Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AIB Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Bullish wrote: »
    Off 3% at the moment any news, very low volume, also took a dip to 2.20

yea, ire banks very volitile, Looks likely Lenihan could announce upto 40-50% discount fig for toxic assets and allong with only part paying for soured assets with any further payments linked to any improvement in economy, Investors are very wary as threat of "full nationalisation" still looms for aib-boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭heno55

is there much significance in the fact that jpmorgan bought over 3% in aib today ,would anyone see this as a vote of confidence in nama or just a speculative punt

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Bullish

Heno have you a link to that.. That would be some punt??
    anyone any evidence of this

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭heno55

not to sure how to create a link but you will find it in company announcements on the irish stock exchange site at 16.40 yesterday

heno55 wrote: »
    not to sure how to create a link but you will find it in company announcements on the irish stock exchange site at 16.40 yesterday

sp will be well up in morn, 30% discount, markets will like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ranger4 wrote: »
    sp will be well up in morn, 30% discount, markets will like.

Everyone knew the discount would be approx 30% before now, so I imagine it has already been factored in tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Not true, check out both ADR's. The flood gates are well and truly open now.

Very nice bounce, would be carefull though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paulfoley

Hi
    I bought aib shares for the first time a few months ago at 75c. Should I sell at this stage? I have never bought shares before and have no idea how to play this. I would appreciate some advice and you guys seem to know what you are talking about! I am getting married in a years time and some extra cash would come in handy, but maybe if I waited till closer to the time I would get more? What do you guys think will happen?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

you will probably get married have children they will go to school and grow up you and the wife will probably grow old together(hopefully) pretty much the same as any other relationship

p.s.
    make sure you still get to watch champions league(don't back down on this)
    and whatever you do don't say cornation street is ok(my biggest mistake)

but thats just my view there is alot more people on here with alot more experience than me

• Advertisement

Thank you for that. You are probably right. But will I be richer if I wait? That way I can buy two televisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

paulfoley wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought aib shares for the first time a few months ago at 75c. Should I sell at this stage? I have never bought shares before and have no idea how to play this. I would appreciate some advice and you guys seem to know what you are talking about! I am getting married in a years time and some extra cash would come in handy, but maybe if I waited till closer to the time I would get more? What do you guys think will happen?
    Thanks in advance.

Seems pretty obvious to me:

1) If you like locking in 350 - 400 % profit gains in just a few months - then Sell

2) If you like taking risks on investments you admittedly know nothing about - then Hold

Thank you for your advice. I am going to sell. Should I sell immediately? Or wait a few days. I know it is hard to call, but you guys probably know where it is going to go (hopefully!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Aren't you just asking the same question over again?

If you want someone to tell you where the top is going to be that's not going to happen. Nobody knows where the top is going to be so since you invested in something you know nothing about and had a nice result your only questions should be are you happy with the profit you have now or are you willing to risk a little of that profit in the hopes of further gains.

The problem with taking your decisions from an internet message board is that there will be differing opinions and how would you know who's advice to trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sell at 3.20 or 4 whichever comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

paulfoley,

I am in a similar position to you in that I am relatively new to the idea of investing in shares. I think the whole country got interested in shares in the last year as it has affected the country so much how the banks have been doing. I wouldn't place much faith in what you are told on this forum as most regular stock market players that use this forum ran a mile from banking shares quite a while ago. There is still a large risk in buying or selling banking shares in Ireland, possibly high reward aswell. I personally think I will hold my shares as a long term investment. If they offer a rights issue in the next few months you could increase your shareholding at a cheap rate or you could take some of the cash for your rights. If there is private investment or asset sell off I would say the price will also rise so I personally see more upside for the stock. However, if you need the cash then you should just take the gain now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 duracell

ranger4 wrote: »
    Very nice bounce, would be carefull though.

Nice bounce indeed. What are the projections for tomorrow everyone. ADRS trading fairly flat so far todayISEQ has come back a bit late this afternnoon.

Well in the first post I was asking whether to wait a few years or sell now and in the second, I had decided to sell in the next few days and I was asking whether to wait a few days or sell today. Maybe a stupid question...I don't know.

I know no one knows for sure where the top is going to be, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion or some insights to share on what to do. When I read the other posts on the forum, you all seemed to know what you were talking about, and I was hoping everyone was honest enough to give me good advice to the best of their knowledge.

I appreciate any advice you have given me so far and as you both said, I should be happy about making a profit in something I know nothing about. And I am.

I will probably sell tomorrow.

Thank you NEDDURC. I will sleep on it tonight. Thanks for your advice. :)

NEDDURC wrote: »
    paulfoley,

I am in a similar position to you in that I am relatively new to the idea of investing in shares. I think the whole country got interested in shares in the last year as it has affected the country so much how the banks have been doing. I wouldn't place much faith in what you are told on this forum as most regular stock market players that use this forum ran a mile from banking shares quite a while ago. There is still a large risk in buying or selling banking shares in Ireland, possibly high reward aswell. I personally think I will hold my shares as a long term investment. If they offer a rights issue in the next few months you could increase your shareholding at a cheap rate or you could take some of the cash for your rights. If there is private investment or asset sell off I would say the price will also rise so I personally see more upside for the stock. However, if you need the cash then you should just take the gain now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

as most regular stock market players that use this forum ran a mile from banking shares quite a while ago.

I think thats a very harsh statement. They are not happy taking a punt on a stock and just hoping for the best if thats what you mean!
    Just because someone buys these shares at say €0.50 and sells for €3.00, this doesnt mean they are an investment guru, or even that it was a good investment in a way (they could have gone broke)!..all it is really is a punt.

These people are trained to study a company and determaine wheather it would be a good investment or not.AIB and BOI were too risky and had nothing really going for them...

personally i did actually buy into both banks not too far of their lows and sold around €2, but i wouldnt consider it a great investment, i just got lucky and thats it!...

• Advertisement

Daragh101 wrote: »
    as most regular stock market players that use this forum ran a mile from banking shares quite a while ago.

I think thats a very harsh statement. They are not happy taking a punt on a stock and just hoping for the best if thats what you mean!
    Just because someone buys these shares at say €0.50 and sells for €3.00, this doesnt mean they are an investment guru, or even that it was a good investment in a way (they could have gone broke)!..all it is really is a punt.

These people are trained to study a company and determaine wheather it would be a good investment or not.AIB and BOI were too risky and had nothing really going for them...

personally i did actually buy into both banks not too far of their lows and sold around €2, but i wouldnt consider it a great investment, i just got lucky and thats it!...

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

paulfoley wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice. I am going to sell. Should I sell immediately? Or wait a few days. I know it is hard to call, but you guys probably know where it is going to go (hopefully!).

hi paul

like yourself , i am by no means a seasoned investor but here is how i read it , shares made massive gains in the past 24 hrs for one reason , the state gave a huge handout or leg up to the banks , nothing in the wider economy contributed to this huge rise , the rises were not in anway achieved on merit so it is highly unlikely that such gains will continue for very long as the broader economy is on the floor , i would say wait no longer than the middle of next week at the very latest as thier will be thousands of people like you who simply got lucky due to a once off state intervention , a big sell off is inevitable in the days to come

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

i honestly think people have to realize that buying BOI and AIB shares since september 08 have been gambles and nothing else. yes seasoned investors sold out and most if not all have yet to buy back in, they are like bookmakers they dont get it wrong that much.

look at pocketdooz his job is to research companies and pass to the traders and most of you know his stance on the banks and in a way i agree with him.... but i love a punt especially at long odds!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrsJohnMurphy

For my first ever buy, I gambled 1400 quid on AIB at the end of Jan @ 1.29.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58812578&postcount=78

At the moment I have a paper profit of 2k.

Id expect a dip tomorrow as some end of the week profit taking kicks in maybe.

Id guess there is going to be plenty of volatility in the price over the next few months if the last few months is anything to go by. I kinda think I should really sell now and buy back in when they have droped 50 or 60 cents, but who knows?

For my next punt I intend to throw 3K into GE and again sit tight and wait, if they double over the next few years I'll have a nice few bob spending money for my next trip to the states. Should be able to buy plenty of cheap jeans and runners in Woodbury Common with that wedge :cool:

mjm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

For my first ever buy, I gambled 1400 quid on AIB at the end of Jan @ 1.29.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58812578&postcount=78

At the moment I have a paper profit of 2k.

Id expect a dip tomorrow as some end of the week profit taking kicks in maybe.

Id guess there is going to be plenty of volatility in the price over the next few months if the last few months is anything to go by. I kinda think I should really sell now and buy back in when they have droped 50 or 60 cents, but who knows?

For my next punt I intend to throw 3K into GE and again sit tight and wait, if they double over the next few years I'll have a nice few bob spending money for my next trip to the states. Should be able to buy plenty of cheap jeans and runners in Woodbury Common with that wedge :cool:

mjm

Fair play, imo sell!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blanuk!

Hey Guys, im new here as ye may notice but im looking for advise and ye seem to know what ye are on about! I bought 9000 aib shares early in the year with my €5000 investment money, it was my first time share dealing, soon after i sold them and bought again and this went on a good few times but now i have no shares but my €5000 is now €8000 so i cant complain with that even do it would be around €30000 now if i never sold! My question is where do ye reckon the share price will go over the next 6 months? I hear a lot of talk of bank share prices going way down again in november due to bad news expected from the banking sector in america or is there any truth in this? I want to buy aib shares again maybe as a long term investment this time but i dont know should i buy now in case they only keep going up after nama or do i wait and see if there is a serious drop in the months ahead? I do understand none of ye have crystal balls but some advise would be very much apreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Blanuk! wrote: »
    I do understand none of ye have crystal balls but some advise would be very much apreciated!

Welcome to the forum. First of all, please read this.

Next, €8k for most people is three months' salary. Would you buy a car for €8k if you half-suspected it might break down in three months and be useless to you?

Three months' salary -- it's worth your while spending €20 on a book on learning fundamentals.

You might make money on bank shares (and lots of people have) but really it's a game of Russian roulette. You'll look like an absolute hero five times out of six... then you buy Anglo.

Really stop and think about the downside before you touch the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 j1010

I have supplied to AIB items procured by a Design company under contract to them in Dublin. This company, a very well know & healthy one i may add just will not pay for the items saying they have no money although admitting being paid a long time back themselves. There is no question of quality or late delivery simply they have no money.I now have to seek a high court judgment to get paid. When I have the judgement i assume this will compromise the contract in place or will AIB continue to support this company enabling them to continue in this practice with other suppliers.

j1010 wrote: »
    I have supplied to AIB items procured by a Design company under contract to them in Dublin. This company, a very well know & healthy one i may add just will not pay for the items saying they have no money although admitting being paid a long time back themselves. There is no question of quality or late delivery simply they have no money.I now have to seek a high court judgment to get paid. When I have the judgement i assume this will compromise the contract in place or will AIB continue to support this company enabling them to continue in this practice with other suppliers.

hard to see why you posted this in an investment forum

unless your saying that aib is broke and get your money out fast but i think we already know that the banks are in a bad way here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 j1010

lucky-colm wrote: »
    hard to see why you posted this in an investment forum

Apologies - misread the board i posted on as was previously reading another one an hour or so before hand !!

Advertisement