Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A1 license

• 21-01-2009 5:13pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, have a question here..

Can you get an A1 license by just doing a theory test and not having to do a practical test? :confused:

I've been told I can by someone who should know but it doesnt sound right. I have a full B license and use it for a 50cc moped at the moment, but moving up to a 125cc with nothing more than a theory test completed doesnt sound right.

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Can you get an A1 license by just doing a theory test and not having to do a practical test? :confused:

I've been told I can by someone who should know but it doesnt sound right. I have a full B license and use it for a 50cc moped at the moment, but moving up to a 125cc with nothing more than a theory test completed doesnt sound right.

Tox

Yeah, theory test and your good to go. I hopped on a restricted 650cc from a theory test I did 5 years ago.

Although I don't think the Full B license covers people to drive bikes or mopeds any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Tox

No, you will get an A1 learner permit, when you pass a driving test you get an A1 Licence.

If your over 18 get an A the tests are all the same (you have to do the A test on a bike bigger than 125 but they can be rented.), with the A1 you would be limited to 125cc which is fine but a pain if you ever want something bigger(you basically have to start over).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I knew that about the A license alright, but was not sure about the A1..

Guess I may aswell make a leap and jump to the A straight away, is there a long waiting list to do the test for the A license?

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

A few months I think...varies by area so check the waiting times on the RSA website although I think it only really applies to car tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

I knew that about the A license alright, but was not sure about the A1..

Guess I may aswell make a leap and jump to the A straight away, is there a long waiting list to do the test for the A license?

Tox

Prob a little late to post this but if you are interested you will still have to wait 6 months after you get your A learner permit to do you test. I think this came into effect when they change the law for motorcycle licences a few years ago. Don't know if you have to be insured and riding during that period, maybe someone might be able to answer that question?

PS. by the way it's from the time you get you A learner permit, not from when you pass your theory test, so send all your bits of as soon as you pass the theory test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement