Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Dundalk to close

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Does Dundalk really need so many half empty shopping centres?
    The original shopping centre has been slowly dying for years. Tesco are supposedly going to take it over and open a superstore, but we really need a shop that big in these times?
    The long walk is as about as inviting as any of the pubs in Bridge St. Thanks but no thanks.
    The other one where Superquinn is located has been very quiet for years, there were rumours of Superquinns demise for years, sadly it came true this week. The rest of the shops wont be there in 6 months.
    As a previous poster has said, the Marshes is very expensive, if the shop owners want to continue with their crazy prices, the Marshes will go the same way as the rest of them. The Northern branches of most of the multi-nationals in town are usually 30-40% percent cheaper, people are voting with their wallets in these times. Patriotism, like charity begins at home.
    We were in Sainsburys in Newry this evening, the shelves were almost bare. Anything worth buying had gone, it had been picked bare by southern shoppers, taking advantage not only of the favourable exchange rates, but more importantly the much cheaper prices 13 miles up the road. If Dundalk town centre is to have a future, our local minister is going to have to sit down with his government cronies and work something out, not just for this town, but for every town in the country. They turned a blind eye when rip off Ireland was nothing more than a cash cow for the Government coffers, but now that funds are running low and calls for patriotism in shoppers is falling on deaf ears they are going to have to do something and do it quickly.
    The loss of Superquinn is just the start, there will be many more job losses in town in the coming months. Our TDs may not be in danger of losing their jobs because of the economic downturn, but they will be calling to ask for our votes sometime in the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

i really am going to miss those sausages and the bread:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Superquinn opening back up in CV ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Superquinn opening back up in CV ?

Source?

Source?
    I was told by a friend, something to do with a lease and it's more financially viable for them to honor it and reopen the store than pulling out and paying it off.

Until I see it printed in a paper for now it's not 100%, just thought someone else here might have heard the same and could verify it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I was told by a friend, something to do with a lease and it's more financially viable for them to honor it and reopen the store than pulling out and paying it off.

Until I see it printed in a paper for now it's not 100%, just thought someone else here might have heard the same and could verify it.

I didn't hear anything but I imagine they would have sorted that out before vacating and paying redundancies etc.

Would love to see them back though.

I didn't hear anything but I imagine they would have sorted that out before vacating and paying redundancies etc.
    That's what I thought too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Heard it 2 weeks ago from a former employee who was offered her job back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

it would be great if it opened again- it would be a lot handier for me as i love going there as a treat every now and again.

it's a bit mad choosing to shop in the south i know, but there are no upmarket supermarkets in the north!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

they(superquinn) have a 15 year lease to honour,in fact THEY have been pushing for some other "chain" to take it over.Carroll Village have rightly taken them down the legal road and now it looks like SQ will have to move back in themselves,ala Pennys when they tried to close in the Longwalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

they(superquinn) have a 15 year lease to honour,in fact THEY have been pushing for some other "chain" to take it over.Carroll Village have rightly taken them down the legal road and now it looks like SQ will have to move back in themselves,ala Pennys when they tried to close in the Longwalk.

Yes,that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

it'll be great if they came back... I was in there the other day (using the car park for the cinema) for the first time in a year. Its shocking in there, 3 stores open and little cafe anne still battering away against the odds! be good to see it getting a new lease of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Heard that the ex Halifax staff have gotten jobs there but the terms and conditions are not great. Minimum wage and no sick pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gonker wrote: »
    Heard that the ex Halifax staff have gotten jobs there ...

Oh come on! So some people who worked in Halifax are getting jobs there. So are some people who used to work for Superquinn before it closed. So are people who worked in neither. Only some people who worked in Halifax have been offered jobs but by no means all of them. Maybe I'm being a pedant but I hate exaggeration. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Superquinn opened their first supermarket in Clanbrassil St. Dundalk in 1960.
    It would be ironic that they are forced back to the town on their 50th anniversary:p
    It might not be all bad for them though,Pennys(ditto the above)are going ok in the Longwalk.
    During the "BOOM" a lot of buissneses moved out of towns,to retail parks and the same was true in Dundalk.That trend seems to be on the reverse now and Dundalk is a good example of this.Several such outfits have come back to the town centre including Wogans,Marmions and C-Discount @dearys.My opinion is that Heatons should have taken over Dearys or Toymaster(clanbrassil st.) instead of heading out the road to retail hell.
    There is a good positive vibrancy now in the town centre and long may it continue.

ps-hello Dunny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Oh come on! So some people who worked in Halifax are getting jobs there. So are some people who used to work for Superquinn before it closed. So are people who worked in neither. Only some people who worked in Halifax have been offered jobs but by no means all of them. Maybe I'm being a pedant but I hate exaggeration. ;)

I said I heard that the ex Halifax staff have gotten jobs there. Not ALL the ex Halifax staff have gotten jobs there I didn't say no one else got jobs there I was just posting some good news for a change regarding the jobs market...who burst your balloon?:rolleyes: :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 workstoomuch

when does superquinn reopen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

So SuperQuinn in Dundalk has been ordered to reopen. Anybody have any idea when hiring will take place? There should be over 60 jobs available, a mixture of full-time and part-time. Expect there to be stiff competition for them though.

The whole Carroll Village complex is dead as we all know. Do you think the re-opening of SuperQuinn will stimulate the opening of new businesses in the other vacant retail units? Budget Travel, the Bus Stop newsagents....they've all since closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sylvesterallein

Superquinn Greystones are a lot cheaper than Tesco same place for gluten-free products, particularly bread. I hope they don't close.

Advertisement