Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEAM problem.

Options
  • 21-01-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

im at my wits end here i hope one of you can help me!

i have been playing FM09 for the last few weeks without as much as a glitch.
    today however in the very same laptop ive been playing it all this time, something has gone wrong with STEAM.

i cannot load up the game or even re install it because everytime i do, a message from STEAM appears saying "UPDATING STEAM".....then after a few mins a new one appears saying "ERROR - CANNOT CONNECT TO STEAM" and therefore it cannot load up the game.

I tried accessing STEAM manually but it would not accept me as a user,

i cannot even re install because it needs STEAM to uninstall.

any help here would be gratefully accepted. Thanks for reading too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

Sounds more like an internet connection problem than a FM problem. Are you having any trouble with regular web browsing?

Sometimes if my connection drops I can't connect to steam - and if steam hasn't stored your login details (and it seems to lose them sometimes for no reason) then you won't be able to login to play in 'offline' mode until your connection returns and you can sign in to steam properly. If you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

thanks for your reply but no unfortunely its not as simple as that.

in college today two others were playing FM fine next to me and i was browsing away.

it seems STEAM has lost my details too.. how do i fix that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Steam servers are probably down. It happens from time to time. If it's the same tomorrow then you have a problem.

thanks!

heres to hoping il be back at the helm of arsenal tomo rather than posting here!!

well feck it im back...

i tried again today to no avail.

then i thought id remove the game and STEAM from comp and re install.

so i removed the game + steam, but now the computer doesnt recognise the CD????

help?

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    well feck it im back...

i tried again today to no avail.

then i thought id remove the game and STEAM from comp and re install.

so i removed the game + steam, but now the computer doesnt recognise the CD????

help?

When you go to My computer (XP) Computer (Vista) does it show FM disk is in the drive?

yeah...it just doesnt react when i click on it. nothing happens..:(

Kirnsy wrote: »
    yeah...it just doesnt react when i click on it. nothing happens..:(

So now STEAM is not working and the game is not responding when you click on the disk.

Hmmmm....

Right click on the disk and find the .exe startup and try starting from that. Right click, explore etc.

Other than that I think there is something wrong if STEAM isn't working and your computer can't read the FM disk.

Leave it with me and I will try to look for a solution. I had the same problem with a previous version of FM and I fixed it I just can't find the solution right now.

By the way you on Vista or XP?

ardscoil you're a beaut!!

i did the .exe thing and we're back in biz.

re-installed game and have even picked up from where i left off....

which is just after losing the last 4 games in a row and dropping from 1st to 3d :(

thanks a mill again, now i can go read your guide :)

Glad to help man!

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?p=2172566#post2172566

The most update version of the guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Right, rather than starting another thread, I'll stick this on here:

I'm having problems with Steam as well, or at least understanding it!:mad::(

I got FM09 off Santy and installed it just before the dinner on Xmas day. All grand, as I was connected to the web at the mammy's and at home. Sometimes where I wasn't connected to the internet, I could still play FM. It now seems that I can't unless I'm connected :(.
    (Which is a bit bothersome when you're trying to pass the time of an evening in work!!)

Can anyone help me out? Do I have to be connected to the internet?

Any help appreciated, as I'm really enjoying the game and have just been viewing Ardscoil Ris' guide and am dying to try a few things with my already near-invincible Man City team!:cool: Thanks.

Right, rather than starting another thread, I'll stick this on here:

I'm having problems with Steam as well, or at least understanding it!:mad::(

I got FM09 off Santy and installed it just before the dinner on Xmas day. All grand, as I was connected to the web at the mammy's and at home. Sometimes where I wasn't connected to the internet, I could still play FM. It now seems that I can't unless I'm connected :(.
    (Which is a bit bothersome when you're trying to pass the time of an evening in work!!)

Can anyone help me out? Do I have to be connected to the internet?

Any help appreciated, as I'm really enjoying the game and have just been viewing Ardscoil Ris' guide and am dying to try a few things with my already near-invincible Man City team!:cool: Thanks.

Right I know Steam allows you to play games offline, but only if the game is fully updated. Also, sometimes you have to log in to steam (online login) once a month or once every two weeks in order for steam to make sure your copy of the game is legal.

So having said that it could be a number of things.

1) Update the game through Steam

2) You could also go to File and go to Offline Mode and see if that works.

That's the usually problems with STEAM so let us know how you get on with it.

If you have the physical copy of the game you could uninstall it from STEAM and install it from the disk and once you register that you don't have to use the disk again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Good man Ardscoil, if i knew ya I'd buy you a pint!:P

I just stuck it on to offline mode and it's workin grand now. I think I'll write the weekend off.....and win the Prem in style avec Man City.:cool:

I might try just install it from the disc in a while just to avoid any more Steam-related issues!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Glad to help.

Advertisement