Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buy bike in NI or UK?

• 21-01-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello,

Was into bikes a few years back - had a few over the years too.

Looking to get a bike at the moment. Am thinking VFR 750 but maybe a fazer 600. anyway, looking around on websites etc - prices seem a good deal cheaper in the UK, dearer in Northern Ireland and dearest here. Have been looking on autotrader uk amongst other sites. can get a 97 VFR for about 1700 sterling, same bike here seems to be going for around 3500 euro (both prices are dealer prices).

i've also noticed a lot of dealers here are selling bikes and when you look at the pictures on their websites they're english reg - so i'm hoping to cut out the middle man so to speak and go direct to UK - obviously NI would be a lot handier.

So anyway, I was wondering can anyone recommend any major bike dealers in NI or UK?? Like somewhere that would have so many second hand bikes that I might pick up something if the bike I was interested in fell through.....

Any other advice or comments gratefully received.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 celtic-tiger

Top Bikes, Bristol. Bought a Triumph Tiger off them couple of weeks ago. Good guys, google them and you'll find them. Also dealt with Bevans Motorcycles, Cardiff for accessories and fittings.

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I've been using this link for finding UK/NI dealers,

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/lists/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, I've bought a lot -too many - over the years, and imported them all.

Bar the last one. I'm finding there's good value here now.

Just my 0.02

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Theres agreen vfr 750 1997 MINT for 2grand on www.donedeal.ie mate-u wont do better then that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

thanks for all the replies.

found a few UK sites that look promising.

• Advertisement

actually might go for a VTR 1000. seems to be a huge selection in UK for under the two grand mark. thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....VTR, nice bike. Alco on juice though, with a small tank......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

yeah i always remember hearing the VTR was fond of the juice alright. when looking at bike reviews though, they say the VTR does 35mpg compared to say 38 for the CBR 600F and 39 for the VFR 750, so i suppose its not too bad.

just need to decide now whether its worth going to the UK to get one for about 1600 sterling or pay about 2500 here. plane fare, ferry back etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

eBay FTW. Bought 3 bikes now. Plenty of bikes available within easy reach of Manchester airport (which has direct rail connection) and two early morning flights mean fares are usually competitive. Ferry with a bike costs feck all. The petrol will cost more than anything and even that is a lot cheaper now than last year given the weak sterling. I went as far as Sheffield this way, train takes an hour. Did the deal and rode back over the Pennines. Easily made it for the 14.00 ferry from Holyhead. Back in Dublin for tea time. If you get nice weather the spin across the A55 can be quite pleasant with nice views. You don't need to reseve the ferry tickets when travelling with a bike-they'll always have a space for you soemwhere. Just turn up at Holyhead and pick the next departure. You don't want to be rushing for a particular departure.

thanks everyone for all the tips.

am looking at two bikes tomorrow - in ireland. if they dont work out i'll head over. thanks murphap for the comments on the ferry etc - very handy to know. and yeah, i'd figured manchester was probably where i'd go alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement