Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using rawl plugs

Options
  • 21-01-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hi,
    how do you use rawl plugs? i'm not sure what size hole to drill. should u make a hole big enough to stick rawl plug into wall in full first before putting in screw or do you screw the screw(!) and rawl plug in at same time?

DIY Virgin, thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

hi,
    how do you use rawl plugs? i'm not sure what size hole to drill. should u make a hole big enough to stick rawl plug into wall in full first before putting in screw or do you screw the screw(!) and rawl plug in at same time?

DIY Virgin, thanks

Yea just big enough for the plug on its own,It should give you the size of hole to dill on the packet/box. 14mm or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

thetyreman wrote: »
    Yea just big enough for the plug on its own,It should give you the size of hole to dill on the packet/box. 14mm or whatever

thnks but they don't say anything about the size :mad: just trial and erro, i guess but was afraid to make too big a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What colour are they?

Red ones require a 5.5mm diameter hole

grey - does that tell u the size??

should they be shoved totally into wall before screw put in or does the screw pull the rawl plug in in the process, if that makes ANY sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Are they the same as these?

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-3796-Rawlplug-Uno-Grey-Wall-Plug-10mm-x-36mm-Pack-of-80.html

Yes they go fully into the wall before putting in the screw.

• Advertisement

Rawl plug goes in on its own, into the hole. It should fit in, but not be loose. Then you screw whatever you want to the wall, and make sure the screw goes into the rawl plug in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Rawl plug should fit snuggly in the hole, if its too big you will just push the plug through the plaster board.

If you are not sure about the size, start with a smaller drill bit and just work your way up untill the plug fits

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're really a DIY noob, you can buy sets with the rawlplugs, screws and even the correct sized drill all in one package in places like Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 reg_anam

plug should just fit into the hole - but its ok if you need to tap it in lightly with a hammer (so long as the screw is suited to the plug)

there is often a size guide on the on the centre of the pack of plugs - basically a hole indicating the size of drill required.

they are fairly forgiving - screw will force plug into the sides of the hole to get grip.

Make sure the hole is deep enough to take the screw completely (the screw can be slightly longer than the plug)

if it works ok you will know and all will be fine !

i am not having a good day :( have power drill. using the bronze ones. only goes in about 7mm - too short. which ones should i use? the bronze is the one i usually use. is it the silver one now or the black one? i must have hit block/brick now. trying(badly) to put up curtain pole.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

drill bit will more than likely be silver with a broad tip
    for masonery...does your drill have hammer action,if so
    use this setting,the flat piece of plastic that holds the rawl
    plugs together will usually have an icon on it to tell the drill
    bit diameter needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Sounds to me that you are using rawl plugs & screws that came with something, e.g. curtain rails, ?.

Hubby always says that they are rubbish, especially the screws - too short and only one line on the head - he prefers a cross on the head.

Any time I want something like that fitted, he goes off and gets his own screws & rawl plugs.

All I can testify is that nothing he has put up has fallen down - yet :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

If you are fixing something in plasterboard (hollow) these are the dogs bolox and will hold a lot of weight. No drill needed.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Or these....your only man.
    http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=34

The wall will fall down first..:D:D
    Available in most D.I.Y. stores

yep - with the curtain pole so no info!

dh0661 wrote: »
    Sounds to me that you are using rawl plugs & screws that came with something, e.g. curtain rails, ?.

Hubby always says that they are rubbish, especially the screws - too short and only one line on the head - he prefers a cross on the head.

Any time I want something like that fitted, he goes off and gets his own screws & rawl plugs.

All I can testify is that nothing he has put up has fallen down - yet :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

For most light fixings red plugs are sufficient and the holes can be either 5.5 or 6mm. If the screw is fairly slim (3 or 3.5mm) I might drill a 5.5mm hole as the screw will expand the plug and give a good fit in the hole. If using heavier/ longer screws like, say 4mm I might drill a 6mm hole. Anything bigger and I'd use a 7mm bit with a brown (7mm plug). It's all down to experience and preference really. Sometimes the wall can be rock hard and drills cleanly, other times it may be weaker and the hole may be oversize as a result (in this case use a smaller bit). For any DIY novice I recommend they get some hands on experience from someone who knows what they're at (dad, uncle, partner, friend whatever). There are a multitude of fixings available for plasterboard, I like Rayfix and the metal screw in types (already mentioned). Some of the other expanding types can make big holes in the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    If you are fixing something in plasterboard (hollow) these are the dogs bolox and will hold a lot of weight. No drill needed.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg

are they in woodies?

edit the nail and hammer at the top right of http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/bookstore.htm is so me its uncanny

are they in woodies?

edit the nail and hammer at the top right of http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/bookstore.htm is so me its uncanny

Yes or B&Q off the Belgard Rd - better value than Woodies IMO.

Careful you dont hit an elec cable or pipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

do they come in different sizes i want to use them for a towel rail instead of the screws and plugs with it to avoid drilling

Ive only ever seen two sizes.
    Type 1 - has a sharp top to pierce the plaster board - dont need a drill. Can be lightly hammered till the threads hit the plaster, then you use a Philips screw driver to make it flush with the hollow plaster board.
    Type 2 - stuby non spiky. Smaller but the same idea, but you need a drill to give the item a start in the plaster board.
    Idea - use a small diameter nail and gently hammer it through the target wall. You can determine how hollow the wall is that way. A nail can be used to give the thingy a start as well when you buy a pack.
    If in doubt buy the two types and keep the receipt. Use one and hope you won’t need the other and return it at a later date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement