Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Pro Boot Problem

• 21-01-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello, I;m trying to format my computer and freshly install XP Pro.

I'm booting XP from the CD drive but when I get to the section to format the partitions I just get "Unkown Disk - there is no disk in this drive" messages.

I've looked around online and seemingly this is because its a SATA drive. I've read that if it is emulated as an IDE drive then it should work. How can I do this? Has anyone got any other ideas?

This is my first format so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

It may be possible to change the way the drive operates in the computers BIOS. When you start up the machine it will usually tell you how to enter setup e.g. "Press F2 to enter setup". Usually F2 or Del anyway. (Message may flash uip very quickly too). You may try and get in there and see can you see an option to change from SATA or maybe AHCI to IDE. If you could give more info regarding make/model of computer/motherboard I could get more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Make a floppy with the SATA driver if there is no IDE emulation option in Bios.

There is a way to get XP install to ask for a floppy driver for storage during install (needed for NT since 1993 for RAID controllers).

If you run the command on CD to make the set of 3 XP boot floppies, then Install asks for CD and for Floppy extra Drivers, But I think f8 or something when booting CD allows the option.

Some PCs with SATA simply can't be installed with XP without the SATA driver on a floppy. I have done the above, but using the 3 boot floppies to start the CD.

You can if very expert and having another PC make a custom Slipstream XP install CD with latest SP and any required drivers such as SATA etc. I did this once, for a different reason and it's painful to get right.

If you have no floppy then you need a BIOS and USB flash drive that co-operate to pretend to be a Floppy. (Drive A or B).

Simply DOS format the floppy (not bootable) and copy all the SATA drivers files from MoBo CD or Internet to the "root" of the floppy in existing folder structure if there are sub folders.

You can't swap CD while installing NT/Win2k/XP, hence the need for Floppy.

Alternatively put a 4G to 200G PATA/IDE drive as main drive, install XP to this and use the SATA for everything else, including installing extra applications. Rename the SATA used as a 2nd driver to H:, K: or something so adding other devices later does not change its drive letter and break application installs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Thanks very much for the prompt replies.

Unfortunately I do not have a floppy drive so am in the middle of slipstreaming the boot cd now. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the motherboard and drive model. Does anyone know a quick way to find out? I just need it to get the appropriate drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could mention the pc make and model ;)

or if you haven't formatted yet , look in device manager to see what the controller is listed as

Quick update, I have discovered that the motherboard is made by Elitegroup Computer Systems with a model number ECS RC410-M2.

So I have visited their site and have downloaded the BIOS drivers for it. Is this the right thing to download?

When I downloaded them they were rar files which I have extracted to give ROM files. I'm not sure what to open these with and nlite (which I'm using to create the custom install CD) does not recognise the format. I need .inf files apparently. How can I access whats in the ROM files?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No , the BIOS drivers are not the ones you need

something like hard drive controller

Ha sorry, it's an Acer Aspire.

Ok cool, seeing as I haven't formatted it yet would it be possible to locate the driver through device manager and just use that? Or would I have to go to the manufacturers site to get it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ha sorry, it's an Acer Aspire.

Whats the exact model number mate?

Sorry it's an Acer Aspire T650-8B7E.

I've found a SATA controller driver diskette download for it now, is that what you meant Capt'n Midnight? They appear to be .inf files and show up in nlite also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry it's an Acer Aspire T650-8B7E.

I've found a SATA controller driver diskette download for it now, is that what you meant Capt'n Midnight? They appear to be .inf files and show up in nlite also.

Thats the one you need alright. ;)

• Advertisement

Cool, I'm trying it now. Sorry if I sound like such a noob at this, it's cos I am one :pac:

Yeah that's the one I got. Just burning the custom disc now so hopefully all will go okay. Thanks very much for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Worked perfectly, thanks very much everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's advanced installing of windows making your own disk. Next you can try Gentoo from sources :)

Advertisement