Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanafin now wants to cut Carers allowance!

Options
  • 21-01-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

FF have come up with a new attack on the poor.

The latest idea is to steal money from Carers!

So whilst they are only delighted to hand Billions of Euros to give a helping hand to the banks, they continue to hurt the very poorest people of this country and steal from them.

How much more will the Irish be expected to take before full scale riots to remove this government?

http://www.nationalist.ie/the/Outrage-at-threat-to-carers.4877343.jp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    FF have come up with a new attack on the poor.

The latest idea is to steal money from Carers!

So whilst they are only delighted to hand Billions of Euros to give a helping hand to the banks, they continue to hurt the very poorest people of this country and steal from them.

How much more will the Irish be expected to take before full scale riots to remove this government?

http://www.nationalist.ie/the/Outrage-at-threat-to-carers.4877343.jp
    Firstly, they aren't "stealing" anything.

Secondly, we are 19,000 million in the hole, do you really think that we can get by with cutting nothing unpopular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Secondly, we are 19,000 million in the hole, do you really think that we can get by with cutting nothing unpopular?

It's depressing, but I have to agree with this. A lot of people were whinging about public sector pay and calling for cuts.

There were cuts in Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann and now people are whinging about less services. Having cakes and eating them come to mind.

The only people to remain unscathed out of this will be FF members themselves. Those at the top, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SaturnV

It's depressing, but I have to agree with this. A lot of people were whinging about public sector pay and calling for cuts.

There were cuts in Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann and now people are whinging about less services. Having cakes and eating them come to mind.

The only people to remain unscathed out of this will be FF members themselves. Those at the top, as per usual.

I generally agree with you, but I'm not sure about your last point. Is this just presumption? How has the government action preferentially affected FF members? Or do you just mean the politicians themselves? In that case, how are they affected differently to other TDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Carers actually save the government and the country money in the long run looking after people( allbeit their own family) who would otherwise be in hospital or in homes. How much would that cost the country???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

SaturnV wrote: »
    I generally agree with you, but I'm not sure about your last point. Is this just presumption? How has the government action preferentially affected FF members? Or do you just mean the politicians themselves? In that case, how are they affected differently to other TDs?

That last sentence was more of a defeatist rant than anything else, it's close to dinner time, so the old blood-sugar level must be low :( Well, that, and a deep-seated hatred for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps the ludicrous way in which the carers' allowance sometimes operates can be examined and curtailed thereby not affecting those who actually need it.

E.g. local man called in to SW office, where he's told point blank that, as he appears to have a brand new car financed from an unknown source, his dole money is going to be stopped. Man immediately applies for carers' allowance re his family and gets it. For him, business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    How much would that cost the country???
    And investing in education and motorways are good investments in the long-run, too. It doesn't mean we can afford them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Given the reaction to the over 70's medical card fiasco, I can't see this happening.

first cut the banking guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

According to the last piece of the article...
    Tipperary's 5,968 family carers contribute over 142,761 hours every week to Ireland's social economy, saving the state over j96 million each year.

Which if applied to the whole country is money very well spent, not to mention the great work that carers do.

• Advertisement

I think that there will soon be a substantial sum set aside to fund riot control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how will they arrange for the disabled to heat dress wash etc, + home cleaning

And investing in education and motorways are good investments in the long-run, too. It doesn't mean we can afford them.

Thats not an argument for cutting the carers allowance though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thats not an argument for cutting the carers allowance though

I'm not necessarily arguing that the carers' allowance should be cut (I have no idea how much it costs, how many people are involved etc.) but arguing that they save us money in the long-run doesn't "cut it", just like motorways.

I'm not necessarily arguing that the carers' allowance should be cut (I have no idea how much it costs, how many people are involved etc.) but arguing that they save us money in the long-run doesn't "cut it", just like motorways.

I dont have any figures to support a comprehensive arguement on this but from purely my own experiences I know alot of cases whereby the person being cared for would be straight into a home if they hadnt got their carer. They provide an invaluable service for little reward and save the already overburdened health service from having to provide places in hospital beds or homes.

I dont have any figures to support a comprehensive arguement on this but from purely my own experiences I know alot of cases whereby the person being cared for would be straight into a home if they hadnt got their carer. They provide an invaluable service for little reward and save the already overburdened health service from having to provide places in hospital beds or homes.

I would agree with that, and would further add that the scheme would never have been set up had the government not calculated that there would be savings to the exchequer.

Any reduction will mean that the buck is passed to the family involved, an appalling situation in genuine cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

According to the Carers Association website, there are 161,000 carers in the country and they save the state €2.5 billion per year.

There can't be many more nails needed to nail down the coffin-lid on this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just sack the 100's administering the damn thing and we'll have more Carers rather than Administrators Administering Carers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement