Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Obama Coverage already

Options
  • 21-01-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Seriously like every paper had many pages devoted to him for the last few days there are posters with the star paper, and he is constantly on the tv.
    The media is giving far too much attention. There are more important stories that are more relavent to irish people . Rant over :D What you guys think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I will remember Obama's inauguration as the day I recieved my Adult Literacy Level 1 City & Guilds Certificate .

Moving on to level 2,3 next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

And the next president will be sworn in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd say that the media gives people what they want. If people weren't creaming themselves for the next bit of footage of obama, then they wouldn't show it so much. But they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Same every time there is a new president. Just seems worse now as it is non-stop on the tv news channels also as they have to fill the time somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Seriously like every paper had many pages devoted to him for the last few days there are posters with the star paper, and he is constantly on the tv.
    The media is giving far too much attention. There are more important stories that are more relavent to irish people . Rant over :D What you guys think

Sorry Op while i agree that im not that interested in this story i dont think your opinion or my opinion qualifies as it not being of international importance. For good or for bad( who am i too judge) America are leaders on the world stage and as a result their new president is a major story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I kinda get annoyed by the bleed of American politics coverage on our news when we have more local issues to address.. but in terms of Obama - it's a nice story and an important landmark in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Yeah it's appropriate to show some deference to the occasion. But this hagiography is way over the top. And it's only just begun... the first time Obama uses the bathroom Newsweek will do a five-page spread.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Yeah it's appropriate to show some deference to the occasion. But this hagiography is way over the top. And it's only just begun... the first time Obama uses the bathroom Newsweek will do a five-page spread.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the first time Obama used the bathroom was getting on for fifty years ago.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the first time Obama used the bathroom was getting on for fifty years ago.

Oooooops... you are correct sir (almost... he is only 48 I believe). I should have stated "the Whitehouse bathroom."

Oooooops... you are correct sir (almost... he is only 48 I believe).
    Ergo "getting on for...".
    I should have stated "the Whitehouse bathroom."
    I shall now crawl further out on my limb and speculate that that's already happened too.

Still, I don't get my next Newsweek for another week, so I'll wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

On the one hand, yes the coverage annoys me. On the other, the fact that theres a capable man in the whitehouse is of immense importance globally.

Theresalso the whole thing about it being like a celebration of an event when he hasn't had the chance to do much of anything yet...Mind you, we can blame a good bit of that on the eejit that flew off in the chopper there the other day.

Ergo "getting on for...".
    Please bear with my ignorance... the term "getting on for" is new to me.
    I shall now crawl further out on my limb and speculate that that's already happened too.

Still, I don't get my next Newsweek for another week, so I'll wait and see.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR… how about this… “the first time he uses the bathroom as President of the United States of America, whether he recited the Oath of Office correctly or not”

But I believe according to Reverend Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction during President Barack Obama's inauguration, he would not have been allowed to use the Whitehouse bathroom before yesterday.

So, how many pages of your next Newsweek do you think will be devoted to THE ONE?

Nodin wrote: »
    ...the fact that theres a capable man in the whitehouse...

And you base that opinion on what exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Americans might as well get used to frequent updates by their new president. His style is that of being a high communicator (unlike Bush, who was a terrible speaker and secretive), as well as Obama adopting an approach used by FDR coming out of the Great Depression to offer reassurances to his citizens. The Irish and other news media in the world will move on in time, as soon as the novelty wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Please bear with my ignorance... the term "getting on for" is new to me.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR… how about this… “the first time he uses the bathroom as President of the United States of America, whether he recited the Oath of Office correctly or not”

But I believe according to Reverend Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction during President Barack Obama's inauguration, he would not have been allowed to use the Whitehouse bathroom before yesterday.

So, how many pages of your next Newsweek do you think will be devoted to THE ONE?
    So everybody who visits the whitehouse has to hold it in? Im sure hes been there several times before.

And you base that opinion on what exactly?

O I don't know...the ability to string a sentence together, sharp look in the eye as oppossed to a simian glaze, staff selection, rough policy statements, the way he doesn't look likely to go back down on knuckles....that kind of thing. Its a sort of potpourri of impressions, you might say.

There will be a special inaugural edition this week, I believe.

How many pages do you think they devote, on average, to each newly-elected president in the week of his inauguration?

Do you think there is a compelling reason not to dwell on the fact that this particular inauguration is historically significant?

Yes I see the historical significance, but 35 times more coverage is a bit much in my opinion.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50K6E320090121

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The coveage is more in respect of Dr. King than it is of President Obama. When you think about how blacks were treated then and how Obama is being treated now, its an incredible turnaround.

To many people interviewed on Inauguration Day, they claimed that it struck them as more historically significant than the Moon Landing. I disagree, but time will tell I guess.

Yes I see the historical significance, but 35 times more coverage is a bit much in my opinion.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50K6E320090121

But that was 35 times more than Bushs SECOND one. Second timers never get as much coverage.

• Advertisement

Cry baby Al Gore got all the press coverage the first time. ;)

Cry baby Al Gore got all the press coverage the first time. ;)

I'll give you that one..I forgot :D

Coverage is debatable, but certainly theres far too many shaggin threads on the man...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nodin wrote: »
    Coverage is debatable, but certainly theres far too many shaggin threads on the man...
    I'm loath to make a prediction here but I suspect that'll change as the flavour of the month becomes something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have a notion that the Obama fixation is largely due to the realization that this man`s policies,or at least his ability to alter the old ones,may have VERY big repercussions for Ireland and to some extent the UK.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement