Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stance/Throw issue

• 21-01-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi lads, first post here really good forum by the way. Does anyone suffer with their stance and throw being inconsistant. Some times i feel slightly off balance when throwing, falling in near the board kinda. Also my throw is straight but it is inconsistant with the height, some times its like my throw gets weak, ie. throwing for treble 20 and hitting 25/ bull, does my head in!!! Anyone any tips to sort this out it would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Hi mate can you record your throwing action or stance from your camera fone and then ya can tell/see urself where your going wrong??Just stick your camera fone at the bottom corner off your dart cabinet and press record, oh and dont worry you wont hit your phone unless your absolute pants!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well your stance issue can be sorted with concentration. Make sure that you always have your feet in the same place every time you go to the oche. This way you won't feel off balance when you throw. If you fall forward it could be that you are forcing the dart too much, that is you are kinda pushing it towards the board rather than doing your usual throw. This can easily put you off balance. I honestly can't stress enough how important it is to concentrate that you stand in the exact same place and hold the dart in the exact same way every time you throw. This should also help your issue with how hard you throw the dart. If you throw the exact same way every time eventually you will work out exactly how hard to throw the dart and it will almost become second nature too.

Just concentrate on those things and you should improve. Well it worked for me anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Sorry matty, me and technology dont get on too well, could be a weeks work in that. Its driving me mad its like i find a good position and throw but then throw something really obscure around the middle of the board and then i try to compensate by changing throwing style, its like i know its going wrong before the darts leave my hand. i think your right to concentrate more before throwing. Iv been practicing for the past 2 hours and have just been pis**ng my self off, complete waste of time. Sometimes i also find i dont flick my wrist and i think this have something to do with having a week throw sometimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

sorry matty didnt read your reply properly yea sounds like a good idea to record my own throw for myself too see. Off to try that now... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

go on to john lowe wed site he has a few handy tips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Forget my last post, as I don't think it will improve your game or anybody else's. You could try this;
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoHZRRdeDo
    or this;
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd6a6Gj-W6o&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

You dont need to lean far into a stance for a throw

i find myself at times almost standing near vertical to smallest of leans and throw away

i found that this helped a little because the height wont vary because im standing straight up almost, and because im not leaning its hard to unbalance yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I myself have a vey unusual stance...I lean forward with my left foot foot to the oche and my right foot well behind...Have always done it..
    Played Part about two years ago and he told me I had to change it because it won't work...Never did and I'm starting to throw as well as I ever have at the minute!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I'm inclined to overreach and put myself off balance when I first approach the oche but will step back and 'regroup' . Stepping up the second time I'm much more comfortable .
    The theory is that your stance should allow you to keep your body still - the only movement should be from your shoulder/arm . Once you get your stance settled practise will pay much greater dividends . That said , I remember Jocky Wilson wobbling all over the place and still hitting 180s so I could be talking crap here :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement