Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AIB Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

he would im sure, but im also sure he's currently at a loss

Currently down overall with my boi stock but in profit with my aerlingus and petroceltic and other stocks, I would guess most of my slaggers are at more of a loss with their holdings.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Hi Ranger

Im not one of your "slaggers".

You are down on a bank that we discuss here regularly when it jumps, not so much when it falls. I get zero pleasure in the fact that you are losing money on this stock either.

For the record i don't want to see either bank nationalized, as i think this will have a negative effect on the economy as a whole. But there is now a very real possibility that one if not both banks could be majority government owned by Q2/Q3 2010.

RE the other shares in companies that you own, congratulations, but 2009 seems to have been a year when there were very very few losers, from looking at charts and yearly low/highs it seems to me anyone who bought Q1 should be seeing very significant returns.

Anyway Ranger best of luck for 2010;)

Hi Ranger

Im not one of your "slaggers".

You are down on a bank that we discuss here regularly when it jumps, not so much when it falls. I get zero pleasure in the fact that you are losing money on this stock either.

For the record i don't want to see either bank nationalized, as i think this will have a negative effect on the economy as a whole. But there is now a very real possibility that one if not both banks could be majority government owned by Q2/Q3 2010.

RE the other shares in companies that you own, congratulations, but 2009 seems to have been a year when there were very very few losers, from looking at charts and yearly low/highs it seems to me anyone who bought Q1 should be seeing very significant returns.

Anyway Ranger best of luck for 2010;)

Sure was some upside since march Lows alright, We are due a correction after such a huge increase from march Lows, what percentage of drop and when this will occur who knows but a few traders i know feel correction could occur Q1 2010 with possible 10-20% fall, I might be down with my boi but smurfit has been very good to me, All the best for your 2010 trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

ranger4 wrote: »
    Sure was some upside since march Lows alright, We are due a correction after such a huge increase from march Lows, what percentage of drop and when this will occur who knows but a few traders i know feel correction could occur Q1 2010 with possible 10-20% fall, I might be down with my boi but smurfit has been very good to me, All the best for your 2010 trading.

Ranger, do you work in finance?

pocketdooz wrote: »
    Ranger, do you work in finance?

Hello Pocketdooz, I personally do not work in finance but have a few friends who do. Happy xmas.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Hello Pocketdooz, I personally do not work in finance but have a few friends who do. Happy xmas.

Seems like you are very interested in it which is 3/4 of the battle - seems like you would be suited to it.

Happy Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Bullish wrote: »
    IXUS are you long AIB by any chance ?

You must not be familiar with my postings. I've been bearish as long as I can remember. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

AIB doing well lately. 1.60 at the minute.

From today's Indo:

"Banks were in the vanguard of advancing stocks as investors piled increasingly into hopes that both Allied Irish Banks and Bank of Ireland will be able to carry out successful rights issues over the coming months."

Does anyone know how the rights issue works? AFAIK if a company goes ahead with a rights issue, then existing shareholders can buy shares at a cheaper price than everybody else.

What do I do to show I am a shareholder when buying the shares with AIB online share dealing? Has anybody bought shares via a rights issue before?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

You will receive documentation from either your broker or the registrar (depending on whether you have your own crest account or an nominee account) advising that you can purchase X amount of shs at the set price.
    If you want to go ahead with it, then I guess you fill in the form and attached some form of payment and they will process it all for you.

Floodzie wrote: »
    AIB doing well lately. 1.60 at the minute.

From today's Indo:

"Banks were in the vanguard of advancing stocks as investors piled increasingly into hopes that both Allied Irish Banks and Bank of Ireland will be able to carry out successful rights issues over the coming months."

Does anyone know how the rights issue works? AFAIK if a company goes ahead with a rights issue, then existing shareholders can buy shares at a cheaper price than everybody else.

What do I do to show I am a shareholder when buying the shares with AIB online share dealing? Has anybody bought shares via a rights issue before?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Bullish

Do I hear drums on this thread :D

Aib is up 53250450% is it a good time to buy ?

Tiesto wrote: »
    You will receive documentation from either your broker or the registrar (depending on whether you have your own crest account or an nominee account) advising that you can purchase X amount of shs at the set price.
    If you want to go ahead with it, then I guess you fill in the form and attached some form of payment and they will process it all for you.

Great, thanks for the info. So will the price be set at a fixed value or a % discount from whatever the price at the time is?

Cheers.

Bullish wrote: »
    Do I hear drums on this thread :D

Aib is up 53250450% is it a good time to buy ?

Actually, Christmas was a great time to buy. I bought in Nov so I'm still down about 20%... Grounds for optimism, though.

Floodzie wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the info. So will the price be set at a fixed value or a % discount from whatever the price at the time is?

Cheers.

It will be a set price.
    The number of shs you are offered will depend on your current holding on a particular date.
    It could be something like 4 to 1 . So for every 4 shs you hold, you can buy one at the set discounted price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cryhavoc

ok, so I've been trading with aib and boi for last couple of months, altogether made 14k so far (thats after 3k that i lost:D)..
    the longest i would keep them is about a 2 weeks...i just sell when i make about 10%profit...im aming to accumulate more cash to minimize the risk and be able to sell after change of max 3% ...(have to do it from the start again as bought a house _got the deposit money from earnings:cool:)
    the price there is changing on a daily basis so much that there is no point in waiting and tryin to make bigger gains..
    so far so good and daily trading is the best option i think and its not that risky as buyin and keepin them for ages,,
    on a few occasions i bought and sold few times a day makin small gain each time but ending the day with say 500e profit...i trade with goodbody on aib ac
    the cost of transactions is high but im happy enough to make my money
    im defo looking on other markets as well though but will stick to these as long as the prices are so volatile...
    good luck to eveybody::)))

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

cryhavoc wrote: »
    ok, so I've been trading with aib and boi for last couple of months, altogether made 14k so far (thats after 3k that i lost:D)..))

Hi cryhavoc, that is nice money, just wondering though is the 14k including or exluding capital gains tax?

How much money do you invest each time you buy into the shares?

To me, when you take broker fees, stamp duty and capital gains into consideration you would need to be investing queit a large amount to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cryhavoc

that's after the tax:)

well i started with 1k when boi was 23c..
    when i started again a month ago i had 5k and made 25% gain so far
    as i said im trading with goodbody they do charge a lot and typical cost with of a trade (buy+sale) would be around 200 when trading with 5 to 6k...so at the moment i need the price to get up at least 7% to make few euro..in case of 6k i can make ~220e on this before tax
    so im tryin to get more cash at the moment to have say 20k to trade with as this would make me be able to gain that on price change of around 2,5%..now that happens al the time so thats where the money is ::))
    besides just looking at the charts when somebody buys 20k the price in most cases goes up a few cents.....
    for those who talk about nationalisation regarding irish banks...the risk involved in trading with their shares is quite big ,,,but then again when trading daily or keepin them for just a few days you can make your profit and wait for another chance..i suppose all will agree that shares of irish banks seem to have their own prices rules regardless to what sometimes is actually happening or the news regarding them...many times they would go up eventhough the news were not good ..i did have a few losses but that was only at the start when i did not realise that..
    anyway in times like this the best option is definitely short term / daily trading with these...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eugene M

This thread is for the discussion of things AIB. Please post any questions/comments regarding AIB you have in this thread instead of making a new thread.

Thanks.
    anybody have any views on now being a good time to buy aib or boi shares

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

if it was my money i would not buy AIB or BOI, but i would buy Smurfit Kappa.

• Advertisement

I bought more of the ISEQ etf yesterday
    good or bad idea? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

I bought more of the ISEQ etf yesterday
    good or bad idea? :rolleyes:

if i wanted to take a punt on bank shares - that's probably a safe way to do it

Well I wanted to gain some exposure to the banks, but I also see there are some results coming out in a few weeks which I think may cause some gains..

10-Feb Smurfit Kappa Q4 Results Paper & Packaging
    10-Mar Tullow Oil FY Results Oil & Gas Producers
    15-Mar ARYZTA H1 Results Food & Beverage

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

How to buy ISEQ etf?
    I have goodbody only share dealing a/c.

Well I know Sharewatch doesnt allow trading of ETF's on the online platform. I had to call them to make the order. Probably the same situation with Goodbodys.

Composition file can be found here
    http://www.ncb.ie/wealth_management/iseq20_etf_portfolio_composition.shtml

Nice advantage is that you dont have to pay Stamp on it @ 1% like most Irish equities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Both banks will be nationalised (75%+ Government Ownership) within the next 8 months.

Apparently davy believe the state ownership for either bank wont exceed 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Massive, massive pinch of salt needed

well that's great because they already own preference shares paying 8%, have warrants to own 25% and have € 7 billion of equity in them.

• Advertisement

pocketdooz wrote: »
    well that's great because they already own preference shares paying 8%, have warrants to own 25% and have € 7 billion of equity in them.

yeah but they havent exercised the warrant yet have they...

Advertisement