Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Dundalk to close

Options
  • 21-01-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

I've just heard that Superquinn in Dundalk is to close next month with a loss of all jobs. Newry is crippling Dundalk for shopping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 badvibes

doncarlos wrote: »
    Newry is crippling Dundalk for shopping.

cant agree ,dunnes have 3 stores ,tesco two ,lidl 1 and aldi 1 soon to be 2,in dundalk .superquinn just to expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Superquinn is very expensive. The bread and meat are top quality, but the other brands which can be bought everywhere else are so much more expensive. Sad to see more job losses in town, but until we get our act together more money is going to be spent in Sainsburys in Newry.
    The government needs to stop mouthing off about patriotism and drop VAT and anything else that will make not only Dundalk but the rest of this country competitive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I heard on the news, i know some people working for the company and first they heard about it was when they heard it on the news - disgraceful on Superquinns part to let staff find out this way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

doncarlos wrote: »
    I've just heard that Superquinn in Dundalk is to close next month with a loss of all jobs. Newry is crippling Dundalk for shopping.
    Newry has nothing to do with them closing, they are just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Newry has nothing to do with them closing, they are just too expensive.

I think you will find if you purchase an exact like for like trolley of goods from Superquinn and any of the other major retailers there will be no difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I think you will find if you purchase an exact like for like trolley of goods from Superquinn and any of the other major retailers there will be no difference

:rolleyes: It is the most expensive supermarket in town, by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Tesco and Dunnes can't even guarantee that. Unless Superquinn have cut their prices dramatically in recent times they are most definetely more expensive on pretty much everything. It's a shame, they are great supermarkets.

Anyone know how many they employ in Dundalk?

I think you will find your very wrong with your statement.

Dunnesstores:
    DS 12pk Eggs - €0.99c
    DS Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €1.69c

Superquinns:
    SQ 12pk Eggs - €3.95c
    SQ 6pk Eggs - €1.59c
    SQ Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €3.49c
    Euroshopper Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €1.99

I can list more if you want. I suggest for the future that if your going to make such a statement you back it up.

TommyT wrote: »
    The government needs to stop mouthing off about patriotism and drop VAT and anything else that will make not only Dundalk but the rest of this country competitive again.

Minimum wage here is €8.65 - €6.13 in the north today. Pretty much everything will have to change if we want to compete with that.

Experts are predicting that the Pound is finished anyway.

I think you will find your very wrong with your statement.

Dunnesstores:
    DS 12pk Eggs - €0.99c
    DS Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €1.69c

Superquinns:
    SQ 12pk Eggs - €3.95c
    SQ 6pk Eggs - €1.59c
    SQ Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €3.49c
    Euroshopper Kitchen Towels (4 Rolls) - €1.99

I can list more if you want. I suggest for the future that if your going to make such a statement you back it up.

I think he was referring to Daz for Daz, Corn Flakes for Corn Flakes. Brand for brand.

Kitchen Towels can differ greatly. Eggs can be medium, large etc..

• Advertisement

Superquinns:
    Pepsi Diet - 2 x 2ltr - €4.05c
    Sqeez Juice Apple 2 x 1ltr - €3.45c

Dunnesstores:
    Pepsi Diet - 2 x 2ltr - €3.00c
    Sqeez Juice Apple 2 x 1ltr - €2.50c

Point proven. Good work. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While we always found Superquinn a little more expensive, we always shopped there. This store is not closong because of competition from Newry. They ran the store down over the last couple of years. Since the first manager (McArdle I think) left the standards have dropped. Quality of Fruit & Veg went downhill, they were forever out of stock of many basic items and stopped selling some items completely. The place became dirty with shelves never wiped down.
    It was poor management. I feel sorry for the staff as they were wonderful and gave great customer service in the face of a management who couldn't get basic stock control right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bad news for the staff and indeed, for the whole centre. It'll be hard for the smaller shops to carry on trading in a store with no anchor tennant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think that shopping centre as a whole is fooked, theres not a whole pile going on in there particularly now that the marshes has opened. Is CD World even still opened?. I know the beauticians in there went out of business quite a while ago too.

Though Superquinns bakery was top notch I have to say, everything else was a complete ripoff. It was a nice place to shop though and the staff were really helpful and chatty. Hopefully they will find jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

badvibes wrote: »
    cant agree ,dunnes have 3 stores ,tesco two ,lidl 1 and aldi 1 soon to be 2,in dundalk .superquinn just to expensive

Dunnes do have 3 stores in Dundalk but their prices are not uniform across the board. My mam shops in Dunnes with my grandmother once a week, she went to Dunnes in Newry last week to get her weekly shop and saved over €60 (including travel - petrol) on her usual shop, actually her shop included washing powder(ariel) etc, which are only bought once a month.

When Dundalk was booming many shops in Dundalk chose to employ foreigners living in the town because they could pay them less. Nothing against foreigners as they have the same right to work as everyone else here, but why should the people of Dundalk have to pay much more for goods and services when they can be found cheaper across the border? Especially when the shops did nothing for locals, and then they go to the Argus and Democrat and ask for our loyalty?

Also I purchased some accsesorys for my Xbox 360 in Newry last week, they cost me £20, in Dundalk the cheapest I could find them was for €45. Now how can I be expected to pay €45 wehn I cant get a job and Im a student in the college?

Dundalk retailers brought this on themselves

Interesting point Cpt. Tremendous but I work in recruitment (worked on behalf of Dunnes and Tescos in the past) and I can tell you that Irish people didn't want work in Dunnes when things were going well. Polish people were willing to to do the jobs Irish people thought they were too good for. With wealth comes snobbery. Dunnes are not to blame for that.

The problem with spending your money over the border is when things are bad, like they are now - you are taking much needed revenue for Public Services and Welfare out of the country. The British government won't pay your dole if you lose your job!

I can understand people's fury at the the scandalous overcharging in this country but taking your business over the border is a little short sighted in my opinion - it could do more harm than good in the longer term.

Hopefully they'll take notice of the numbers crossing the border and do something about it!!

The problem with spending your money over the border is when things are bad, like they are now - you are taking much needed revenue for Public Services and Welfare out of the country. The British government won't pay your dole if you lose your job!

I can understand people's fury at the the scandalous overcharging in this country but taking your business over the border is a little short sighted in my opinion - it could do more harm than good in the longer term.

Hopefully they'll take notice of the numbers crossing the border and do something about it!!

Whiskey Devil, you made a few interesting points there, the British government wont pay my dole, but at the same time neither will the Irish government if it keeps going the way its going. I can appreciate that going up North isn't going to solve our countries economic problems, but why should we (the tax paying public) be out money because our government are making a mess of our money. If you read this weeks Argus you will see that the HSE are spending €3 billion a year on unused property, now surely that money could be used to better the economy.

Let me re phrase the point I was making.

If you make €100 a week after tax, and you need to get a weekly shop. Which would you pick? Superquinn, who are far far more expensive but if you stick with them, they will pay you €75 a week when you lose your job....OR, you could go to Tescos, who are far far cheaper now they wont pay you any money when you lose your job, but if you were smart you would use the money your saving and put it in bank account or save it in a safe at home, and then when or if you lose your job you will have a nice little cushion to fall back on.

Now, which sounds better?

I take it you can afford to do all your shopping here in the south but for the majority of people they now have no choice but to go up north, others just realized that we're being fleeched here in the south. You can't blame people for going up north, afterall Mary Harney did tell us to shop around :rolleyes:.

I myself do most of my shopping up north and really have no other choice but too if I want to pay all my bills. A 15 minute drive and weekly I'm saving double figures, I saved well over a thousand at Xmas, it's just pure madness the savings.
    I know some people and government say well it's higher costs, vat etc... here in the south but it still doesn't add up, it's just pure greed and profiteering here.

As for the recent loyalty and patriotism thing the media and government liked shouting about, my loyalty and patriotism starts with myself, my family and my pocket first and foremost. As for our government showing the same for the people of Ireland and helping us in these harsh times, I just can't see it, our own TD/Minister Dermot Ahern is more concerned about resettling and offering homes to prisoners from Guantanamo Bay :mad:. What about all the money our own government has wasted and still wasting.

Whiskey Devil, you made a few interesting points there, the British government wont pay my dole, but at the same time neither will the Irish government if it keeps going the way its going. I can appreciate that going up North isn't going to solve our countries economic problems, but why should we (the tax paying public) be out money because our government are making a mess of our money. If you read this weeks Argus you will see that the HSE are spending €3 billion a year on unused property, now surely that money could be used to better the economy.

Let me re phrase the point I was making.

If you make €100 a week after tax, and you need to get a weekly shop. Which would you pick? Superquinn, who are far far more expensive but if you stick with them, they will pay you €75 a week when you lose your job....OR, you could go to Tescos, who are far far cheaper now they wont pay you any money when you lose your job, but if you were smart you would use the money your saving and put it in bank account or save it in a safe at home, and then when or if you lose your job you will have a nice little cushion to fall back on.

Now, which sounds better?

Nice analogy. :pac:

It's a fair argument you make but whether people are actually putting by what they're saving I'm not sure. I'm a little sceptical on that. If everybody took the same attitude the country would probably never recover.

But I understand you're reasons anyway. I think they'll have no choice but to take notice and do something about it!

There will be many valuable lessons learned from all this.

Luckily I don't own any property or drive a BMW..

• Advertisement

But I understand you're reasons anyway. I think they'll have no choice but to take notice and do something about it!

There will be many valuable lessons learned from all this.

Luckily I don't own any property or drive a BMW..
    Thank god I don't have a mortgage (was considering it this time last year but chose not too) or a fancy car, they would of been long gone by now for me.

All of the trade that is going up north will and is to some extent having a knock on effect here on business but it's not the source of the problem nor is it the sole cause for places closing. Businesses, services and governmet just got too blinded and greedy by the "celtic tiger boom" and now that times have change they are either too stupid or still greedy that they will not lower costs here, it can be and must be done if our economy is to survive but by the looks of things we have the wrong government to do it and before long it will be too late to make such a change.

I take it you can afford to do all your shopping here in the south but for the majority of people they now have no choice but to go up north, others just realized that we're being fleeched here in the south. You can't blame people for going up north, afterall Mary Harney did tell us to shop around :rolleyes:.

I myself do most of my shopping up north and really have no other choice but too if I want to pay all my bills. A 15 minute drive and weekly I'm saving double figures, I saved well over a thousand at Xmas, it's just pure madness the savings.
    I know some people and government say well it's higher costs, vat etc... here in the south but it still doesn't add up, it's just pure greed and profiteering here.

As for the recent loyalty and patriotism thing the media and government liked shouting about, my loyalty and patriotism starts with myself, my family and my pocket first and foremost. As for our government showing the same for the people of Ireland and helping us in these harsh times, I just can't see it, our own TD/Minister Dermot Ahern is more concerned about resettling and offering homes to prisoners from Guantanamo Bay :mad:. What about all the money our own government has wasted and still wasting.

I work a fairly regular job, live with my gf and we're paying the equivalent of a mortgage every month. I'm not trying to lecture people or have a go at them for shopping over the border. Things are tight for me too! Just so you don't think I'm some kind of rich snob. :pac:

I completely understand your predicament.

I work a fairly regular job, live with my gf and we're paying the equivalent of a mortgage every month. I'm not trying to lecture people or have a go at them for shopping over the border. Things are tight for me too! Just so you don't think I'm some kind of rich snob. :pac:

I completely understand your predicament.
    I didn't think of you as that :), I know some people that are finding it hard to make ends meet and refuse to spend their money up north, it's their choice (a stubborn choice if you ask me) but for me and many others that have families and less money coming in, going cross-border makes a lot of sense and the savings pays the bills.

Thank god I don't have a mortgage (was considering it this time last year but chose not too) or a fancy car, they would of been long gone by now for me.

All of the trade that is going up north will and is to some extent having a knock on effect here on business but it's not the source of the problem nor is it the sole cause for places closing. Businesses, services and governmet just got too blinded and greedy by the "celtic tiger boom" and now that times have change they are either too stupid or still greedy that they will not lower costs here, it can be and must be done if our economy is to survive but by the looks of things we have the wrong government to do it and before long it will be too late to make such a change.

People also have to take respsonsibilty for their own actions. Banks didn't force anybody to buy houses they couldnt afford, or brand new Mercs and holiday homes in France. We can't blame bankers and politicians for everything. Greed and snobbery got the better of a lot of people.

Greed and snobbery got the better of a lot of people.
    With out a doubt and they are paying the price now, and there was me thinking I was smart with the bit of money I did have and putting it into a retirement bond, bad idea that was.

People also have to take respsonsibilty for their own actions. Banks didn't force anybody to buy houses they couldnt afford, or brand new Mercs and holiday homes in France. We can't blame bankers and politicians for everything.

Yeah thats very true as well, everyone tried getting on the property ladder, what they didn't realize was once they were on the ladder all it took was one cock up at the top and everyone comes tumbling down.

As for the banks, well we wont even start discussing that, we all just began living way beyond our means, and we must take responsibility, and the Government really does need to step up and take some positive action.
    Raising the VAT rate was a huge mistake seeing as the Brits lowered theirs, that further encouraged people to go North, and now they want to introduce tuition fees between €4000 and €8000, as well as a Graduate Tax which will apply for 10 years after you graduate. People will simply stop going to colleges and when we work our way out of this recession we wont have people qualified to do the jobs and end up worse then we are now.

I realize thats a little off topic but it was used as an example of some of the negative measures the Government is trying to implement.

Personally I cannot offer a solution to the problem but I do know that what they are doing is insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WarrenpointPat

This is my first post on the forum and it seems a very interesting place. I'm a Warrenpoint man but my late mum was really a Co Louth woman with Dundalk / Louth / Mullaghcrew connections !

How many times over the years have fortunes changed on both sides of the border? I can remember shopping frequently in Dundalk in the days that the 'old' shopping centre seemed bright and beautiful....long time ago now ! . THe Marshes is a wonderful place but I could not afford to shop there !

Until quite recently I would , like many other drivers be filling up at Dundalk or Omeath....not so now as it is hardly worth the effort ! I just feel so sorry for the staff of shops that are closing and it looks like it will be getting much worse before it starts to get better. I do think there is a strong arguement for governments north and south to try to harmonise the tax systems but that of course would get the hackles up among certain politicians !

Currently I think Newry and other border towns are benefitting from a false sense of security that is masking the true effect of the recession...but it will come !

In Newry it is the large multi-national shops that are benefitting and when you leave aside the wages they are paying, the profit is all heading straight back to wealthy share holders across the globe..not to locals ! The small family owned shops in Newry are not really benefitting. Now the talk is that Tesco is planning a store on the Downshire Road / Belfast Road area of Newry. Asda is desperate to get in on the act (I frequently shop in Asda in Kilkeel and often see many Co Louth cars heading through Warrenpoint and on down to the car park at Asda. These large multi-nationals don't really care about the community...fair enough they pay wages but they usually are about killing the opposition and when the local shops are gone they put their prices up. I have also noticed a difference between some of their prices in Newry and other parts of Northen Ireland...I suspect they feel they can get away with charging more in Newry as the shoppers from the south will buy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

I wonder how long this can go on for tbh .Drogheda is really feeling this aswell , not as much as dundalk obviously but its enough that lots of the business in town is really hurting from it .At the some time we have a brand new tesco and aldi store just opened .I work in Belfast and have noticed a big rise in southern reg cars going into the city .Can blame anyone for going to get bargains though , children to feed etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Superquinn employs 67 in Dundalk, lidl employ 21 in a slightly smaller store, superquinn employ people to pack your bags! sad to see them go but hey were overstaffed and didnt have range of other supermarkets. Cdworld are still hanging on in that centre. That end of town is in pretty bad shape with half Clanbrasil Street shuttered up or tacky stores, with penneys only staying the long walk becuase they coulnt break their lease, the futures not too good for that spot either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fun4a11

Was that area not meant to redeveloped?

Look at this topic from a few months ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366498

Advertisement