Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 4.5lb turkey "saddle"??

• 21-01-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Got a present of 2 of these, even though i have never heard of "saddle" of turkey.
    Any suggestions as to how to cook or what to do. It is boneless. Should I roast and use for different dishes, or what?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saddle? Is that a whole turkey breast? If so, I'd portion it into smaller pieces and freeze it for future use. Use some diced for curries etc, maybe mince some and cut off some escalopes or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Unfortunately I had already frozen it, so now it's thawed out. I think maybe some escalopes tonight (good plan Alun!), then cook the rest and think up something else for tomorrow.
    Thanks Alun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Harris wrote: »
    Unfortunately I had already frozen it, so now it's thawed out. I think maybe some escalopes tonight (good plan Alun!), then cook the rest and think up something else for tomorrow.
    Thanks Alun!

It's perfectly safe to refreeze it. Refreezing meat can affect the texture, which is why it is discouraged, but it will have absolutely no effect on the taste or the safety of the turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's perfectly safe to refreeze it.quote]

Wow that's news to me. Do you mean re-freeze raw? I know if I made a curry or something I could freeze that cooked. But I never heard of re-freezing meat. Thanks for advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's perfectly safe to refreeze it. Refreezing meat can affect the texture, which is why it is discouraged, but it will have absolutely no effect on the taste or the safety of the turkey.

That goes against everything I've ever learned about good food practice!!
    And I'm not a ninny when it comes to food safety.

I would NOT refreeze thawed raw meat.

I'd be interested to know the source of your information

• Advertisement

That goes against everything I've ever learned about good food practice!!
    And I'm not a ninny when it comes to food safety.

I would NOT refreeze thawed raw meat.

I'd be interested to know the source of your information

My butcher. Most of the meat a butcher gets in (unless they've slaughtered it themselves) is already frozen. They thaw it, joint it and sell it on to people who freeze it again when they get home, most of whom have heard the same stories you have about refreezing raw meat and don't realise they've been doing it themselves for years.

Other links:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-refreeze.shtml

http://www.foodsafety.ksu.edu/en/faq-details.php?a=2&fc=2&id=3193

It amazes me how much this old chestnut is trotted out by people who really should know better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As long as the meat was defrosted in the fridge, it should be perfectly safe to refreeze it raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Why am I only learning this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why does some meat have a "Suitable for home freezing" symbol (little snowflake on a blue background) on it then?

Alun wrote: »
    Why does some meat have a "Suitable for home freezing" symbol (little snowflake on a blue background) on it then?

You see that on a lot of food, not just meat, and it means that the dish (whatever it is) will not suffer a deterioration in texture/appearance if it is frozen and then thawed/cooked.

Some things just aren't suitable for freezing, but not necessarily because of a safety issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement