Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC plus Cheapest phone option

Options
  • 21-01-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of BT's overpriced package that i'm on and the fact the BB is only 1meg, so i'm gonna get the 10meg UPC i think. I can't seem to find it in a package that just includes phone and internet (ie no digital tv) so i was wondering what the cheapest way of getting UPC broadband and hanging onto my number would be? I wouldn't be making outgoing calls with the number as i intend to set up Voip, i just want to be able (for my less tech-savvy family) to still receive calls on that number and also have good broadband. is there a way to buy a fixed number from a voip company? i intend to use voipcheap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

UPC charge €38 for 10Mbps broadband without TV, and €5 for phone (it's €5 if you have either broadband or digital TV with them also, otherwise €11). So basically, €43 per month for 10Mbps broadband and phone service, and no TV. You can port an existing number over too.

You could also, if you like, just get the UPC broadband for €38 for 10Mbps and then sign up to someone like blueface, but you have to sign up to a €10 per month call package in order to receive, or port over and keep, an 01 number. Dunno what voipcheap offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i didn't know i could add phone for 5euro, thanks for that. I think i'll take that option and just have a voip phone separately or i'm sure i could find some kind of dual channel voip phone that takes calls in on one line and sends outgoing on another? Voipcheap are incredibly competitive, i was using them on my laptop for a while and 10 euro gets you free international calls to landlines (for 3 months each time you top up) and it was about 10c a minute to mobiles i think. blueface dont seem incredibly cheap for a voip company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Something like this is probably what you're looking for. Let's you run a VoIP line, and your UPC phoneline through the one handset or house extension. So calls could come in, say from your UPC line, but when you want to make a call it could go out on the VoIP line - and all through the same handset, or extension loop. Haven't looked at voip cheap myself - I have blueface running in the house myself, allows me call Europe and USA landlines for just over 1c per minute day or night. It's actually cheaper to call a US or UK landline on Blueface than it is to call a local number on eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Recently signed up to Blueface on NTL 10Mb. Overall, very happy. Number ported from UTV with zero hassle.

Advertisement