bono doesn't even realise the irony of his position. He is part of the problem. If you concentrate wealth in small finite pockets, of course it's going to affect wealth distribution.

If you dumb problems down, you're never going to solve them you just make them worse. Again that's what he does. It's just about raising awareness, it's abuot making people think more. How can someone who excuses himself from rational debate mean that people think more?

I'd have no problem if he was prepare to argue his points and take the tough questions, rather than just preach them as if he was Jesus or something.

I fail to see what Bono's accent has to do with anything. Childish insults don't really strengthen your case.

Your post contains a lot of words attacking Bono - he's dumming problems down, he is simplifying matters or he is part of the problem. However, beyond these strong words of opinion, I see nothing to back them up. You have only offered sound bites and nothing in the way of substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its protestant thing too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Before the usual crowd get in with their he's asking us to give money to Africa, but he's not paying tax here rabble, I'd like to point out that he does pay tax here, he's not asking for Irish money (It's the G8 he's after (See live8 for reference. The clue is in the name)) and he has brought a great deal of tourism to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

He has:
    1. No philosophical training.
    2. No political qualifications.
    3. No economic qualifications.
    4. Nothing except for a connection to a rock band. Other than that, he's Joe Average.

My jaw drops when I read intellectual snobbery like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I just love it! Criticise the man whilst ignoring any good he has done. Bono has certainly done more to highlight the plight of Africa over the years than all the begrudgers on this thread combined. It's funny how you don't hear the same level of criticism towards someone like Geldof.
    Because Geldof came on the scene as scruffy, B - rated rock star who had nothing to be arrogant about.

Because Geldof, several times has debated his opinions, argued his points and had his points subject to rational scruntiny.

Because Geldof, seems to have a bit more intelligence than Bono.

Bono his just arrogant.
    At least he is trying to make a difference - and not simply by the traditional methods of chucking good cash after bad.
    I don't see what's he's trying to do.
    He does pay tax in the country.
    His band re-registerd in Holland so they'd pay less tax.
    I fail to see what Bono's accent has to do with anything. Childish insults don't really strengthen your case.
    Because it's fake and not genuine. Just like all his points.
    He deliberately twangs it to sound cool and sophisticated.
    Just like the way he dumbs down his arguments so they populist and lack all detail. The devil is always in the detail. Especially with complicated issues. But he ignores the detail so he can just sound high and mighty.
    Your post contains a lot of words attacking Bono - he's dumming problems down, he is simplifying matters or he is part of the problem. However, beyond these strong words of opinion, I see nothing to back them up. You have only offered sound bites and nothing in the way of substance.
    1. Did you watch the Prime time interview?
    2. Have you ever, ever seen Bono get his opinions questioned.
    I watched all the political programs on tv and several on the net and anytime I see him all he does is preach.

I hate that type of public discourse. I don't see any use in it bar ego tripping.

My jaw drops when I read intellectual snobbery like this.
    What's the point in having so many bright intellectualls research these issues and instead of listening to them, we listen to a rock star?

Because on a political day of global importance, I turn and see a 15 minute interview (or so) with Bono.

Gordan D'Arcy does a lot of work for Goal, could you imagine if Primetime was doing a special on African poverty on an occasion of global importance and interviewed Gordan D'Arcy?

• Advertisement

Because Geldof came on the scene as scruffy, B - rated rock star who had nothing to be arrogant about.

A discussion about Geldof's unkempt appearance or musical inability has no place in this debate. It only provides further evidence - as if it were needed - that your opinions are nourished from a personal dislike of the man.
    Because Geldof, several times has debated his opinions, argued his points and had his points subject to rational scruntiny.

I don't see why Bono should be obliged to debate in open forums (and I'm not convinced that he refuses to do such things). He isn't out in Africa digging wells or rebuilding hospitals either. Should he be criticised for this? One imagines that Geldof and Bono are 'singing from the same hymn sheet', so to speak. If Geldof is better at answering questions then let him handle the debates.
    Because Geldof, seems to have a bit more intelligence than Bono.

What has the relative levels of intelligence between these two men got to do with their charitable work? Again with the intellectual snobbery.
    Bono his just arrogant.

If you think so, then fine! But such an opinion has nothing to do with your criticisms of his work in Africa. You are needlessly personalising this.
    I don't see what's he's trying to do.
    And yet you criticize!
    His band re-registerd in Holland so they'd pay less tax.

The band's royalty income is held in Holland. This says noting about his personal fortune, where it is held (I would assume a number of countries) or how much tax he pays on it. Also, there has been no mention of the his personal private donations to charity or that he freely gives his time and image to a cause he believes in.
    Because it's fake and not genuine. Just like all his points.
    He deliberately twangs it to sound cool and sophisticated.
    Just like the way he dumbs down his arguments so they populist and lack all detail. The devil is always in the detail. Especially with complicated issues. But he ignores the detail so he can just sound high and mighty.

You freely criticise, Tim, but I don't see any new ideas in your words. To use one of your most favourite expressions - all I'm hearing from you is 'rhetoric'.

Bono is there to get people passionate about sorting out the plight of the poorest people in the world. I've see countless internet warriors such as yourself bitch, moan and criticise Bono the man. Yet there is always a uproariously conspicuous silence when it come to proffering better solutions or enlightening us about the changes they have helped to bring to people in Africa.

I don't think the sun shines out Bobo's arse - he can be a tit sometimes - but this near pant wetting hysterical hatred towards the man is just something I find bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

You gotta love these people who hate Bono. Reading there posts is hilarious oh the bile and hatred. :D

in his new single he says he doesn't want to talk about 'war betweens nations', but he'll talk about everything else,he'll pretend he doesn't want to take sides but he clearly has, he's a coward.

he obviously thinks thinks bush was doing gods work in iraq.

Bono is there to get people passionate about sorting out the plight of the poorest people in the world. I've see countless internet warriors such as yourself bitch, moan and criticise Bono the man. Yet there is always a uproariously conspicuous silence when it come to proffering better solutions or enlightening us about the changes they have helped to bring to people in Africa.

if he is making the world worse ,then by us doing nothing we are doing more then him :P

if he is making the world worse ,then by us doing nothing we are doing more then him :P

Yes... very good.

in his new single he says he doesn't want to talk about 'war betweens nations', but he'll talk about everything else,he'll pretend he doesn't want to take sides but he clearly has, he's a coward.

he obviously thinks thinks bush was doing gods work in iraq.

A coward? What crap are you on about? As for the war, Bono has publicly spoken out against it.

A coward? What crap are you on about? As for the war, Bono has publicly spoken out against it.

Do you agree with his stance on Tax avoidance?

Do you agree with his stance on Tax avoidance?

I haven't put a great deal of thought into it, tbh. U2 are operating within the confines of the law (they are not evading tax) when they decided to keep part of their earnings in Holland. As a part time resident in this country, I have no problem with Bono keeping his cash wherever he wants.

However, this really is only a side issue. Your posts suggest something much graver - that Bono is actually part of the problems of Africa. I would be interested to see how you can justify this statement. I realise that it's an unimaginably complex issue, but you must know what's right if you can point out what wrong.

he's ushering in new era of forced privatisation

Are you just typing random sentences?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The guy is trying to do his little bit to make the world a better place. Why is it that Irish people always try to knock down anyone who is famous and successfull when they try to use their higher stance to do some good?

If him or Geldoff or any of those guys did nothing but live lavishly and be greedy upon themselves, the public would probably moan that they were not doing any good...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Fair play to Dutch businessman Bono.

They must be very proud of him in Holland.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are you just typing random sentences?
    You only noticed now?

Pop twats - sounds like something you put into a toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They all seem to have rolled in since the last time that I was here – like a Bonothon fund-raising event.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. . .? The anecdote above somehow proves that Bono doesn't raise awareness about poverty and disease in the Third World?

It makes me aware that a person wasting money having his favourite hat flown to a charity event is a hypocrite. That money could have fed quite a few starving people – but he had to have his hat! Even Pavarotti could have done with some of that, the poor chap being up to his eyeballs in debt when he died.

If sane people cannot see how ridiculous this is, then there’s no hope at all.

Members of the Saint Bono fan-club will have none of this however as they have a blinkered view of the situation, much like those political party devotees and their unwillingness to accept that their TDs should all go back to the jobs they had before somehow getting elected.

World-class political leaders tolerate people like Bono because they are too diplomatic to tell them to take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Here's a crazy thought:

Please attempt to make all future posts to this thread relevant to the discussion started in the original post of the thread. Otherwise I'll shake my head and close it.

There may be a penalty for those who make me close it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement