Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AIB Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Id say a merger between aib-boi is on the cards, if this happens will the exsisiting shareholders stock be worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

ranger4 wrote: »
    Id say a merger between aib-boi is on the cards, if this happens will the exsisiting shareholders stock be worthless.

Have you any basis for that?

Idu wrote: »
    Have you any basis for that?

former chief ex of boi mike souden has put idea forward, I would imagine the banks would fight tooth and nail against it, the gov have yet to inject the 7 billion into the banks why are they waiting, Confidence with investors for the banks is at a alltime low, the banks could be forced to merge otherwise be taken over and fully nationalised.

ah right, didnt see that story this morning obviously.

I dont see how a merger would work though without massive job cuts and there's no way the government would sanction that

ah right, didnt see that story this morning obviously.

I dont see how a merger would work though without massive job cuts and there's no way the government would sanction that

Souden also suggested that the gov take a 51% stake in both banks so as to have a majority stake in each bank whilest not fully nationalising them, Looks like a retest of lows set a few weeks back is almost here with the two banks, how much longer can they both trade at thease levels before all investor confidence is lost, souden also suggested that the gov should buy shares in both banks as to try and instill some confidence with new investors.

• Advertisement

Souden also suggested that the gov take a 51% stake in both banks so as to have a majority stake in each bank whilest not fully nationalising them, Looks like a retest of lows set a few weeks back is almost here with the two banks, how much longer can they both trade at thease levels before all investor confidence is lost, souden also suggested that the gov should buy shares in both banks as to try and instill some confidence with new investors.

There is no investor confidence. The only people trading these stocks at these levels are gamblers looking to make some quick easy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭-mr.x-

cant seem to understand why a merger would have such a negative effect on the share price

There is no investor confidence. The only people trading these stocks at these levels are gamblers looking to make some quick easy money.

aib up 20% today, could be on way to another bear rally, wonder will it hit last rally high of 1.70 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I took a gamble with i/perm and aib 1.40 and 70c. I'm a gambler, the days of an investor are over for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

aib up 20% today, could be on way to another bear rally, wonder will it hit last rally high of 1.70 range.

Yes, it probably will. The real question though is when ? And what are you missing out on by locking your money up in AIB etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

AIB at 57cent just now.
    It's a mess. The only people getting involved are those looking to make a quick buck.
    I can't believe that anyone can be buying this stock now as a long term investment.
    If I bought in now it would be all sold if it got to 80 and then in another week it may be down to 50 again and we dive in again.
    I've been nearly in and out with BOI and AIB but the thing is that no-one seems to know what is happening.
    It might be worth a punt if you could throw 50k into it and not worry about losing it.
    You may be set for life in a few years.
    I think if you were to put 10k into AIB you have a better chance of seeing 50k than of losing all 10k, but I can't seem to get any solid information to allow that chance to be taken.
    yours etc,
    GSH.

I think if you were to put 10k into AIB you have a better chance of seeing 50k than of losing all 10k, but I can't seem to get any solid information to allow that chance to be taken.
    yours etc,
    GSH.

While I agree with you with regards to AIB the risk is still there. You only need to look as far as Anglo to see that logic doesnt always hold up

do yee reckon the recap will be enough.
    the top economists say it wont be, the government seem to belive it is.

if the government realise that the irish banks require more capital do yee belive the government will inject more of the tax payers money or is it likly they will nationalise both boi and aib.?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Hi,

I just finished off paying back a load to AIB last month. I then decided to get another one with the same repayments. The purpose of this load was to pay of my credit cards and burn them.

I applied online but heard nothig. Rang them and was told that i was refused because of the amount of money coming out of my bank account.

I dont save as any extra money i have is payed off my credit cards so i thought the smart thing to do was to get loan and pay them off.

I have never missed any payments on any loans / credit card payment with them and my credit rating should be impeccable. I have also taken out a car loan with BOS with i suspect is influencing their decision.

What should I do? I understand the credit crunch has resulted in banks being tighter but can i take this further?

Can i get MAB to influence them?

Can anyone suggest a way forward as i relly need to destroy the credit cards.

Thanks in advance

This isnt the right place for this but what I would do is instead of getting a loan to pay of the CC's just tell the bank you are having trouble with the repayments and you would like the cards withdrawn. Then you can ask them to restructure the repayments to take some of the heat off you.

The way things are now no bank is going to lend you money to pay off existing debt. Just leads to a vicious circle

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

AIB just out with a statement cutting guidance and raising its bad debt charges

....finally

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Brian2850

I have a long position on AIB through CFD's. What happens in the event of the following?
    1- AIB gets nationalised (Presume the position is closed at the price before shares are suspended)
    2- AIB and BOI are merged(Does the position remain open if BOI are pushed into AIB)
    3- AIB shares are suspended for a lenghty period of time

Dont know if I am missing any possibilities. Just trying to figure out my options. Thanks

Brian2850 wrote: »
    I have a long position on AIB through CFD's. What happens in the event of the following?
    1- AIB gets nationalised (Presume the position is closed at the price before shares are suspended)
    2- AIB and BOI are merged(Does the position remain open if BOI are pushed into AIB)
    3- AIB shares are suspended for a lenghty period of time

Dont know if I am missing any possibilities. Just trying to figure out my options. Thanks

1- the shares would presumably be worthless save the government offering some small compensation.
    2- I think you would then have shares in whatever the new company was. How this works I dont know for sure. Must check up on past company mergers to find out
    3- Then you sit and wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s brady

hi guys i am 18 and love the stock market i am curently sitting on abt 1000 aib shares and down 1 euro 1o cent on each share would it be advisable to buy into the market at the moment to try and push the price maybe a volume of some 2000 shares and hope other investors do the same?

or stay well away?

• Advertisement

s brady wrote: »
    hi guys i am 18 and love the stock market i am curently sitting on abt 1000 aib shares and down 1 euro 1o cent on each share would it be advisable to buy into the market at the moment to try and push the price maybe a volume of some 2000 shares and hope other investors do the same?

or stay well away?

stay well away. You dont have enough capital to move the market and even if you had the negative sentiment is too strong

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Brian2850

1- the shares would presumably be worthless save the government offering some small compensation.
    2- I think you would then have shares in whatever the new company was. How this works I dont know for sure. Must check up on past company mergers to find out
    3- Then you sit and wait

Thanks Idu. I would have thought, similar to you, that you would get shares in the new company but wasn't sure if that applied to CFD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s brady

thanks idu

now with the aib share price down to 52 cent a share is it impossible for the bank to avoid becoming under goverment control and i know share prices dont indicate the banks finacial position but with investor confidence very shaky its hard to see where the banks can raise other capital

is there any other opitions left apart from these two opitions
    1 a merger wit boi and maybe even ilp
    or
    2 a rights issue wich in aib case will futher dillute the shareholdings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

s brady wrote: »

or stay well away?

i know the cost of shares is dropping , but i can still see them going even lower in the future , best to leave them another while

when will the gov most likely inject the 3.5 billion each into aib-boi, possibly next week after aibs statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote: »

So when are we likely to see aib-boi merge and possibly use anglo as bad debt dump, i feel this will be the outcome so all is not lost with aib-boi shareholders if they are prepaired to hold for the longterm.

if the banks merge ,whats the story with the shares, ?????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I would not buy AIB. There ad's of who they are loaning too are an unemployed actor, some airhead who see's a mini copper and has to buy it without asking the price
    and a horse brider.
    Niether of which I would loan a penny of my own money to.

• Advertisement

it a concept

Advertisement