Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Praying the Rosary (Important Catholic Prayer)

• 21-01-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

An important Roman Catholic prayer is The Holy Rosary, a personal, group or family prayer that should be recited at least once a day.

By reciting the Holy Rosary and my mediating on its mysteries we are asking Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin, to ask God for something on our behalf.

Ask for spiritual guidance for the soul and then any materialistic or health requests but only if its God's will. God knows what is best for us.

You don't need a rosary beads to say it but it helps to have one. :)

Step 1:
    In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Step 2:
    I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living
    and the dead.I believe in the Holy Sprit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
    Amen.

Step 3:
    Then say 1 Our Father, 3 Hail Marys (for the virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity) and then 1 Glory Be:[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Step 4:
    Introduce decade 1 mystery for the day of the week *
    Decade 1 - 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys and 1 Glory Be

Step 5:
    Introduce decade 2 mystery for the day of the week *
    Decade 2 - 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys and 1 Glory Be

Step 6:
    Introduce decade 3 mystery for the day of the week *
    Decade 3 - 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys and 1 Glory Be

Step 7:
    Introduce decade 4 mystery for the day of the week *
    Decade 4 - 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys and 1 Glory Be

Step 8:
    Introduce decade 5 mystery for the day of the week *
    Decade 5 - 1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys and 1 Glory Be

* Monday, Thursday and Saturday - Introduce Joyful Mysteries as given here.

* Tuesday and Friday - Introduce Sorrowful Mysteries as given here.

* Wednesday and Sunday - Introduce Glorious Mysteries as given here.

The more faith we have in The Rosary the more help we get. :)

Step 9: Concluding Prayers

After the completion of five mysteries (5 decades), or 15 or 20, the following is customarily said:
    Hail Holy Queen (or Salve Regina may be sung)

Hail, holy Queen, mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile show us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

(Verse) Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.

(Response) That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

(Verse) Let us pray,

(Response) O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation. Grant, we beseech Thee, that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that we may both imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Step 10:
    For the intentions of the Holy Father. Our Father, one Hail Mary, and one Glory Be.

Step 11:
    In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Seems like a lot when written but its not. Say it slowly and with sincereness and it is extremely powerful. It will take around 10 minutes to say in full. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pamela111

The 15 promises of Our Lady and The Holy Rosary are given:
    http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/15promise.htm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Optional, not obligatory. Praying the rosary I mean.

It has an interesting history; being first for those who could not read, to pray Our Fathers instead of the Psalms.

Some find it a great help; others the opposite. Sr Wendy Beckett is one of the latter. As am I; love to make them and teach the prayer, but it is not for me.

It is just one way to pray; many Anglican also pray it and there is a beautiful Anglican Rosary devotion also.

And of course Prayer Ropes for the Jesus Prayer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the first rosery came from the buddhists and the strange thing is that it has the same number of beeds on it as the christian one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

not for me its man made its not a dogma of the rc church in the bible it says ask the father in my name and it will be granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

What is the purpose of saying "hail Mary" in a prayer?

No offense intended. Just curiousity from a fellow Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Sure isn't the rosary great?
    What is the purpose of saying "hail Mary" in a prayer?
    Not an expert here, but she was the first Christian ever. She believed that Jesus was the saviour even before he was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

just wondering can any one fill me in if mary the mother of jesus was perfect and with out sin why was jesus born to save the world this is why i only pray to the father through jesus i am sure god hears all prayer but i take the short cut :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

"tis not a short cut; is the Only Way.. Bless you..... You are right...
    just wondering can any one fill me in if mary the mother of jesus was perfect and with out sin why was jesus born to save the world this is why i only pray to the father through jesus i am sure god hears all prayer but i take the short cut :confused:

Advertisement